Herb Remembers Leon Russell

Shane

For those who haven't seen it, Herb wrote a really nice facebook post of his memories of Leon Russell:

Herb Alpert remembers Leon Russell

"Leon was on several sessions that I produced with the Tijuana Brass. He was always dressed in a suit and tie, with short hair and no beard! This was soon after he arrived in Los Angeles from Oklahoma. We would go through the same routine each time I started rehearsing the music. He would sit at the piano and he would always say, “I don’t know what to play.” And I would say, “Just wait and see if you feel something, and if you don’t it’s okay. I just like your energy at the sessions.” Well, he would always chime in with something special and affect the groove in a very Leon Russell way that was always unique.

Leon was a wonderful musician and had a major effect on all of my recordings. His touch can be heard on many Tijuana Brass records, including Whipped Cream and A Taste of Honey. To top it off, Leon was a true gentleman with a special talent and he was a person that I had a great feeling for.

A few years ago I was driving down Pacific Coast Highway and saw a big, black tour bus that was parked in front of a venue announcing that Leon was performing there that night. I pulled over and knocked on the bus door. Leon opened the door with a smile when he saw me welcomed me in then went back to lying down in the back as we talked for awhile about our great memories. We were both happy to see one another. It was clear to me that his health was a challenge but there he was, in his bus, on the road, doing one nighters. That was the last time I saw Leon. I’m glad I stopped. I’m glad he was in my life."

I never knew about Herb's association with Leon until the BBC interview in which he talked about him. To me he was always the long-haired hippie-type who sang "Tightrope" and had a band, "The Shelter People." It was quite the eye opener to learn he'd started out as a session musician.

By the way, if you look at the thread on Facebook you'll see comments by Carol Kaye (bass and guitar session musician who also played on Herb's albums) and others.

Back
Top Bottom