Here comes the flood

^^Thanks ! But, I don't know about my memory...I could not remember the exact song title either until
I read of Roberta Flack being on the airplane, then the interview with Richard came back to me !
I will try and locate that radio interview, though.
And I remember Richard mentioning it as one of the "songs that got away," and separately remembering Roberta Flack talking about hearing it first on a plane. I don't remember Richard mentioning the plane, though, or perhaps I would have put 2 and 2 together. My memory of that (or those?) interview was Richard being asked about songs he passed on (like the Roberta Flack song) and then a question about which songs of theirs he thought were going to be sure-fire hits, but weren't. I remember Richard answering that he thought "All You Get From Love is a Love Song" was going to be a hit, but wasn't.

I've been reading some of these articles, and it's nice and interesting to see this renewed interest in Carpenters. I have to go back and look, but one of the writers refers to the Tan album as their second release. I cannot remember the writer.

Anyway, I am excited to get my copy and and add to the collection.

I bought mine during the chat with Mike, Chris and Richard. Any idea when those are shipping gentlemen?

"... that effect on new listeners especially, stopping them in their tracks while capturing their fullest attention ..."

A post by JohnFB reminded me of a moment that I experienced years ago at Christmastime 1975.

We had family over one evening and I decided to take a break from the gathering. I went to the room where my father had his stereo set up and I decided to put on the Horizon album and listen to it for a few minutes.

As I was setting up the album to play side 2, in walked my paternal grandmother, who also wanted to take a break from the crowd. We listened to "Solitaire" and at the end of it, she turned to me and said: "The person singing that song is a VERY good singer".

Now keep in mind, my grandmother was not a follower of popular music. She had no idea who the Carpenters were. We could have had a conversation when she walked into the room. But, no. She was struck by the recording and wanted to listen to it. And as JohnFB has noted in his post, this was a case of a new listener "being stopped in her tracks" by the beauty of the recording.

I thought I would share that moment with you. I've never forgotten it.

I've been reading some of these articles, and it's nice and interesting to see this renewed interest in Carpenters. I have to go back and look, but one of the writers refers to the Tan album as their second release. I cannot remember the writer.

Anyway, I am excited to get my copy and and add to the collection.

I bought mine during the chat with Mike, Chris and Richard. Any idea when those are shipping gentlemen?
Not too sure, but likely on or shortly before the 16th. Will pass along any info we receive on this.

Thanks!

The fact that a writer pegged the Tan album as their second is a forgivable mistake. Getting Carpenters in the news in 2021 is the big hurdle.

My pal Andrew is kicking himself over forgetting “Offering,” and has fixed the mistake. That’s how we roll at the AP. 😁
I was wondering if it was a British writer, as “Offering/Ticket To Ride” wasn’t released in the UK until the pink Ticket (Richard, on the 1971 BBC concert even refers to the self-title as their second). So in the UK the self-title was the second album released.

I was wondering if it was a British writer, as “Offering/Ticket To Ride” wasn’t released in the UK until the pink Ticket (Richard, on the 1971 BBC concert even refers to the self-title as their second). So in the UK the self-title was the second album released.
No. An all-American guy. Just forgot. A lot of folks think it all started with “CTY.” We know better, of course. 😁

And I remember Richard mentioning it as one of the "songs that got away," and separately remembering Roberta Flack talking about hearing it first on a plane. I don't remember Richard mentioning the plane, though, or perhaps I would have put 2 and 2 together. My memory of that (or those?) interview was Richard being asked about songs he passed on (like the Roberta Flack song) and then a question about which songs of theirs he thought were going to be sure-fire hits, but weren't. I remember Richard answering that he thought "All You Get From Love is a Love Song" was going to be a hit, but wasn't.
In this area, All You Get From Love Is A Love Song got tremendous airplay on a number of stations so it is a wonder that it was not more successful. It got the airplay here after "Calling Occupants" so I wonder if that song turned a number of buyers off as it was such a strange selection for release as a single.

In this area, All You Get From Love Is A Love Song got tremendous airplay on a number of stations so it is a wonder that it was not more successful. It got the airplay here after "Calling Occupants" so I wonder if that song turned a number of buyers off as it was such a strange selection for release as a single.
A great record! And one of Richard's favorites as well.

... And as JohnFB has noted in his post, this was a case of a new listener "being stopped in her tracks" by the beauty of the recording.

I thought I would share that moment with you. I've never forgotten it.
Thanks for sharing that heartfelt (and probably very typical) story - I can vouch for the authenticity of the surprised and delighted reaction because it's very similar to my own when I first heard Karen sing - I was driving to work in heavy traffic and "We've Only Just Begun" came on the radio and I was so distracted by the resonant beauty of that voice that I almost failed to stop at a red light in a busy intersection - for a split second it seemed far more important to turn up the volume that hit the brakes...

Back
Top Bottom