Hollywood Palace footage was broadcast 50 years ago this evening on ABC

The Hollywood Palace show hosted by Herb was broadcast 50 years ago - today!
In fact, December 12th, 1967 was a Tuesday evening, right?

The entire broadcast was uploaded by TooleMan87 -- including TV commercials -- to YouTube.
All the posts (in sequence) can be seen in a You Tube playlist.

Barry I. Grauman explained:

This aired during the show's ill-advised move to Tuesday nights at 10pm(et) in the fall of '67 [right after "N.Y.P.D."], opposite NBC's "TUESDAY NIGHT AT THE MOVIES" and the "CBS NEWS HOUR" (featuring "CBS REPORTS"). By January 1968, the "PALACE" was back on Saturdays at 9:30. Dick Tufeld is your announcer...Colgate-Palmolive [Pruf!, Ultra Brite] "sponsored" the first commercial break, with Norwich Pharmaceuticals [Pepto-Bismol] sustaining a later one.
Youtube.com/watch?v=COPVsJcac38&lc=Ugz8KiGnjkYVqwKyGU94AaABAg

Has the entire broadcast been released on (commercial, or bootleg?) DVD?

Members of this forum (particularly the ones who frequent it) have probably all seen this footage before.
But today/tonight is a great opportunity to revisit it.

Listening to the first song (of two) - "Going Out of My Head" -- I think I hear a lead vocal from Janis!
I suppose some of the audio (at least vocal) tracks were recorded for the TV broadcast (in preparation) -- unless it's a live vocal during taping. I know that the first B'66 album didn't feature Janis at all, nor Bibi Vogel. It's when Janis is shown, visually, doing a lead vocal, I hear a slightly-different vocal tone (but not obviously different from Lani's). Some of the notes -- at least one, or two -- are a bit flat (off-pitch). So, not everything heard was from the original studio album (multi-tracks).

And, at the very end, you can hear the "live" drums, just a bit (not part of any arrangement or song).
I recognise the drummer as being on the cover of the Look Around album -- but that isn't Mr. Palma, is it? Someone else left a comment, thinking the same thing about the drummer.

Either way, it illustrates how effectively Sergio kept his "backing" musicians in B'66 somewhat inter-changeable and semi-anonymous -- at least in terms of image, visual-presentation, public perception. But I shouldn't have brought that point up, here, in this thread! I see comments on Y.T. talking about the two ladies and how beautiful their voices are.
By the way,
seeing this footage on YouTube was my first-ever exposure/introduction to "For Me" ("Arrastao").

The entire program made its rounds in these parts a number of years ago. I can't recall whether it circulated on VHS or DVD. Possibly both at one time or another. I know I have it on DVD.

Does anyone know when (what date(s)) the actual footage was taped? --
or any background info about this episode.
I wonder what it sounded like for in-studio audiences considering that much of the audio was from the studio recordings, and not a full true live performance.

Back
Top Bottom