Hollywood Bowl Battle of the Bands 1966

There was a sealed copy that sold for $500 on EBay in 2015. So it’s pretty rare. Maybe 300 copies pressed. I’m sure most are just gathering dust in collections all over the country.

Here's the picture...

carpenters-karen-carpenter-2-vinyl-album-1966-battle-of-the-bands-hollywood-bowl_3101042

I think this is as close as we'll ever get, Billy:

Richard Carpenter Trio at the Battle of the Bands '66

That original Black & White cleared up a bit:

Carpenter Trio Battle.jpg

And using one of the online colorizers:

Carpenter Trio Battle Colorized.jpg
Looks great, Harry! This is what it might have looked like on television 2 days after the big day. Karen & Richard were actually able to see themselves that way :) Such a shame people didn't have VCRs at home until several years later...

But with so many thousands of people there at the Bowl that day, there must be color photos of the event somewhere out there??

Article in Citizen News, July 5, 1966 (unfortunately lower resolution as clipping, but may still be readable)

TV listing in L.A. Times, June 26, 1966

I saw a copy of the Battle of the Bands LP come up on ebay about a year ago. It went for about $90 or so - a reasonable amount, but not super-expensive. I guess some sellers may not be aware of the value of its content for some collectors.

Just listened to the Trio's version of 'Girl From Ipanema' again and it's a real shame this was never included on any of the box sets. It's a terrific arrangement and a much more interesting instrumental than 'Iced Tea', which was included.

I saw a copy of the Battle of the Bands LP come up on ebay about a year ago. It went for about $90 or so - a reasonable amount, but not super-expensive. I guess some sellers may not be aware of the value of its content for some collectors.

Bargain of the decade I’d say! Now if only the Magic Lamp single would show up in some unsuspecting seller’s list...:whistle:

Can anyone tell me if there was a band from Texas there called Any wilson and Border Brass or maybe just Border Brass???

Does anyone know if "Jerry Goldsmith" is the same person who orchestrated Hollywood movies such as Planet of the Apes, Patton, Chinatown, The Omen, and several of the Star Trek movies?

My guess, would be that it was the film music composer. There were 2 other composers involved, Neal Hefti, and Leonard Feather in the credits too.

Does anyone know if "Jerry Goldsmith" is the same person who orchestrated Hollywood movies such as Planet of the Apes, Patton, Chinatown, The Omen, and several of the Star Trek movies?

Did we ever get to the bottom of whether it was Jerry Weintraub or Jerry Moss that Karen said "bye" to when he walked away as the 1981 outdoor telethon fell apart?

I'm more curious about the second song on side 3 by Karen Philipp, especially because that's an unusual spelling of the name Philipp. For those who are not familiar with the name, Karen Philipp sand with Brasil '66 and '77, and played Lt. Dish on two early episodes of M*A*S*H.

Karen Philipp is on the left of this picture.
FoolHillEra.jpg

Back
Top Bottom