Here She Comes

DAN BOLTON

Absolutely blown away by Herb's latest download, but I'm almost positive I've heard it before. Something, either the chorus or the cord progression is very familiar. Am I dreaming?

Most catchy thing I've heard from Herb in quite a while.

I've always felt there is another Tijuana Brass-type record in Herb trying to come out....this song proves it. I like that he's giving the other instruments some solo time. Combine that with the dual-tracked trumpets and you almost have the TJB sound -- just add in a marimba and there it'd be!

Most catchy thing I've heard from Herb in quite a while.

I've always felt there is another Tijuana Brass-type record in Herb trying to come out....this song proves it. I like that he's giving the other instruments some solo time. Combine that with the dual-tracked trumpets and you almost have the TJB sound -- just add in a marimba and there it'd be!
What made the TJB special in my opinion was the sonic experience you got when listening to the album. It was the magic of hearing great musicians interact with one another. You’re never going to match that with programmed loops.

That awful drum machine..... Please Herb, use real instruments again!
Yes, I agree about the drum machine. I’ve called it programming in the past. (Not a musician, mind you). It’s unfortunately weakened some of his tunes in recent years.

On the other hand, if you live for him sounding like the TJB again, which I do not though I like that music as much as any other fan of his music, this is as close as he has gotten in recent years IMHO.

Just hope the rest of this forthcoming record is not heavy on the drum programming. Though I suspected it a bit from hearing Pata Pata, I was hoping it would not be prevalent.

That all said, that he does anything given advancing age, is truly a marvel. I read recently that David Crosby, who has made some excellent records in recent years with a younger group of musicians in addition to his son and musicians he’s been associated with for years, announced that he is no longer touring and he is a good 10 to 15 years younger than Mr Alpert.

For what it's worth, it is not a "drum machine". That was what some producers used in the 80's. These are "drum samples", programmed, yes, but it is still drums played by a drummer and then programmed. Almost all you hear in pop music today is done that way.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

For what it's worth, it is not a "drum machine". That was what some producers used in the 80's. These are "drum samples", programmed, yes, but it is still drums played by a drummer and then programmed. Almost all you hear in pop music today is done that way.

Martin
Thanks for the explanation for this non-musician.

That said, it just sounds terrible. Don’t care if pop music does it that way today…

A reflection of the world we live in today for sure. When young people have lived their whole life without the internet or an iPhone, they won’t know what they’re missing...

Martin

Sample or drum machine, doesn’t matter... It’s a loop, which means it doesn’t change. Which also means it gets very boring. 😴

I look forward to seeing the credits on this one. Very nice piece overall. The keyboard work was cool. Maybe Bill Cantos?

Hello~ I mean no disrespect but there is NO DRUM MACHINE playing drums on the new song, "Here She Comes". A live human being drummer played his set of drums on this track. You can tell right away from that first intro drum fill that no drum programming could ever sound like that drum fill. Also, real bass, real guitar and real marimba.

Last edited:
Hello~ I mean no disrespect but there is NO DRUM MACHINE playing drums on the new song, "Here She Comes". A live human being drummer played his set of drums on this track. You can tell right away from that first intro drum fill that no drum programming could ever sound like that drum fill. Also, real bass, real guitar and real marimba. I want to not the that live drums in 2022 generally do not sound like the live drums recorded in the 1960s and early 70s. The sound of today uses more compression and different microphone techniques. Also drums today are recorded so that each drum has its own track where back in the 1960s the entire music with dozens of instruments were recored on 3 or 4 tracks. Today drums alone could be recorded 6, 8 or even 10+ tracks. We are recording music in 2022 and are not making records the same way as 1966. Everyone be well!!

Hello~ I mean no disrespect but there is NO DRUM MACHINE playing drums on the new song, "Here She Comes". A live human being drummer played his set of drums on this track. You can tell right away from that first intro drum fill that no drum programming could ever sound like that drum fill. Also, real bass, real guitar and real marimba.
Is there a loop on top of the drums, or is that live percussion? That’s what I was referring to. If it isn’t a sample or a loop, it sure sounds like it. If it isnt, I stand corrected. Thanks Randy.

Hello~ I mean no disrespect but there is NO DRUM MACHINE playing drums on the new song, "Here She Comes". A live human being drummer played his set of drums on this track. You can tell right away from that first intro drum fill that no drum programming could ever sound like that drum fill. Also, real bass, real guitar and real marimba. I want to not the that live drums in 2022 generally do not sound like the live drums recorded in the 1960s and early 70s. The sound of today uses more compression and different microphone techniques. Also drums today are recorded so that each drum has its own track where back in the 1960s the entire music with dozens of instruments were recored on 3 or 4 tracks. Today drums alone could be recorded 6, 8 or even 10+ tracks. We are recording music in 2022 and are not making records the same way as 1966. Everyone be well!!
Not disrespectful at all. This is really helpful to the non musician, thank you. I’m not necessarily looking for a recording to sound like 1966, as I know, of course, that recording technique changes. The move from analog to digital is an e ample in my head (the Rise album being an early implementer, of course). I’m just wondering why it (defined as this track and recent releases) sounds “programmed” as if not a live human doing so.

Much appreciate the explanation.

This one is mediocre to me. I hope there are better arrangements on the album... minus the drum machine. Really missing Michael Shapiro on drums.

Great info as always I wanted to wait to comment until I knew the facts I for one enjoy this song very energetic and upbeat I think it's very much a Timeless Herb Alpert sound that always existed not just TJB but In every way all along

This one is mediocre to me. I hope there are better arrangements on the album... minus the drum machine. Really missing Michael Shapiro on drums.

😁

Back
Top Bottom