"Hey, Bob, You Got a Tambourine Laying Around? We Gotta Get Somethin' fer Archie ta Play."

JOv2

So what do you do if Pharoah Sanders, Gary Burton, or Archie Shepp drop by at your session without their ax? Well, you hand them a tambourine, which is what occurred on 06FEB68, xxMAR68, and 09SEP66, respectively, at sessions for Dave Burrell, Steve Marcus, and Chico Hamilton.

This all got me to thinking: when did the tambourine (which along with the electric guitar helped to characterized the "new" sound of popular music in the mid/late '60s) make its way into straight-ahead jazz as a viable routine instrument that distinguished a group's sound -- as opposed to an instrument used on a few select songs (e.g., "Latin percussion")? The earliest recording I could find was Eddie Harris / Mean Greens (MAR66).

DSC01955.jpg

Last edited:
The only tamborine I can think of in jazz was on a tune on a Dave Brubeck Quartet album (one of the "Time" albums, on a 5/4 tune...can't remember which, though). And maybe in an occasional big band setting where, as you've said, it was often used for Latin percussion.

I don't even know if it is a genuine Latin percussion instrument--most of what I've heard in various types of music (mambo, salsa, etc.) have all kinds of percussion but I don't really recall ever hearing it in most of them. I think the same can be said for the cowbell, certainly not as a primary percussion instrument like timbales, congas, clave, etc.

I had a gf in the early '90s that just didn't "get" jazz. I remember playing the Mean Greens CD and on the first selection -- once Ray Codington put down his trumpet he started up tambourine, she said "what's that?". It was the only time I ever recall her having any tangible interest in my jazz recordings...and to think it was the friggin' tambourine that caught her attention -- and she wasn't even listening. Crazy, man.

Back
Top Bottom