HERB ON MAXIMUM GROOVES - COAST TO COAST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
Or support the Corner and buy it from Amazon. :wink:

Thanks for the heads up, Steve! I've already ordered mine - through Amazon, of course. :wink:

Capt. Bacardi
...who almost has enough material for a 4th CD of guest appearances...

I finally got to listen to this CD and Herb sounds pretty good right here! :thumbsup: This whole CD is meant to get away from the smooooooth jazz concept and go back to the contemporary jazz style a la the Crusaders and David Sanborn in their earlier years. Jason Miles put this thing together. You may remember that it was Miles who produced Gato Barbieri's The Shadow Of The Cat and Herb was on 3 tunes on the album.

As for the track "Chasing Shadows" Herb plays a basic melody and just takes off from there, sometimes exchanging phrases with Russ Freeman (of Rippingtons fame) on guitar. And here's the good news for many of you - there's no mute anywhere on this tune!!! :wink: Herb plays primarily in the lower and middle range here and sounds quite comfortable in this style.

I have a hunch that Herb's next album will have Jason Miles' input. With this album and Gato's album Herb just seems to be comfortable in whatever setting Miles creates. It's a good match!

There's an A&M/Horizon connection here as well: Buzz Feiten is on one track, and was on the Neil Larsen albums. Other artists include Michael Brecker, Jay Beckenstein and Tom Schuman (from Spyro Gyra), Will Lee, Hiram Bullock. There's also a tribute to Herbie Mann called "You Da Mann". A nice collection!

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Herb Alpert - "Chasing Shadows"

I've not gotten this one yet. Every time I find myself in a record store, I can't remember the title, and plowing through all of the many jazz compilations is just not in the cards. Maybe I'll order it online.

Anyway, Larsen and Feiten were also involved in Lani Hall's DOUBLE OR NOTHING album, both in composing songs and performing.

http://www.amcorner.com/lanihall/index.php

Harry
...needing to find this one, online...

Larsen and Feiten also left A&M after their Horizon and Lani contributions to for The Larsen/Feiten Band who did two LPs for (IIRC) Columbia in the early 80s. I often wondered why their efforts as a duo were not A&M products given that both were involved in so many A&M and Horizon projects in the late 70s and early 80s...

--Mr Bill
NP: Larsen's High Gear (SP 738/3117)

Harry said:
...Larsen and Feiten were also involved in Lani Hall's DOUBLE OR NOTHING album, both in composing songs and performing.

I liked DOUBLE OR NOTHING from the time I first saw the cover -- before I'd even taken it home and put it on the turntable. The cover photo alone speaks volumes...a vibrant Lani Hall strutting through city traffic...hair blowing in the breeze...incredible!

Long ago, in conversation with Lani, I learned that DOUBLE OR NOTHING contained a few favorites of hers: "To Know" and "So Long" -- both sensational ballads.

One of my favorites is "Sunshine After The Rain" -- a great, upbeat tune.

I will say, however, that I've never figured out the meaning behind "Meni Devol". It remains a mystery to this day.

Jon

Wow, Jon! "Sunshine After The Rain" is my favorite on DorN as well, with "Magic Garden" a close second. Both feature dynamite synth programming/solos by Michael Boddicker, who did similar duties on HA/HM. The 12" single that features both these tunes is among my most-played 12" singles... I believe Meni Devol is a Hebrew folk song or ballad.

I know DorN gets short shrift among Lani fans but I was hooked on it as soon as I bought it, just before I joined then Navy in 1979. I've always considered this Lani's companion piece to Herb's Rise. I've always paired Lani's work with a Herb effort -- Sundown with YS-TSB, Hello, It's Me with Coney Island and SweetBird with JY&M (though I know release dates don't necessarily jibe).

The cover of DorN (photographically speaking) was also my first education in what a long exposure coupled with a flash can achieve...

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
I believe Meni Devol is a Hebrew folk song or ballad.

Gotcha...what I don't understand is the meaning behind Lani's lyric...cryptic at best.

Mr Bill said:
I know DorN gets short shrift among Lani fans but I was hooked on it as soon as I bought it, just before I joined then Navy in 1979. I've always considered this Lani's companion piece to Herb's Rise. I've always paired Lani's work with a Herb effort -- Sundown with YS-TSB, Hello, It's Me with Coney Island and SweetBird with JY&M (though I know release dates don't necessarily jibe).

Actually, when it comes to the least-played of my Lani collection, ALBANY PARK pretty much takes the cake...an album that never really 'worked' for me. I, too, consider DOUBLE OR NOTHING to be a companion to RISE -- I agree with your other comparisons as well. Musically, Lani's albums seemed to mirror where Herb was at that particular time.

Jon

brasil_nut said:
Long ago, in conversation with Lani, I learned that DOUBLE OR NOTHING contained a few favorites of hers: "To Know" and "So Long" -- both sensational ballads.

One of my favorites is "Sunshine After The Rain" -- a great, upbeat tune.

Agreed. I adore "To Know" and "So Long" both. And "Sunshine After The Rain" is a real cooker.

I will say, however, that I've never figured out the meaning behind "Meni Devol". It remains a mystery to this day.

Maybe Paula can chime in here - as I recall it was one of her favorites.

Getting the thread back on track, I finally obtained the MAXIMUM GROOVES COAST TO COAST album the has a track with Herb on it. I found it in a local Borders yesterday. Neat track.

Harry
NP: "To Know", Lani Hall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom