Herb / TJB Photos of Note

JOv2

Here are three fascinating photos I found on the internet (including one sent to me from a collector friend) that I wanted to share...

1) This rehearsal photo was noted "Jim McCrary 1967". I like how Nic has his own chart...note the pencil on his ear -- he's marking up the chart. (Of course in those days charts prepared for trap drummers were part of the arrangement process. In fact, percussion charts -- trap drums in particular -- are quite interesting: manuscript lines and space are assigned to specific elements of the kit (e.g., snare, hi-hat, ride cymbal, etc.).)

2) This one was from a site that featured model Cheryl Tiegs. The date was 1967. Herb looks stellar and so does his Benge. (I like how Herb brought one of his Benges to the photo shoot, which adds authenticity to the shoot. I wonder how many Benges he actually had? I'd wager no less than four. His favourite horn, his #1 back up; then two in case of malfunctions. All would be the same model, which for Herb at that time was a Chicago Benge 3X. I would have opted for a shot of Herb from this photoshoot for the ...Sounds Like... cover.)

3) My favourite. Imagine receiving a couple crates of A&M LPs personally delivered by Herb. Well, if you called (213) 656-5330 to place your order prior to summer 1965 and your shop was in the Westside...who knows? Seriously, I'm going to estimate this one was from 1968-69 (but that lock-in-the-door-handle doesn't seem common to Ford, Chevy, or Dodge vans of the late '60s).

Enjoy!
Herb-Jim-Mc-Crary-1967.png
Herb-Tiegs-1967.jpg

Herb-Alpert-A-M-Van.png

Here are three fascinating photos I found on the internet (including one sent to me from a collector friend) that I wanted to share...

1) This rehearsal photo was noted "Jim McCrary 1967". I like how Nic has his own chart...note the pencil on his ear -- he's marking up the chart. (Of course in those days charts prepared for trap drummers were part of the arrangement process. In fact, percussion charts -- trap drums in particular -- are quite interesting: manuscript lines and space are assigned to specific elements of the kit (e.g., snare, hi-hat, ride cymbal, etc.).)

2) This one was from a site that featured model Cheryl Tiegs. The date was 1967. Herb looks stellar and so does his Benge. (I like how Herb brought one of his Benges to the photo shoot, which adds authenticity to the shoot. I wonder how many Benges he actually had? I'd wager no less than four. His favourite horn, his #1 back up; then two in case of malfunctions. All would be the same model, which for Herb at that time was a Chicago Benge 3X. I would have opted for a shot of Herb from this photoshoot for the ...Sounds Like... cover.)

3) My favourite. Imagine receiving a couple crates of A&M LPs personally delivered by Herb. Well, if you called (213) 656-5330 to place your order prior to summer 1965 and your shop was in the Westside...who knows? Seriously, I'm going to estimate this one was from 1968-69 (but that lock-in-the-door-handle doesn't seem common to Ford, Chevy, or Dodge vans of the late '60s).

Enjoy!
Herb-Jim-Mc-Crary-1967.png
Herb-Tiegs-1967.jpg

Herb-Alpert-A-M-Van.png
I did some checking with Google Images and found that the van Herb is sitting behind the wheel of is a Chevy van. The model was built between 1964 and 1969...the window and door shapes give it away. As for the door handle, things get a little complicated...I've seen images of each model year with the lock in the push button, and from 1965 on, it seems that the lock could either be in the button or below it, although most images of 66-69 vans had the lock button below the handle. So, the van could be from any year from 1964-69.

I know one thing for certain, I'd love to get my hands on it.

Back
Top Bottom