Horizon Sessions

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

To me Karen's voice is the best during 1973-1975(Horizon Sessions). Would anybody like to comment on this?

I agree- and Horizon is one classy album.
My favorite songs are later in the years, but as far as her voice goes, you are correct.

Mark

That is SOOOOO funny that you mention this. Just yesterday, I was thinking about this album while on the road and I think that this is by far the best album the Carpenters ever recorded. True, the hits aren't as present on this one, but the bookending (Aurora/Eventide) with the quality, vocals, arangements and mixing, this is CLASSIC. The songs are excellent too!

I also think that given the fact that this was around the time they went from 16-track to 24-track recording, they did an incredible job. -Chris

When I finally got this on LP a few months ago, my whole outlook changed about this record.

When I broke open the seal on this LP and played it, the sound was just so incredible that I knew I was hearing stuff from the LP that I wasn't getting from the CD.

I burned the LP to CD and now I play the Lp version all the time. It is just so amazing it's hard to put into words the richness & warmth in Karen's vocals.

I agree too !

Interesting that this topic should be brought up at this time. I was just thinking about this album only 2 weeks ago and I was recalling how much I played that album (on vinyl !) when it first came out. I thought to myself during my first hearing of the album that it was the best that the Carpenter's had put out up to that point on an entire album. That is not to say that I hated the other albums at all. I love the majority of what Karen and Richard have put out as a group and as solo artists. The selection of songs on "Horizon" were so different from what I had heard them put out before. I loved what I was hearing. I still do.

"I can dream can't I" is one of my favorites. Karen was allowed to venture vocally into the upper ranges of her voice. You never really heard her do it again unless it was buried in her overdubs.

That is, until her singing on her solo album came out . I think that is one of the things that intrigues us as Carpenters fans - we want to hear that 'forbidden' range that Karen showcases on her solo album. Most of what hasn't been released from that album are the songs where Karen really 'soars' in her upper range in ways that we are not used to hearing on a Carpenters album. The bookends of "Aurora and "Eventide" are pure class in my opinion. Richard's piano coupled with Karen's vocals are sublime in these two gems. Yes - it is some of their best work in spite of Richard telling all of us about all of them being so terribly exhausted and at the height of their nasty tour/new album per year era. That was 1973-74 I think.

How is it that the two of them (and all of the band/crew) could put together such a sonically/technically/vocally perfect album while under duress is nothing short of amazing. Truly. Especially with with all of them being so drained physically in so many ways.

Like all of us fans I have my own favorites within each album, but this album was just well done from start to finish. I love the entire album.

Just John putting in his two cents worth in Phoenix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom