Herb's "Pata Pata" drops on YouTube

I just listened to this after stumbling into the record listing for pre release and then saw an article in American Songwriter. I’m a big fan of South African jazz so seeing a cover of Pata Pata was inviting enough to check out. Fun recording, stunning in some senses, and yes, a bit of an A Banda shade to it. He oughta look into a Caiphus Semenya cover to do - several good options. Letta Mbulu, too, as he produced an album of hers. Some good options from Gwangwa and from Masekela, too.

I will admit I am surprised to see a forthcoming new record release. Really thought the last one, which is pretty good, would be his last. But nicely, and I am sure purposefully, timed for Grammy consideration.

I just listened to this after stumbling into the record listing for pre release and then saw an article in American Songwriter. I’m a big fan of South African jazz so seeing a cover of Pata Pata was inviting enough to check out. Fun recording, stunning in some senses, and yes, a bit of an A Banda shade to it. He oughta look into a Caiphus Semenya cover to do - several good options. Letta Mbulu, too, as he produced an album of hers. Some good options from Gwangwa and from Masekela, too.

I will admit I am surprised to see a forthcoming new record release. Really thought the last one, which is pretty good, would be his last. But nicely, and I am sure purposefully, timed for Grammy consideration.
I don’t think Herb is in the least bit inclined toward stopping. His comments at the live show I saw 2 and a half years ago were that as long as he can, and as long as it makes him and us happy, he’ll continue.

Yeah …. For a performer like him, making music is “what he does” so there’s no point in stopping. Sometimes I wish I was retired but I like what I do way more often, so why not keep doing it?

Herb sounds great. This song fits the Herb Alpert style of music perfectly. Below is a link to the splendid original version of the song by Miriam Makeba from 1967. In the 1980s I purchased the Makeba 45 at the Tower Records classic oldies singles wrack. Wow--the late great Tower Records. What a joy it was to wander its many aisles and discover by surprise a record that perfectly fit your musical taste--and then to take it home on the spot. The internet record buying experience can never replicate that on the spot Tower experience. Plus, there is the endless wait to receive the merchandise via an internet order.

Herb sounds great. This song fits the Herb Alpert style of music perfectly. Below is a link to the splendid original version of the song by Miriam Makeba from 1967. In the 1980s I purchased the Makeba 45 at the Tower Records classic oldies singles wrack. Wow--the late great Tower Records. What a joy it was to wander its many aisles and discover by surprise a record that perfectly fit your musical taste--and then to take it home on the spot. The internet record buying experience can never replicate that on the spot Tower experience. Plus, there is the endless wait to receive the merchandise via an internet order.

Very lively I feel the joy and excitement in her voice first time I ever heard this original version and I love it

Back
Top Bottom