Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Butterball

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Peanuts

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Lollipops and Roses

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
I don't know what Cinco De Mayo is but I don't think it's really a polka. It could be with the right arrangement, I guess.

What's wrong with Peanuts??? Everyone should love a good polka! Besides, it's the only one in the TJB songbook.
I guess for me it sounds out of place on the album. It would have fit better on LONELY BULL. It doesn't have the same "band" sound that the rest of the album does. And, when I think polka, I think Myron Floren.

:laugh: True but the reason I said what I said, was LONELY BULL has more of a plethora of different sounds than WHIPPED CREAM does, so the sound wouldn't be as out of place.

A Taste Of Honey was Herb's breakthrough in Scandinavia. It became his "signature song" here. (But "Going Places" would become his longest charting and probably best selling album up here.) I got hold of "WCAOD" early in the summer of 1970. I was eleven, and it was my third TJB LP. I had "America" (the budget price collection) that I had received as a Christmas present from my parents in 69 and in between I got hold of "Going Places" after a week in hospital in the winter of 1970. Strange how this music is so connected to childhood memories. I liked most of the songs on WCAOD, but especially "the fast ones", it was only much later that I developed a taste for the ballads as well.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

I liked most of the songs on WCAOD, but especially "the fast ones", it was only much later that I developed a taste for the ballads as well
Same here. As with a lot of the TJB ballads. I hated most of them when I was a kid but now I like some of them as well as my favorite fast'uns.

What's with all of this hating on "Peanuts"? I must say I love the song, and so, after a long and hard process deciding which one to vote for (after all, there are absolutely zero clunkers on this album, even the Shout Factory version with the added tracks), I decided to vote for it so it wouldn't feel bad about all of you making fun of it.

Steve Sidoruk said:
What's wrong with Peanuts??? Everyone should love a good polka! :D Besides, it's the only one in the TJB songbook.

Well...there's one small segment of MAGIC TRUMPET that to my ears, anyway, had a bit of a polka-type flair to it. It's the segment just after the first chorus where the key changes, and things get a bit boisterous. I used to date a girl who was of Polish descent, and she was adamant that that section of the song was indeed a polka. The rest of the arrangement is a march, of course; but there is a bit of polka-like flair in that one segment.

Dan

The thing about polkas is that they all seem like the same song after awhile...somebody once said that there was only one polka song ever written. A lot of musicians seem to hate them, but I'm not one of them. They might not have a challenging chord structure, but some of the melodies are rather complex. If you don't believe me, just watch a Myron Floren video sometime...the man's fingers are always a blur.

Some of my favorite movie moments are from GRUMPY OLD MEN where they're out on the lake ice fishing to the OIRA,OIRA POLKA...there's no soundtrack available for the first movie, only GRUMPIER OLD MEN, which is a little lighter on the polkas, just the awful CHICKEN DANCE...oh, well...

Dan

Mike Blakesley said:
And, when I think polka, I think Myron Floren.

I think of Frankie Yankovic. And family parties when Uncle George used to put his stack of polka records on the turntable, and crank it up loud (since he was hard of hearing, having worked on the paint line at the Ford Wixom plant). I grew up with Beer Barrel Polka, in fact... :D

Back
Top Bottom