Here comes the flood

Really nice to see the book and it's authors getting some well-deserved publicity - let's just hope it is the start of a "flood" - one line in the article especially stood out for me: "And he knew a song was useless if it didn’t match his sister’s stunning alto voice." It's always great to see someone other than us highly biased and impassioned devotees here describe Karen's voice this way - stunning is a near perfect adjective because it has always appeared to have that effect on new listeners especially, stopping them in their tracks while capturing their fullest attention - fifty+ years later she still does that to me! - I wonder if he has a list of such "useless" songs (that he otherwise liked)?

I wonder if he has a list of such "useless" songs (that he otherwise liked)?
I might venture a guess that one of those might be "Just An Old-Fashioned Love Song". The song was written with Carpenters in mind and offered to them by Paul Williams, but they turned him down and Three Dog Night did it. I don't know if it was a range problem, or if Richard or Karen just didn't like the song.

I might venture a guess that one of those might be "Just An Old-Fashioned Love Song". The song was written with Carpenters in mind and offered to them by Paul Williams, but they turned him down and Three Dog Night did it. I don't know if it was a range problem, or if Richard or Karen just didn't like the song.
Yes, that's one that I was thinking of especially since I remember reading about that rejection - surprising because it is (was) a delightful song - I'm wondering what they could have done with the the lyrics about "coming down in three part harmony" - might have ended up as 12 part harminy...

I never cared for the song after TDN did it, and can't for the life of me figure out what Paul was thinking when he gave it to the Carpenters. Richard definitely didn't hear any potential for him and Karen with the tune—primarily with regard to the song's arrangement and chord progression.

I never cared for the song after TDN did it, and can't for the life of me figure out what Paul was thinking when he gave it to the Carpenters. Richard definitely didn't hear any potential for him and Karen with the tune—primarily with regard to the song's arrangement and chord progression.
Doesn't make it a bad song—I simply meant that I never understood why Paul heard "Carpenters" in his head when he wrote it, that's all.

Doesn't make it a bad song—I simply meant that I never understood why Paul heard "Carpenters" in his head when he wrote it, that's all.
This is my feeling as well. Sometimes you can listen to a song and "hear" Karen singing it. Other times not. This is one of those "not" songs. I remember being really surprised at the story of Paul writing it with Karen in mind.

This is my feeling as well. Sometimes you can listen to a song and "hear" Karen singing it. Other times not. This is one of those "not" songs. I remember being really surprised at the story of Paul writing it with Karen in mind.
I agree... 100%.

There was also a Roberta Flack song, either Killing Me Softly or The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, that Richard was offered and rejected, too. Just can't remember which one as I can hear Karen singing both, but more the former than the latter.

"Killing Me Softly" has a long and storied history involving Charles Fox, Norman Gimbel, Lori Lieberman, Roberta Flack, and Don McLean.

The original recording:

Gee, I thought Karen and Richard did quite beautifully with the medley including
An Old-Fashioned Love Song, as heard on Carol Burnett Show.
Richard could have created a fantastic arrangement had they chose to record the song, imho.

"Just An Old-Fashioned Fashioned Love Song" was certainly not the gem that "Rainy Days and Mondays" was by any means, but it was definitely good enough to be an album cut on any of their albums , more so than a number of tracks they actually did include , and more so even than several cuts they released as singles (not to mention any titles here and start a spat) - after all, they were lucky that the 5th Dimension turned down RD & M and they got a Crack at it - they should have smiled and recorded it if only to keep Paul happy and to motivate him to keep the songs coming - not a good strategy at all to refuse a song from him at that point in his career or theirs...

I seem to recall that Paul Williams stating that Richard had not even listened to the song--
An Old Fashioned Love Song---all the way through before deciding against recording it.

Here we are:
With "Old Fashioned Love Song," Three Dog Night is the band of the planet at the time ... How did the song get to them ?
PW: "You know, I wrote the song thinking it was perfect for The Carpenters. It was money in the bank with them, I thought.
A nice fit, kind of a throwback song with a rinky-dink sound to it and all. Richard Carpenter, I don't think made it through the first verse before he picked up the needle off of the (acetate). Richard didn't love it."
Source:

AOFLS (1971) - reached No.4 on Hot 100 & No.1 on AC...(as per Wiki). Couldn't have used it even as "filler" on the "Now and Then" album, for example...?

Last edited:
The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face could have been groundbreaking. Just the thought!
It may have been that one. I just can't remember! But Richard mentioned it on one of the Larry King live interviews he did (and I think he did two).

Richard mentioned Killing Me Softly, by Roberta Flack, in an interview with Wink Martindale.
I remember Richard mentioned unfortunately not being on the plane in which Roberta Flack first heard the song.

Richard mentioned Killing Me Softly, by Roberta Flack, in an interview with Wink Martindale.
I remember Richard mentioned unfortunately not being on the plane in which Roberta Flack first heard the song.
Excellent! Your memory is better than mine!

^^Thanks ! But, I don't know about my memory...I could not remember the exact song title either until
I read of Roberta Flack being on the airplane, then the interview with Richard came back to me !
I will try and locate that radio interview, though.

"Just An Old-Fashioned Fashioned Love Song" was certainly not the gem that "Rainy Days and Mondays" was by any means, but it was definitely good enough to be an album cut on any of their albums , more so than a number of tracks they actually did include , and more so even than several cuts they released as singles (not to mention any titles here and start a spat) - after all, they were lucky that the 5th Dimension turned down RD & M and they got a Crack at it - they should have smiled and recorded it if only to keep Paul happy and to motivate him to keep the songs coming - not a good strategy at all to refuse a song from him at that point in his career or theirs...
Well Paul did get to perform it with the Muppets:

Back
Top Bottom