Horizon, most pirated Carpenters album

Jorge

I just realized Carpenters 1975 Horizon record is the most pirated Carpenters album. Any idea why this particular title ended up getting so many different reissues? Of course most of them say it is a "licensed production", but I'd be surprised they were.

I am sure I am still missing a few, but doing a quick search on internet this are all the titles Horizon has been reissued in CD format.

1. ONLY YESTERDAY (UK)
  2. LOVE ME FOREVER Black cover (Argentina)
  3. RADIO YEARS
  4. SOLO LO MEJOR DE (Argentina)
  5. LOVE ME FOREVER White cover (Argentina)
  6. ORIGINALS (Argentina)
  7. PLEASE MR. POSTMAN (Brazil)

I just realized Carpenters 1975 Horizon record is the most pirated Carpenters album. Any idea why this particular title ended up getting so many different reissues? Of course most of them say it is a "licensed production", but I'd be surprised they were.

I am sure I am still missing a few, but doing a quick search on internet this are all the titles Horizon has been reissued in CD format.

1. ONLY YESTERDAY (UK)
  2. LOVE ME FOREVER Black cover (Argentina)
  3. RADIO YEARS
  4. SOLO LO MEJOR DE (Argentina)
  5. LOVE ME FOREVER White cover (Argentina)
  6. ORIGINALS (Argentina)
  7. PLEASE MR. POSTMAN (Brazil)
There's also the "Anthology" set, which is a DVD of "Live in Japan" with a CD called "The Best of", but is really just "Horizon" with rearranged tracks.

This is one of those gray area situations. Somewhere, somehow, someone goofed up enough that these tracks slipped into a sort-of worldwide public domain, and once that fact was picked up on, the floodgates opened and entities all around the world figured out how to take advantage of the legalese and put out their own versions of the record. They're not really technically illegal or bootlegs, but they are certainly unauthorized by Richard, A&M, and Universal. And none of them use any kind of original sources to master the album. One could use a record album, another a cassette. Of the reports I've heard about the sound is that they all sound bad. One has only to look at some of the pictures they used to know that Richard didn't authorize them.

1611525837353.png

I have two or three versions, although I shouldn’t have supported whoever is ripping the album off. One is called ‘Solitaire’ and the other is called ‘The Carpenters’. (They even got the name of the duo wrong). Yes, muddy sound. Probably the less attention paid to them the better.

This is one of those gray area situations. Somewhere, somehow, someone goofed up enough that these tracks slipped into a sort-of worldwide public domain, and once that fact was picked up on, the floodgates opened and entities all around the world figured out how to take advantage of the legalese and put out their own versions of the record. They're not really technically illegal or bootlegs, but they are certainly unauthorized by Richard, A&M, and Universal. And none of them use any kind of original sources to master the album. One could use a record album, another a cassette. Of the reports I've heard about the sound is that they all sound bad. One has only to look at some of the pictures they used to know that Richard didn't authorize them.

1611525837353.png

Wow, horrific, even amateurish packaging - telltale signs of questionable material.

Back
Top Bottom