🎄 Holidays! Hogood Hardy sounds like BMB

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
Anyone ever heard of "Hogood Hardy?" I tried searching in our music catalog to no avail. He/she/it is playing right now on XM 104 and sounds like the Baja Marimba Band crossed with a reggae band. "Feliz Navidad." Has the marimba/flute combination and everything. I thought it was the BMB until I looked at the radio display.

(I remember an act called "Hagood Hardy" in the 70s but I'm pretty sure that was a male country singer...or I could be wrong!)

Mike Blakesley said:
Anyone ever heard of "Hogood Hardy?" (I remember an act called "Hagood Hardy" in the 70s but I'm pretty sure that was a male country singer...or I could be wrong!)

Hagood Hardy is a pianist/guitarist, and gets into a George Winston kind of thing. He had a minor hit with "The Homecoming" back in the 70's. Most of his stuff is this soft, mellow, laid-back "where's my Valium?" stuff.

Capt. Bacardi

I've had Hagood Hardy's album, featuring "The Homecoming"! Other songs on it are: Paul Williams'/Roger Nichols' "You And Me Against The World" an obscure David Gates song, "Clouds" (after the break-up of Bread) and a lesser-known Gordon Lightfoot song, "Cold On The Shoulder", as well as a couple Hardy-Originals: "Wintertime" (done with a chorus) and "Travelin' On", sung by Hagood...

I once heard a Muzak version of "Moonlight Feels Right" on the radio, played on a set of vibes (and possibly modeled after the fact that its original group, Starbuck worked vibes and a marimba into it's act--solo's and all, including on "Moonlight...") and even almost copied the original synthesizer solo on the song; Hagood Hardy, perhaps?!

Dave

...Right now in the mood for some Hogshead Cheese! :tongue: :hurl:

Are you talkin' about Peter Appleyard?? When I went to Music Choice on TV (Easy Listening), I saw the title "Moonlight Feels Right" by Peter Appleyard instead of the late Hagood Hardy. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

AM/FM Matt said:
...Are you talkin' about Peter Appleyard?? When I went to Music Choice on TV (Easy Listening), I saw the title "Moonlight Feels Right" by Peter Appleyard instead of the late-Hagood Hardy...

Is that who it's by? The radio station I heard the song on was 580-Memories, CKWW... And on its OLD format, which played Big Band, in addition to EZ Listening, before switching to a Carbon-Copy of 630-CFCO's Play-List! So you may be right, Matt... I mean it was a year-or-two ago, and one of those times where you hear a song and DON'T know who it is by; the DJ don't tell you! :mad: ...Similar to three-or-four-years ago, I heard a Perry Como-sung, "Put A Little Love Away", but I don't know if Perry ever did that song or not... Again, the DJ moves onto the next song, or doesn't tell you when he comes on! :rolleyes: :shake:

Thanks! :agree:

Dave

Yes, Matt, I think you're right! I've seen a few Peter Appleyard LP's and CD's on The Net (though few CD's and NONE of the LP's sport a track-list) and Appleyard IS a Canadian Vibes/Marimba player (not to be confused with an English Guitarist/Vocalist of the same name) so I think you are definitely right!

Thanks Again! :thumbsup:

Dave

The song "Put A Little Love Away" was also done by The Four Tops (from "Keeper Of The Castle") coming soon to Hip-O Select on the website which I read from ICE Magazine but there is no updates. It was also done by Rock Flowers, the late Dusty Springfield, & of course Sergio Mendes & Brazil '77. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Mike Blakesley said:
Anyone ever heard of "Hogood Hardy?" I tried searching in our music catalog to no avail. He/she/it is playing right now on XM 104 and sounds like the Baja Marimba Band crossed with a reggae band. "Feliz Navidad." Has the marimba/flute combination and everything. I thought it was the BMB until I looked at the radio display.

(I remember an act called "Hagood Hardy" in the 70s but I'm pretty sure that was a male country singer...or I could be wrong!)

"Hogood" could have been a typo at XM. Try e-mailing the channel to ask about it. I believe under FCC's rules, a radio station has to own (or have physical possession of) the recording it plays on the air.

For a second I thought you had heard it on "Special X-Mas", but 104 is the "Traditions" channel.

Now I'm kind'a wondering about a "Just The Way You Are" and an "Ain't No Way To Treat A Lady" that I also heard on the vibes... :o

If only Gary McFarland and Cal Tjader had lived! :D

Dave

Back when my mom listened to WGER (Beautiful 102 FM in Saginaw, Michigan) back around 1973-April 1986, that song "Moonlight Feels Right" by Peter Appleyard was playing on that station. By the middle of April of 1986, WGER moved to 106.3 instead of 102.5 because WIOG (Top 40 hits) took the big radio antenna. Back in July or August of 1989, WGER instead went from Easy Listening to Adult Contemporary. :twisted: They also had the late John Deremus (who replaced the late John Falsenta & can be heard in the Super Bowl XXI Highlights (New York Giants vs. Denver Broncos) from 1987 & longtime Chicago DJ. John died back around 1995. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Back
Top Bottom