Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass
WHIPPED CREAM AND OTHER DELIGHTS

A&M SP-4110

sp4110.jpg

Released also in monaural as LP110 and on CD as A&M CD 3157 and Shout! Factory DK 32868 (with two bonus tracks)

Tracks:

Side One
1. A Taste Of Honey (Scott-Marlow) 2:43
2. Green Peppers (Sol Lake) 1:31
3. Tangerine (Mercer-Shertinzer) 2:46
4. Bittersweet Samba (Sol Lake) 1:46
5. Lemon Tree (Will Holt) 2:23
6. Whipped Cream (Naomi Neville [Alan Toussaint]) 2:33

Side Two
1. Love Potion No. 9 (Lieber-Stoller) 3:02
2. El Garbanzo (Sol Lake) 2:13
3. Ladyfingers (Toots Thielmans) 2:43
4. Butterball (Mike Henderson) 2:12
5. Peanuts (Luis Guerrero) 2:09
6. Lollipops and Roses (Tony Velona) 2:27

Produced by Herb Alpert & Jerry Moss
Arranged by Herb Alpert
Engineered by Larry Levine/Gold Star Recording Studios
Album Designed by Peter Whorf Graphics

Liner Notes:

A lot has been said about Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass, and there's a lot more to be said about them. Their popularity has grown enormously in the two years since admirers started shouting "OLE" for 'The Lonely Bull."

It began with the teenagers, we thought. But at the Brass' debut as Concert artists in San Francisco, we noticed, to our delight, that it's easier to skin an amoeba than to catalog the "Typical Tijuana Brass Fan." The teens were there, but so were the "hippies" and the "squares," the "little old ladies" and the screen starlets, the celebrities and those who make them celebrities. In fact, one admirer, who looked as though he stepped from a page in Esquire said, "You would think that a lot of these people would be home watching the man who serves the bubbles.

We noticed another joyous thing. Herb Alpert was something special. His good looks and sensitivity brought an immediate response from the industry. The word is that Herb Alpert could make stardom in films. The agents, bookers, managers and publicists picked on Herb and the Brass and the phones started ringing. Life, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass are in happy harmony.

There is a triumphant atmosphere surrounding the Brass today. The pleasure that comes from performing for enthusiasts belongs to them. Our joys are compounded by your acceptance. And so, on behalf of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, we humbly thank you for listening.

-- A & M Records

The CD re-release of this album is what got me hooked onto Herb and the TB ..... all over again. Love the Re-whipped version too.

I have to go with Bittersweet Samba. When I play the album this is the song that gets my toes tapping, my head bobbing and before you know it I’m doing the samba. I only wish it was longer. Just when I’m really getting in to the song it ends; 1 minute and 46 seconds is not enough, Herb should have stretched it out to at least twice that time.

Mike
Doin' the Samba on line :laugh:

"A Taste Of Honey", is my #1...! #2...? "Lemon Tree"... I think "Lollipops & Roses" is also good...! (#3)

--And let's not forget "Love Potion #9...! (Yeah, #...--) :jester:

Dave

Like many of the Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass titles, we've discussed this album before in the context of the Shout! Factory re-releases. But here, as the Classic Album Of The Week, we'll discuss it again as the original album, as it dazzled us all those years ago. (Our original discussion is buried in Rudy's archives of the old board.)

I'd like to take a moment to thank Steve Sidoruk for filling in for me on last week's Classic AOTW. I was out of town an unable to properly post it - but Steve came to the rescue with his usual thoroughness.

This was one of the earliest titles in my Herb Alpert collection - and I had the mono version. It was gotten at a time when I had a boxey suitcase-style record player. Sometime later I'd gotted a stereo phonograph and a couple of more Herb Alpert albums for Christmas - this time in stereo.

So for me, the mono version of the album sounds "right", though I've adapted to the stereo version after many years of listening to it that way.

On CD, WHIPPED CREAM would be my second purchase in the TjB line, as I found an early Japanese version on the new Compact Disc format - the same day that I also found S.R.O. Little did I know then as I splurged for those old D32Y Japanese pressings how valuable the S.R.O. one would become over the years, somewhat lost now that Shout! Factory has widely re-released the albums.

The insert picture on the WHIPPED CREAM album from that D32Y pressing is an oddly dark one, not at all like the original LP. The green is very over-saturated.

I have to honestly state that my favorite is "A Taste Of Honey." A killler TjB track if there ever was one.

Harry

testLP110.jpg

A Monarch Test pressing.

SP4110.jpg

A first pressing with logo at the top.

WHIPPEDSP410tan.jpg

SP 410 tan Little LP stereo jukebox pressing.

WHIPPEDSP410white.jpg

SP 410 white Little LP stereo jukebox pressing.

Session info:
1/21/65 - Gold Star Recording Studios - Whipped Cream, Follow The Leader, Don't That Prove - Herb Alpert - trumpet, Dave Alpert - drums, Frank DeVito - drums & vocals, Bud Coleman - guitar & mandolin, Bob Edmondson - trombone, William Green - sax/flute/reeds, Pete Jolly - piano, Carol Kaye - bass, Richard Leith - trombone.

3/10/65 - Gold Star Recording Studios - A Taste Of Honey, Lemon Tree, Tangerine, Lollipops And Roses, Together - Herb Alpert - trumpet, Julius Wechter - marimba, Hal Blaine - drums, Bud Coleman - guitar & mandolin, Milt Holland - percussion, Pete Jolly - piano, Roy Main - trombone, Lew McCreary - trombone, Bill Pitman - guitar, Lyle Ross - ukelele/tuba/bass/violin, Robert Ross - ?

3/10/65 - Gold Star Recording Studios - Da-Da, Green Peppers, Love Potion #9, Tico Taco, Sol's Samba, Lady Fingers - Herb Alpert - trumpet, Julius Wechter - marimba, Bob Edmondson - trombone, Hal Blaine - drums, Bud Coleman - guitar & mandolin, Milt Holland - percussion, Bill Pitman - guitar, Ray Pohlman - bass, Jay Migliori - sax, Jewell Grant - sax & clarinet, Russell Bridges - piano.

Notes: I don't know if the dates of the last two sessions are correct, i.e. the same day, but that is what the research showed.

According to the session info, the sax solo on LOVE POTION #9 was either Jay Migliori or Jewell Grant...we'd previously speculated that it might have been either Plas Johnson or Steve Douglas.

As for my favorite track, I still have to go with LEMON TREE. It isn't as flashy as some of the others, but it's by far the best take on the song I've ever heard. I especially like the piano during the intro, playing the root of the chord and then almost sliding into the 5th...for a long time, I thought somebody had found a way to play "bender piano". should have known it was Pete Jolly.

Dan

Favorite track...probably Lollipops and Roses. Tijuana Brass sound and style on display there.

Runner up - Tangerine. That one showcases Herb as a lyrical, melodic trumpet player with a great sense of phrasing and control. Herb actually improves the song with his playing and interpretation.

My favorite track would be Green Peppers. Love the melody of this very cool but short tune. I have to agree with the Captain as I choose Tangerine as my runner up. Its my favorite version of this classic song. Herb's improvised humming solo in the song's middle is surprisingly nice.

Also I must say Lollipops & Roses is terrific. Love the drums here. To me this tune always had a Christmas feel to it, perhaps the background bells during the bridge. And of course A Taste Of Honey is great.

I'll never forget the first time I heard this album -- it was on a 4-track tape (yes, not an 8-track) on a boat belonging to some family friends. I didn't know who the artist was at the time - I found that out later around the time GOING PLACES was released. I didn't actually buy this one until I had three or four of the later albums.

I had one of the original A&M CDs but during the TJB CD drought, I sold it on ebay for $149.00!

There are four songs here that would rotate into my top-favorite TJB songs -- "Green Peppers," "Bittersweet Samba," "A Taste of Honey," and "Love Potion #9." I really like "Tangerine" and "Lolipops and Roses" as well.

I do find when listening, that the album seems to run out of steam after the strong side-2 kickoff of "Love Potion," but then picks up momentum again with "Lollipops and Roses" ... and then it's over too soon! It was great to hear the two bonus songs on the Shout! reissue, but to me the album officially ends with "Lollipops."

OK. 15 tracks. I can guess some of these were re-named to fit the food theme. But what's what here? Two must have been the bonus tracks on the CD. Right? Which one is still out there, DeVito's vocal?

The following single was also recorded during the 3rd Whipped Cream session:

ALMO International 219 - Carl Walden & The Humans - I'll Never Let You Go b/w Watusi Lucy

One would expect that another title would be there to back this single, however, the notes listed only the above tune. I am looking further to see what the 2nd side of the above single is - to see if it was mistakenly grouped with the Whipped Cream album tracks. If I can find an answer, I'll amend my post.

Note: my previous post corrected to delete I'll Never Let You Go, as I have identified it as the missing side to above Almo single.

For a guy who's been following this music for 45 years (I was a mere child then!)this information is fascinating and much appreciated. There's always something new to learn!

Steve Sidoruk said:
Russell Bridges - piano.

I believe that we know "Russell Bridges" by his other name - "Leon Russell".

Harry

Right. I still have this 1970s image of him from his Capitol albums - he had hair down to there, was singing hippie-country music....seemed like a total mismatch for Herb!

DAN BOLTON said:
...LOVE POTION #9 was either Jay Migliori or Jewell Grant...

I don't know -- when I listen it sounds like two saxaphones (one baritone and one tenor) to my ears... So I say it's both of them.

--Mr. Bill

Steve Sidoruk said:
The following single was also recorded during the 3rd Whipped Cream session.

I'd say this may have been a common practice for a "new" company, that is to get as much material done during a session to save studio costs (until they built their own studio of course).

As an example I know we all speculated different ideas on "In A Little Spanish Town" being recorded as early as the South of the Border sessions... That may very well have been the instrumental music bed for Lucille Starr's version. It'd almost make sense.

I also doubt any of the extra tunes here are what became either of the two bonus tracks ("Blueberry Park" and "Rosemary") -- they both sound like much more recent tracks.

--Mr. Bill

to get as much material done during a session to save studio costs
Another good example is "Third Man Theme," which of course was released on the A side of the "Taste of Honey" single (until Taste became the A side!) I assume that was among the first material done for GOING PLACES.

Man, I remember that as a kid I held this album cover up with one hand on many occasions. But I digress.... :wink:

There are too many favorites here for me, so I went with "Lollipops And Roses" first, followed by "Green Peppers", "El Garbanzo", "Bittersweet Samba", "Taste Of Honey" and "Love Potion #9". There are two songs that I've never really cared for: "Peanuts" (I hate polkas) and "Ladyfingers". I think this was the fourth TJB album that I had heard and finally collected. Still sounds great today!

Capt. Bacardi

Mike said:
I have to go with Bittersweet Samba. ...I only wish it was longer. Just when I'm really getting in to the song it ends; 1 minute and 46 seconds is not enough, Herb should have stretched it out to at least twice that time. Mike

I agree. Too short a song for such a good song. When I was a kid I played this track over and over because I liked it so much. Nowadays I still like "Bittersweet" but I find myself cuing up "Green Peppers" (an even shorter tune!!!) more often.

Other than the all-too-cheesy "Butterball" and the corny "Peanuts", this album is one I can just play straight through. If these two tracks had originally been omitted to allow space for "Rosemary" and "Blueberry Park" (instead of the other way around!), I would consider it to be a perfect album for Herb and the Brass.

As it was, though, it was still pretty darn good. Millions of others thought so too! (Speaking of which: Does anybody know how many copies of this thing actually sold during the time it was on the Hit Parade?) I remember reading somewhere that WCAOD spent over two years in the Top 100 albums! Crazy. And this was some two decades before Michael Jackson's THRILLER.

According to Joel Whitburn's Billboard Book of #1 Albums, "A Taste Of Honey" won Grammy awards in November of 1965 for Record of the Year, Best Instrumental Performance (non-jazz), Best Instrumental Arrangement, and Best Engineered Record of 1965. Every old-timer I know says that the popularity of this thing was just absolutely ridiculous. I only wish I had been born a few years earlier so I could have seen all the commotion that my parents told me about all of this.

Tony

Does anybody know how many copies of this thing actually sold during the time it was on the Hit Parade?)
I seem to remember reading somewhere it sold around nine million copies. Of course this was before the age of platinum and "multi-platinum" certification so exact figures might not be available. Steve S. might be able to provide more info.

I recall reading somewhere that by 1970 there was a copy in one in seven (or nine) American homes... I'd ahve to dig that one up from my files once I'm back state side.

--Mr Bill

WHIPPED CREAM also has the distinction of debuting the box-arrow device to denote [->STEREO<-].

Harry

What's wrong with Peanuts??? Everyone should love a good polka! :D Besides, it's the only one in the TJB songbook.

Back
Top Bottom