Horizon Album Revisited

He's referring I believe, to the UK-issued 12-album set from 1990. It contained all of the studio albums, minus the second Christmas album. First it came in a 12x12 format, and then it was released in a smaller book format. Each one was numbered, I believe. Largely, the set mirrored the 80s-issued A&M albums, but with some differences. A SONG FOR YOU switched to the MFSL remixes. PASSAGE had the remix of "Calling Occupants", etc.

Gary is now asking if the HORIZON version here is sped up. I'll get back to you.

OK, just checked "I Can Dream, Can't I". The UK Collection version is ever-so-slightly sped up. And I'm talking imperceptibly. Not to question Gary's ability to detect pitch variations, but this UK collection version when compared with the Remastered Classic, lines up nearly perfectly for the longest time. Over the course of the 5:00 song, the UK version pulls slightly ahead of the Remastered. I detect no pitch difference, really, since it's so miniscule.

If others have these two, it would be interesting to hear your take.

Interesting, how much did this set cost back then? I would imagine it was quite expensive like the 2017 LP set of all the albums?

Did Richard have a hand in creating this set? If so, didn’t he want Horizon to be sped up just a tad when they were mixing the original album? Someone posted that recently.

Is this on discogs?
I’d like to see what one of the LP labels look like.

Regarding this particular 1989 Horizon disc, I now notice that the inner markings say "mastered by NIMBUS."

Also, I am comparing the 1989 UK pressing to a first cd pressing (USA distributed but "made in japan").

Last edited:
Comparing the Collection version to the old A&M version of "I Can Dream, Can't I", I find that these two are bit-identical, which falls in line with the notion that for the most part, the Collection versions of the albums, *mostly* mimicked the original 80s CDs with the few exception noted above.

Interesting, how much did this set cost back then? I would imagine it was quite expensive like the 2017 LP set of all the albums?
I never knew of its existence back in 1990. I found out about it a decade or so later and I think I paid something near $100 for my *compact* version of the set, used, probably eBay. I managed to get #1892.

It was about $100 in 1990 when I got mine. The only real surprise for me was the remixed version of Calling Occupants. Mine is the original 12x12 box. Nice set.

Back
Top Bottom