Herbie Mann - R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Some sad news from the jazz world. Flutist Herbie Mann has died. From the AP:

SANTA FE, New Mexico (AP) -- Herbie Mann, the versatile jazz flutist who combined a variety of musical styles and deeply influenced genres such as world music and fusion, has died. He was 73.

Mann, who had battled prostate cancer since 1997, died late Tuesday, according to a friend, Sy Johnson. A funeral home in Santa Fe said it was making arrangements with Mann's family.

Mann had moved to Santa Fe in the late 1980s after spending most of his life in his native New York City.

Mann always performed different styles, then combined them. He did bebop and cool jazz, and toured Africa, Brazil and Japan listening for new music.

"I just think he was a wonderful Pied Piper of jazz, drawing our attention what's happening around the world and the country," said Johnson, a New York City composer who had known Mann for some 40 years. He called Mann "a guy who loved music of all kinds an and eager to explore it all."

Family of Mann, formed in 1973, played world music before it was called that. Mann's best-selling "Memphis Underground" was a founding recording of fusion.

If a genie offered Mann anything he wanted, he said in a 1995 Associated Press interview, he would choose a big band including three rhythm sections for straight-ahead jazz, Brazilian music and soul.

"I'd be able to play all that music; I wouldn't have to play any one thing all the time," he said. "And I would always like to try to evolve the music to another step. Once you reach the point where you play it perfectly in a genre, to me it gets boring. Then I want to try to evolve by combining things."

When he left Atlantic Records in 1979 he started producing his own records, and later he launched his own label, Kokopelli. In all, he made more than 100 albums as leader.

Touring, he said, was "a killer, the hours and food. I always thought if you made good records your records could do the traveling for you."

Album titles reflect Mann's versatility: "At the Village Gate" (1962); "African Suite" (1959); "Brasil, Bossa Nova & Blues" (1962); "Latin Mann" 1965; "Memphis Two Step" (1971); and "Eastern European Roots" (2000).

As much as I love music, I never really thought it was my life. I thought it was the vehicle I used to express my life.
-- Herbie Mann

"As much as I love music, I never really thought it was my life. I thought it was the vehicle I used to express my life," he said.

A life of rhythms
Born Herbert Solomon in Brooklyn in 1930, he started his career when he was 15, playing in groups at Catskill Mountain resorts for the summer. He studied saxophone but preferred flute. In the 1950s, after three years in the Army playing with the Army Band in Trieste, Italy, Mann toured France and Scandinavia.

He credited visits to Africa and Brazil in the early 1960s with changing his musical outlook.

"When I came back (from Africa), I hired (Babatunde) Olatunji, a Nigerian drummer living here, and we started doing music based on African motifs," he told the AP.

As for the Brazil tour, he said, "Revelation doesn't touch it. Up to that point, the ethnic music I had heard had 14 drums playing different parts but the melodies were very simple. Then I saw the 'Black Orpheus' movie and heard multiple rhythm parts along with the most beautiful melodies in the world.

He returned and recorded with Brazilian musicians, including Antonio Carlos Jobim and a 19-year-old Sergio Mendes.

At 70, he put out a CD called "Eastern European Roots."

"I've played Cuban music, but I'm not Cuban," he told the Rocky Mountain News. "I've played Brazilian music, but I'm not Brazilian. I've played jazz, but I'm not African-American. What I am is an Eastern European Jew. I love all the music I've played, but I wanted something that is mine. ... I had been writing this music for years, but I never thought there was a place for me to play it."

"I'm playing better than I've ever played," Mann said in the 1995 Associated Press interview.

"As far as I'm concerned, almost everything I've done in the past has been on the surface or just a hair below," he said. "Now I'm getting serious."

His last live gig was May 3 at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, where "he got a standing ovation for five minutes," Johnson said.

"He had a lot of plans," Johnson said. "His time may have been limited and he knew it, but he was a man of energy and an active life that would constantly churn up things," Johnson said.

Capt. Bacardi

I say that, in Mann's memory, we make his CTI album "The Glory of Love" or Soul Flutes' "Trust in Me" an honorary AOTW.

Awwww! That is such sad news! :cry:

And I never got to see him perform! Dave at least got an autograph from him back in '95. But didn't have a ticket to that show, so he never got to see him perform, either. :sad:

Think he was in Birmingham, MI back in 2000 or 2001.

Remember when "Hijack" (from Atlantic LP, Discotheque) came out, too.

Kat

Though not unexpected,a great loss. Herbie Mann will never be confused for true innovators like Armstrong,Ellington,Parker,Mingus,Monk or Gillespie,but he will be remembered as a door opener for many jazz fans,not an easy task. I've read only three web sources so far and each leaves out important info about his life:one misses the "Newport" albums("Comin' Home Baby"),one misses the "Memphis Underground" era(thouhg many listen to this stuff because of Duane Allman) and one misses the world music connections(not just Brazil,but Afro-Cuban and Middle Eastern music were other colors on the palette). If you have a Herbie Mann album in your collection,just take a look at he personnel listed-there is probably at least one name there who went on to a solo career and had Herbie to thank for the step up. Chick Corea,not only as composer and player,has become an industry(and label)all by himself due to time spent in Herbie's band and observing the "Family of Mann". I got to see Herbie in 1967-68 during the IMPRESSIONS OF THE MIDDLE EAST tour,but I was already enjoyed his "Newport" material which got regular play in Philly,a popular place for Mann. Joel Dorn,then at WHAT-FM,championed Mann on the radio and that was one reason why Joel wanted to work at Atlantic Records as producer. Through Herbie's music,other forms of world music and fusion(I'll leave the disco stuff for others)became welcomed in my head. In another thread I mourned the loss of Wes Mongomery just as I was getting into jazz-Herbie was another early hero and,thankfully,he was around long enough to see his influences come to fruition. It's cleaning day here in the apartment-time to crank some "Memphis Undergound"while dusting the place. What a great groove...! Mac

Fortunately, I got to see a Herbie Mann and "Jasil Brazz" concert in April 1993. Terrific show, and he was generous with his time afterwards, chatting in the theater lobby with the audience for a long time.
Not only did I get my copies of LP 2003 and SP 3003 signed, but I also learned first hand about his stint as the "Fluteman" on SP 3009. I'm sorry that was the first and last time I'd ever hear him perform.
JB

I had the pleasure of seeing Herbie many times, starting at about his Memphis Underground days. He was also a great showman.

I picked up a record recently of his called "Afro to Bossa to Blues" with Oliver Nelson's Ork. I think it's one of his best.

Those "Comin Home Baby" Newport sessions were, indeed, terrific. That long encore where Herbie invites Ben Tucker to come up and play is, just what I remember about Mann "live". I can just see him up there gyrating while soloing acapella. His audiences really got into it.

"Memphis Underground" was great and "London Underground" wasn't bad either.

But please, for those who may go out looking for his music for the first time now, stay away from the disco, and listen to just about anything else he did first. I think you'll appreciate it more.

P.S. He also got much radio airplay in the sixties with an unlikely ballad..."To Sir With Love". Anybody remember?

It was so sad to hear about the passing of this wonderful man. His influence in the modern jazz genre cannot be denied. I have a CD-R of his Wailing Dervishes album on my computer and was just listening to the tunes yesterday before I heard the news.

Y'hei shlamah rabbah meen sh'mahyah,v'chahyeem
aleynu v'al kohl yisrael, v'eemru: Amein

DJ

bob knack said:
But please, for those who may go out looking for his music for the first time now, stay away from the disco, and listen to just about anything else he did first. I think you'll appreciate it more.

I remember when he did these albums (like SuperMann) in the 70's, and when he toured he would have a sign at the doors of whatever facility he was playing at saying that those songs would NOT be performed at his shows. His record company forced him to do those albums, but he refused to promote them or play from them. A sign of the times. I guess. :confused:

Memphis Underground was the first Herbie Mann album I heard during my Air Force days, and it had such a laid-back groove. The flute worked well with that rhythm section. I knew both rock and jazz fans that got into that album. I later got into his Newport album. It was only last year that I finally found Glory Of Love and the Soul Flutes LPs.

One embarassing note: When I was young I used to confuse Herbie with Mitch Miller for whatever silly reason. :oops:

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
bob knack said:

I remember when he did these albums (like SuperMann) in the 70's, and when he toured he would have a sign at the doors of whatever facility he was playing at saying that those songs would NOT be performed at his shows. His record company forced him to do those albums, but he refused to promote them or play from them. A sign of the times. I guess. :confused:

Memphis Underground was the first Herbie Mann album I heard during my Air Force days, and it had such a laid-back groove. The flute worked well with that rhythm section. I knew both rock and jazz fans that got into that album. I later got into his Newport album. It was only last year that I finally found Glory Of Love and the Soul Flutes LPs.

One embarassing note: When I was young I used to confuse Herbie with Mitch Miller for whatever silly reason. :oops:

Capt. Bacardi

It's not like they were separated at birth or something...

Dan

Captain Bacardi said:

Well, my first Herbie Mann album was Super Mann...the title track was actually a hit on our local disco station. As a disco song it wasn't bad, but by Herbie Mann standards, it was your basic, total, complete sell-out to the fad of the day, and I don't blame him for not playing it. A couple of the album tracks weren't all that bad, but had your "thump thump thump" disco beat bangin' away in the background. I was actually a little surprised to find out it was the same "jazz" Herbie Mann I knew from seeing him listed in various places (and on A&M innersleeves :wink: ).

I guess my bottom line on this album is that it's NOT a good Herbie Mann (as we know him) album, but in the disco genre, it was actually a decent showing...especially compared to some of the other dreck out there. Just the thought of record company pressure is a little disconcerting. Unfortunate that he had to make something against his wishes to pay Atlantic's bills.

I have yet to get into his Brazilian recordings...however, they're on my steadily growing want list.

R.I.P....flautist extraordinare. :sad:

Y'hei shlamah rabbah meen sh'mahyah,v'chahyeem
aleynu v'al kohl yisrael, v'eemru: Amein

DJ[/quote]

Please translate for those of us who don't speak Hebrew...

Dan

Herbie was not one to stay away from a passing fad or two. As irritating as those disco albums were,he tried R&B covers("Philly Dog") and introduced Tamiko Jones years before the A&M/CTI album(and,in doing so,tried to get some back door airplay by using an unknown vocalist a la Quincy Jones and Sergio's return to A&M albums). I wonder if he ever contiplated a Tijuana Brass rip-off like Chet Baker? Mac

Hi, Dan,

May there be abundant peace from Heaven, and life upon us and upon all Israel. Now respond: Amen

It is a portion taken from the Mourner's Kaddish....and the words have so much meaning, both on a personal level and in a greater sense.

Herbie Mann shared his wonderful gift with us for so many years. I have been a fan since high school (ancient history!!!), and perhaps this is my small way to say thank you and pay respects.

DJ

Captain Bacardi said:

That could be understandable . . . given Mr. Mann's one album for Columbia (Latin Mann: Afro To Bossa To Blues), where Mr. Miller was A&R head from 1950 until the early '60's. Moreover, Mr. Miller and his Sing-Along Gang, in 1970, put out an album called Peace Sing-Along with Mitch (I think that was the title) on Atlantic -- where most of Mr. Mann's recorded output was released.

(However, Mr. Mann did put out at least two albums for Columbia's Epic subsidiary in the latter half of the '50's.)

a few comments on some of the above:

1) Mitch and Herbie looked very much alike now that you mention it. I'm glad they never showed up in the same room with Monty Whooly(sp.) and Commander Whitehead. (You whipper-snappers don't remember them)

2) Herbie did a dual flute thing when he travelled and recorded with David "Fathead" Newman (LP: Mississippi Gambler) . A TJB Rip off?

3) I really didn't like Herbies Disco. But what I was saying was, try some of his other better things first. You might get the wrong impression if you just listen to Super Mann.

4) I love hearing Hebrew, I wish I could speak it. It may not be the language of love, but it certainly is the language of life. A question though, how is it different from Yiddish. Or is it the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom