Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
Musician Herb Alpert to receive first UCLA Arts Award
City News Service
Posted: 06/13/2012 11:46:13 AM PDT
Updated: 06/13/2012 11:47:04 AM PDT

LOS ANGELES -- Music-industry legend and philanthropist Herb Alpert on Saturday will receive the inaugural UCLA Arts Award, the highest honor bestowed by the UCLA School of Arts and Architecture, in recognition of his accomplishments and his contributions to the arts and music at the university.
Alpert's trumpet playing and song-writing -- primarily with the group Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass -- have earned him five number-one hits, eight Grammy awards, 15 gold albums and 14 platinum albums. Alpert, who has sold more than 72 million records, is known for songs such as "The Lonely Bull," "A Taste of Honey" and "This Guy's in Love With You."
Alpert, who co-founded A&M Records in 1962, has worked with artists like Janet Jackson, Cat Stevens, Supertramp and The Police. In 2006, Alpert was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
Alpert, 77, is also recognized as a visual artist whose paintings and sculptures have been shown in museums and galleries around the world, according to UCLA.
Alpert and his wife, Grammy Award-winning Lani Hall, have received several awards for their philanthropic work through The Herb Alpert Foundation, which helps fund arts and arts education.
He and his wife also oversee Vibrato Grill, a restaurant and jazz club in Bel Air.
According to the university, the UCLA Arts Award was created to recognize people who have made significant contributions in the field of the arts and actively support the arts at UCLA. The award, an original acrylic sculpture by UCLA Professor Vasa Mihich, will be given to Alpert during the school's commencement ceremony.
http://www.contracostatimes.com/cal...ian-herb-alpert-receive-first-ucla-arts-award

I just posted this to my Facebook Timeline page. I think this award to Herb is wonderful & so well deserved, Steve! Thanks for posting this!!!

Every fall I take my Norwegian music students to Los Angeles. We naturally visit UCLA, get to sit in at some of the classes, and as thay are all aware of myself being a big Herb Alpert fan, they all smile when we walk into the "Herb Alpert School Of Music".

- greetings from the north -
Martin

Herb deserves this award just for the contributions he has made for music education. Many popular musicians earn lots of money & never give anything back. Herb & Lani have done more than their share. They set an example of what true philanthropy is. I hope he wins many other awards for his contributions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom