Herb / TJB "I Belong"--Strings & ARP Synth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Found a Double-Sided Stereo/Mono White-Label Promo '45' of Herb Alpert & TjB's "I Belong" and saw that there was a credit for an ARP Synth by Clarence Mc Donald and String Arrangements by Jimmie Haskell...! Were any other tracks on Coney Island done with this "outside help"? What about the Non-LP tracks, "Whistle Song (Whistlestar)" and "El Bimbo"...? Don't see anything in A&M Corner's Herb Alpert & TjB Discography... :help:

Dave

Interesting that Herb would use both acoustic strings and and the ARP synth, because the latter was pretty much waging a winning battle against acoustic strings in the '70s and '80s to cut costs for hiring orchestra sidemen. The ARP did provide some realistic imitations, though.

Actually saw a copy of the Non-LP '45' "El Bimbo", B/W "Catfish", both 'Produced & Arranged By Herb Alpert', so I would suspect that the other non-LP '45', "Whistle Song (Whistlestar)" was, too...

I would certainly like to see 'Additional Musician/Arranger Credits' for "I Belong" and 'other certain songs' on Coney Island at A&M CORNER'S HERB ALPERT/TjB DISCOGRAPHY... The info there right now is a bit incomplete... :sad:

Dave :help:

Well, I finally found a copy of Herb's Coney Island, believe it or not! :shock:

It was in the Jazz, (along with a few other titles, including a worn-out Public Library copy of Just You And Me) as opposed to Pop Instrumental, where I would find the majority of his albums...

Anyway, the Album Credits for "I Belong" list the 'String Arrangements by Jimmie Haskell', which I saw on the '45' and even a 'Vocal by Herb', which I DIDN'T see on the '45'...

Also, I thought the Strings to be Barely Audible--though I'm sure they're there, "mixed-in" somewhere... The ARP Synth is, sadly, even more of a Footnote, as it is not only even Less-Audible, but there is No Album Credit for it! :wtf:

I found Coney Island to be a fairly good listen--somewhat too Big Band and Melody-and-Musicianship sounding (and to me, sounding a lot like stuff reminiscent of Beat Of The Brass) but it was well-worth the $4 I paid and a Great Companion to the other two LP's Herb released during this period... (which I think ran about $8, each)

Easy to see why little-to-nothing from Warm and Summertime, onward never got put on any Comp's; there is too much there that's too good...!! :)

Dave

The FAQ does mention that session musicians probably played on ALL of the TJB albums, but they are uncredited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom