Herb's Christmas albums (both of them) are ahead of their time!

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
There was an article in Billboard about how "religious" Christmas songs are at their lowest level of popularity this year, with songs about Santa, winter, gifts, and so on being more popular. So that means Herb's two Christmas albums, which lean heavily on those non-religious songs, are right up there with the current trends!

His newest Christmas album, out of 18 included songs, only has 3 that touch on the religious lyrical themes; his 1968 Christmas album with the TJB only has 1 song out of 10 with a religious theme.

Of course Herb's albums being mostly instrumental (in fact, all of the religious selections are), makes it a moot point, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

Four of my favorite Christmas albums come from three Jewish artists---Phil Spector, Barbra Streisand and Herb Alpert.

Our local morning talk guru, Mark Davis, (KSKY, AM660 The Answer) pointed out that the three best-selling Christmas albums are from Jewish recording artists: Barbra Streisand, Kenny G and Neil Diamond.

--Mr Bill

I remember hearing My Favorite Things when it was released and I really liked it. I did not get the album until about 1973 or 74 and got is for less than $3.00 new. The selections were very good and my mom really liked his version of Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring. My copy disappeared in the late 70's or 80's but I did find a good condition lp at a thrift store. I wish that there could have been a lot more selections on this album.

It took three listens for Christmas Wish to grow on me. I prefer the version of "Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring" on that album, as opposed to the TJB version.

Back
Top Bottom