Horizon Album Revisited

Maybe I’m the only one who doesn’t know, and apologies if I am, but can you provide a link please? I’d love to read it. Thank you!

Thank you so much for this review. I think you hit it right on the nose, and you provided some real amazing context. I had no idea that the Neil Sedaka conflict had that big of an impact on the Carpenters' professional trajectory, but the way you presented it, it makes a lot of sense.

Also--had zero idea about B.L. Mitchell. Listening now, and it sounds very Carpenter-esque. Amazing how, after 18 years of being a fan, I'm still learning new things. :)

Happy New Year!

Thank you so much for this review. I think you hit it right on the nose, and you provided some real amazing context. I had no idea that the Neil Sedaka conflict had that big of an impact on the Carpenters' professional trajectory, but the way you presented it, it makes a lot of sense.

Also--had zero idea about B.L. Mitchell. Listening now, and it sounds very Carpenter-esque. Amazing how, after 18 years of being a fan, I'm still learning new things. :)

Happy New Year!
I know it’s in been asked and discussed another thread, I believe without a final answer, but always wonder what happened to “B.L.”

This was very nicely written< Mark-T. The link to the Neil Sedaka piece did not open any thing but the background webpage for me.

I may have heard about the conflict at the time, but if I did, it didn't not leave much of an impression because I largely forgot about it.

I like Neil Sedaka as a song writer. He wrote a couple of really nice songs that Lesley Gore recorded. And then there's "Where The Boys Are" by Connie Francis. Plus a hot of others. But I really didn't care for him as a singer.

This was very nicely written< Mark-T. The link to the Neil Sedaka piece did not open any thing but the background webpage for me.

I may have heard about the conflict at the time, but if I did, it didn't not leave much of an impression because I largely forgot about it.

I like Neil Sedaka as a song writer. He wrote a couple of really nice songs that Lesley Gore recorded. And then there's "Where The Boys Are" by Connie Francis. Plus a hot of others. But I really didn't care for him as a singer.
Thank you for the kind comments! The link did open for me. I just checked it.
Hmmm. I’m at a loss.

Agreed. Neil has never done it for me as a singer. He has a really odd tone that I just can't get into. He's certainly got the songs though. Can't argue that.

Ed

I can think of other songs from the era I wish they would have done instead, and I certainly respect everyone’s personal opinions, but I feel it fits the album. And Karen sounds amazing.
Karen sounds amazing, but it's not Carpenters (IMHO).
There are very few Carpenters songs I dislike out of everything they did, but that is one of the few.

Karen sounds amazing, but it's not Carpenters (IMHO).
There are very few Carpenters songs I dislike out of everything they did, but that is one of the few.
I have a few of my own. 😂
Maybe if the background vocals were by Karen and Richard, you’d feel different, (And wouldn’t that be amazing to hear?)
On the other end, which are your favorites?

I have a few of my own. 😂
Maybe if the background vocals were by Karen and Richard, you’d feel different, (And wouldn’t that be amazing to hear?)
On the other end, which are your favorites?
Too many to list.
That is one of the differences for me and every other singer or group I have heard.
For example, I like Bread, who are often mentioned together with Carpenters. I like 5-10 of their songs.
But I love dozens of the Carpenters' songs, 90-95% of them.

I never thought of it that way, but that’s a smart way to put things in perspective. I’m sure I’m the same. That’ll give me something to think about...

I Can Dream Can't I, sumptuous vocals by Karen.
If it does not belong on the Horizon album, where would it find a home ?
Billy May worked some magic with Karen.
Agreed. On the flip side, Richard does mention often how much he tried to get Billy to “pick it up” with regard to the song’s tempo—making for another “dragger” on the album.

Personally, when introducing someone to Karen for the first time, I’ll pull out this beauty. And the first thing I’ll ask them upon first listen is—“How old do you think she is?”

Stops ‘em dead in their tracks, every time.

Agreed. On the flip side, Richard does mention often how much he tried to get Billy to “pick it up” with regard to the song’s tempo—making for another “dragger” on the album.

Personally, when introducing someone to Karen for the first time, I’ll pull out this beauty. And the first thing I’ll ask them upon first listen is—“How old do you think she is?”

Stops ‘em dead in their tracks, every time.
I play this one or Bwana.

Talking about re-visiting, I took a fresh listen to the UK produced Horizon album that can be had
in that big 12X12 compilation featuring all the studio albums.
And, it seems to me that the entire album is sped-up a bit.
Confirmation from others regarding that is requested.
Especially, listen to I Can Dream Can't I.....

Back
Top Bottom