Hi res Carpenters music

Martin Medrano

Hello everyone i was wondering if any members here have hi res albums of the carpenters besides the rpo album and the singles 1969-1981 which are available in hi res format. Im looking for the rest of the albums for example horizon or the tan album. Where do you all get the tracks from.

Vinyl? Cd? I’m only aware of the SHM cd’s from Japan and the Singles MQA disc from Japan. The rest were cancelled I believe. Expensive! The vinyl box isn’t well pressed. The RPO vinyl was worse.

There are a couple of different versions, from Japan. It’s legit and on EBay often.
Be careful, some require a player that can actually track it. It won’t play on an ordinary unit. No sound will come out, or a loud unpleasant noise. Lol

Last edited:
i wonder is there a big difference between shm cd and regular cd.
Really I don’t get the big hoopla surrounding SHM. It’s suppose to be some new plastic to help the laser read the lands and pits more clearly, and cause fewer tracking errors, but really, when the laser is reading the lands and pits it’s just bouncing back 1’a and 0’s for the CD player to decode. Really I don’t see how this adds to an increase in CD resolution, unless the disc was mastered with HDCD. A higher resolution would need to be made during mastering, not playback. SHM reminds me of the Gold discs (like the MFSL “A Song For You”) that claimed to offer higher resolution audio over regular CD’s. Really the gold is better at warding off oxidization than the aluminum used in standard CD’s, so you won’t end up with disc rot.

But really, SHMCD’s audio is 16/44.

I currently don’t own a SACD. But early models of PS3 offered SACD playback plus there are Blu-Ray players that play them.

I still use a post-SACD PS3 for my CD playback, but I send it to my Yamaha amp via optical which handles the PCM decoding so both regular CD’s and HDCD’s like the Carpenters Remastered Classics and the Beach Boys 2-fer-1 discs have a higher dynamic range from the HDCD’s 24/44.

Most of the Sony 4K dvd/blu ray players can decode most anything. I recommend the Sony X800M2. Read the reviews. Amazing sound quality for the price.

The Sony will not play the 5.1 of Singles 1969-1981. Just the stereo mix. You need a player with that built in from the 90’s....
Like the Samsung Dvd-HD841. I think Harry has something too. It says Super Audio CD on the front of it.

That’s great. My Samsung actually has 6 RCA outputs for Front R-L Rear R-L, Center and subwoofer. The amplifier has to have the inputs for them too. Then set to a separate 6 Channel decoder with a push of a button. You get the total surround mix from the disc. It’s not like DTS audio which is so much easier. Anyway, both flopped, just like Quad.
They’re so much better sounding though.

The Sony will not play the 5.1 of Singles 1969-1981. Just the stereo mix. You need a player with that built in from the 90’s....
Like the Samsung Dvd-HD841. I think Harry has something too. It says Super Audio CD on the front of it.
I was looking at a few SACD sites and they were pointing out that Optical and Coax can not handle the DSD, plus there are security measures in place so that people cannot copy over them. However HDMI 1.2 and up can handle the SACD DSD. So with HDMI, you would need a receiver capable of deciding the DSD audio, as the player would just be passing the digital information over the HDMI rather than converting it to analog.

That would make perfect sense. My amp is older, 2004 and that was just coming around then. The only reason I keep it is for the rear center channel which they no longer do. It also is a power plant with 130w 6.1 surround, Plus 2@25w effects speakers. I’ll use it until it burns out, and then upgrade to a modern amp. Have to get Rudy’s suggestions, and then take out a 2nd mortgage to buy it. lol
10 speakers and 2subs. Makes a lot of beautiful music. Especially Carpenters.
Thank you Tom.

Really I don’t get the big hoopla surrounding SHM. It’s suppose to be some new plastic to help the laser read the lands and pits more clearly, and cause fewer tracking errors, but really, when the laser is reading the lands and pits it’s just bouncing back 1’a and 0’s for the CD player to decode. Really I don’t see how this adds to an increase in CD resolution, unless the disc was mastered with HDCD. A higher resolution would need to be made during mastering, not playback. SHM reminds me of the Gold discs (like the MFSL “A Song For You”) that claimed to offer higher resolution audio over regular CD’s. Really the gold is better at warding off oxidization than the aluminum used in standard CD’s, so you won’t end up with disc rot.

But really, SHMCD’s audio is 16/44.

Agreed. Pits are pits. It's the same MFSL Gold Disc money-grubbing thing from days gone by.

Ed

Hello everyone i was wondering if any members here have hi res albums of the carpenters besides the rpo album and the singles 1969-1981 which are available in hi res format. Im looking for the rest of the albums for example horizon or the tan album. Where do you all get the tracks from.

There are also hi-res albums available on HDtracks.com. Media as we know it is moving to files, of course. Gotta be careful though. I've downloaded some hi-res content that's rife with compression or just isn't as hi-res as we're led to believe it is.

Ed

That would make perfect sense. My amp is older, 2004 and that was just coming around then. The only reason I keep it is for the rear center channel which they no longer do. It also is a power plant with 130w 6.1 surround, Plus 2@25w effects speakers. I’ll use it until it burns out, and then upgrade to a modern amp. Have to get Rudy’s suggestions, and then take out a 2nd mortgage to buy it. lol
10 speakers and 2subs. Makes a lot of beautiful music. Especially Carpenters.
Thank you Tom.
Yeah my amp is a Yamaha HTR-5630. I’ve had it since 2004 as well. 24/96 DAC. Plus it can do analog 5.1 surround via 6 RCA jacks which I’ve never used—-all my DVD players and Blu-Ray players have had optical and I only once remember seeing a DVD player in a store that had the analog surround outputs. It’s also able to Matrix 6.1 (every time I watch the 2003 “Die Another Day” DVD, the system automatically switches into the 6.1 mode, to create a rear center, but I can also manually turn on the 6.1) but it’s only a 5.1 system. (It can also act as a composite video router, and switch between 4 composite devices, so someone could’ve hooked up Laserdisc player, VHS VCR, Super Nintendo and Nintendo GameCube and switch between them back in the day, and only taken up 1 composite slot on your TV, as well as getting up to 2.0 surround audio every time you played one

But, yeah HDMI was only launched On the market in 2004, so very few devices had it. I know that with D-VHS, at that time Firewire was also being considered as a connector for HDTV (HDMI only appeared on 1 D-VHS model in 2005, along with Firewire). Firewire was able to carry DTS (1.509 Mbps), so imagine if the released music videos on that format!

Mine is the Yamaha Natural Sound RX—V3300. I bought it at Good Guys in December 2004. Similar features. A ton of speaker and inputs for audio accessories. Mega remote. They make very good audio equipment for sure. 16 years, and still sounds awesome. I added a Yamaha natural sound CD player about 7 years ago to match it.

Mine is the Yamaha Natural Sound RX—V3300. I bought it at Good Guys in December 2004. Similar features. A ton of speaker and inputs for audio accessories. Mega remote. They make very good audio equipment for sure. 16 years, and still sounds awesome. I added a Yamaha natural sound CD player about 7 years ago to match it.
The only thing I wish mine had were a few more optical and coax inputs. That’s one of the reasons that I went with a PS3, rather than individual component, since besides games, I could play CD’s, DVD’s and Blu-Rays and have the audio sent out digitally over optical. I also like how the system is able to decode DTS. Before Blu-Rays, I would play DVD’s encoded in DTS in DTS as I found the higher bitrate of DTS gave a more intense sound vs Dolby Digital. So whenever I play the “Brian Wilson Presents Pet Sounds” concert DVD, I always play it in DTS 5.1 (unless I’m playing it on a TV that doesn’t have a surround system and it’s coming from the TV speakers, then it the Stereo option).

But, yeah recently when I’ve listened to either RPO CD with The Carpenters or the Beach Boys through it, I always have it in the Dolby Pro Logic II Music Mode where it matrixes a 5.1 surround sound, and those CD’s really sound like the were mixed with Dolby 2.0 Surround and the matrix does a really good job of separating the different instruments and creating that concert Hall effect.

Back
Top Bottom