1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

How did you get into CarpenterS?

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by wolfi69, Feb 8, 2015.

1. JBee

JBee Active Member

Carpenters music have always been a part of my life...but really only at Christmastime. The original Christmas Portrait LP (and then CD) was a staple at our house. I never really heard them aside from that. My parents were fans of Elvis and the Beatles, the Carpenters not so much. Then after listening to some Carpenter Christmas music about 3-4 years ago, I decided to randomly find out more about about. Stumbled upon "The Karen Carpenter Story" on the internet and vaguely remembered it from when it first aired. I was transfixed, bad wigs and all, mostly by the music (particularly by THAT voice), and from there started listening to the entire Carpenters catalog one at a time. The rest is history.
    natureaker and theninjarabbit like this.
  2. sammyj

sammyj New Member

I saw the TV movie many years ago and have recently seen a TV documentary.....I'm obsessed! I've bought books...watched endless YouTube videos.....its the only music I listen too x
  3. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

I shunned them in the 70s though I knew from the release of Close To You that Karen's voice was "unique"(I was 13 at the time). I went on to Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, etc...any heavy metal. It wasn't until recently, when "surfing" YouTube, I downloaded a video of The Carpenters 1971 BBC television special. I looked at a clip of Karen Carpenter singing Superstar. The song was performed so flawlessly that I thought it was lip-synced. After about 5 more viewings, I deduced that it was "live". This was the fall of 2015 and I have been "obsessed" with The Carpenters and especially the vocal beauty of the late Karen Carpenter ever since. I have now purchased a bunch of their vinyl albums on ebay and listen to them frequently. I am amazed at what I missed when I closed my mind to them in the 70s, and I appreciate what a beautiful gift their music was. Especially Karen, you just don't appreciate what you have until it is gone...
  4. I got into Carpenters music in 2005 just before I finished secondary school. I found a copy of Gold and when I listened to Yesterday Once More I was hooked. I found a book on Karen Carpenter and learnt more about what happened to her. I also managed to track down most of their albums. I listen to them every day of I can. I have various books and DVDs about the Carpenters too
    Carpe diem likes this.
  5. masquerade

masquerade New Member

Ok, my confession. I am probably the most recent C's fan here, as I realized who the Carpenters were just few months ago (late November 2017). Although being 43 years old, and having spent a lots of my lifetime listening to the music, I have to admit that I never knew anything more than "that group name sounds familiar from somewhere".
    Well, in our office, we are listening to the internet radio stations, and switching them every 2 or 3 days. One of the stations in November was "California 101" - easy listening station, ideal to listen while working. So, one by one, the songs went on almost unnoticed, until I heard a beginning of one song that really grabbed my ear attention. It was the opening of the song that I really liked from before, heard it somewhere, but I realized that I have no idea who is playing that song, which is a rare case.
    Naturally, the easiest way to find out was to stand up and go to the ipod dock (our player), and read it there. Hmm, Carpenters / Superstar. Ok. Now I know. Soooo... Carpenters have a female singer, really?! I thought they were a bunch of guys. I have no idea who are Carpenters, slipped through my mind. Let's check Wikipedia. Ok... Let's check YouTube.
    And so it all started - I was hooked. In the last 2+ months, I am listening to any piece of music I can find and trying to read the smallest information on this group on the Internet, every day, every evening (so glad that I found this forum, it's FULL of information, anecdotes, links, reviews, etc. - exactly what I was looking for). The dots started to connect - "This masquerade" is theirs, nice... I always loved that song. "Tunic (song for Karen)" from Goo album that I listened like 1000 times - so, that's the Karen Kim Gordon was singing about! ...and so on, and on, and on...

I asked several of my close friends who are into music, and only one of them knew about C's, and she didn't like them. To be honest, I was struck and repelled by the "lemonade sound" in the beginning, but it was the voice that I was attached to - it just wouldn't let me go. And one by one, I started to like and appreciate even the songs I didn't like at first hearing. "Superstar", "Masquerade", "Song for you", "Only yesterday", slow version of "Santa Claus" were instant love, and if you want to get someone into the Carpenters sound (there's another thread here on this subject), I highly recommend these!

So, right now, I am still in the process of digesting this newly discovered treasure that's been around me for my whole life, and I wasn't aware of. It's really unbelievable that no one has ever recommended them, and also, that they didn't have more exposure on the radio. The country I live in (former Yugoslavia, now only part of it named Serbia) have always been flooded by UK music, and much less by music from US, so I think this must be one of the reasons. Also, the Carpenters' image didn't help at all - they simply weren't 'cool' enough to be played in our country... Heh...
    However, I have always been a great fan of female vocals (Kate Bush, Cocteau Twins, Lisa Gerrard, Throwing Muses, Annie Lenox, Melody Gardot, Norah Jones, Florence Welch, just to give you a picture of what I am used to listen to), but Karen... one of a kind. But that's for another thread :)
    ScottyB and Jamesj75 like this.
  6. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Masquerade, welcome to the Boards! I envy the chance to hear new stuff "fresh"! What fun discoveries are ahead.
  7. theninjarabbit

theninjarabbit Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you on board.
    I went through a similar phase when I first started-- listening to and reading anything/everything (and I believe other members have, too). That voice really does grab you, doesn't it? :D
  8. masquerade

masquerade New Member

Thanks Mark, Ninja!
    @mark, I bet it's nothing to my envy to the people who had a chance to hear them performing live...
    @theninjarabbit - I guess "smitten" is the right word, heheh
    Mark-T likes this.
  9. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

^^ Masquerade, welcome to the forum!