How do you listen to our favorite duo?

Song4uman

In the car (2016 Honda) I listen to CDs, Pandora or Spotify.

I don’t have a CD player in the house anymore and I never had Carpenters on cassette or 8-track.

I actually really enjoy listening to my vinyl.

my turntable is an Audio Technica lp120, direct drive.
I have a turntable lab cork mat.
I recently replaced the stock cartridge with an upgrade the red AT-VM95ML.
I have a receiver from back in the 90s probably. An Aiwa AV-D58 and Sony speakers from same time period. SS-D201. When listening to vinyl I prefer headphones.

how do you listen?

jonathan

Mainly on my phone with earphones. Or on my klipsch rp600m bookshelf speakers powered by my sony str dh790 receiver. I also listen on my pc through my beyerdynamic dt990 pros 250 ohms headphones powdered by a Soundblasterx g6 external sound card which powers the headphones. Im looking into vinyl and i would like some pointers. Budget of 300 for a turntable. I only own 2 cd's which are the a song for you cd and the u. s. release of 40/40. Is it worth it to buy a cd and rip it which is what i have done. Or download the same album through qobuz. I've pushed made in america, (rpo in wav 192khz 24 bit resolution.) karen"s solo album and a couple of songs through qobuz in flac cd quality.

Mostly on my phone in my truck, via Bluetooth. Next is on my computer at home and work with "crappy" Realtek High Definition (not at all in reality) Speakers. Least on CD on my home system through my 1990's era receiver and very large speakers that double as furniture. It is my goal in the next 18 months, when I retire and build my cabin in the woods in another state, to replace the home system with a modern, state of the art, surround system worthy of Richard's masterful audible creations.

Mostly on my computer with headphones. I've ripped every Carpenters CD and any noteworthy LP tracks to my computer and have pretty much instant access to any track imaginable. My headphones are Sony MDR-V6 or the equivalent MDR-7506. These are the headphones that most professionals use because they do not color the sound very much at all. In other words, there's no extra thumpy bass or any phony fake surround imaging going on. These are flat-response headphones and I hear everything the way it's supposed to be heard. My computer is set to offer flat sound as well, in other words, no equalization or any processing going on there either.

So when someone says something like "How come I don't hear any stereo in "B'wana She No Home?", I can instantly check all of the versions that have ever been issued and respond with something like "Check the original Passage LP or the b-side that was issued on 45, where there's a bit more stereo separation going on."

Mostly on my computer with headphones. I've ripped every Carpenters CD and any noteworthy LP tracks to my computer and have pretty much instant access to any track imaginable. My headphones are Sony MDR-V6 or the equivalent MDR-7506. These are the headphones that most professionals use because they do not color the sound very much at all. In other words, there's no extra thumpy bass or any phony fake surround imaging going on. These are flat-response headphones and I hear everything the way it's supposed to be heard. My computer is set to offer flat sound as well, in other words, no equalization or any processing going on there either.

So when someone says something like "How come I don't hear any stereo in "B'wana She No Home?", I can instantly check all of the versions that have ever been issued and respond with something like "Check the original Passage LP or the b-side that was issued on 45, where there's a bit more stereo separation going on."
I've also ripped all my Carpenters CDs. Ripping any LPs is on my wishlist of to-dos. I will need to do some research since my knowledge is limited right now.

If anyone knows how to rip using an Audio-Technica AT-LP60XBT turntable let me know. 🙂

I have a good chunk of songs digitally bought from iTunes on my phone and I have most of the LPs, but what I’ve been doing as of the last two years or so is hearing all my regular music on YouTube Premium. I have all of the Carpenters albums on YT playlists I’ve made from the official versions of the audio so it sounds just as good as hearing an MP3. I have each album in the same track order as they originally were, but the reason I decided to make my own playlists was to include remixed versions of certain songs if I prefer those mixes to the original album ones.

The Sound System in my Range Rover is even better than the one at home.
I also listen from my iPhone at the gym with ear buds and an iPod at work.

I do a lot of driving so I tend to do about 99% of my listening in my vehicle via a 4-year-old iPod. That's why every vehicle I've ever owned, I've replaced the sound system with something better. The newest vehicles now are finally catching up -- the new Fords have a Bang & Olufsen sound system option, which sounds really impressive (I checked one out today at our local dealer).

I do not understand why auto manufacturers haven't come up with some kind of an onboard storage system for music. I'd love to be able to transfer all my iPod content into my vehicle -- but, I suppose there are copyright issues.

For listening when we're traveling, I use Bose QuietComfort 3 headphones, which I've had for maybe 15 years....I keep waiting for them to quit working so I can get something newer/better, but they just keep on going. The noise canceling feature works well on planes and the sound is good. I don't think I've ever listened to any Carpenters on headphones, come to think of it -- next time we go somewhere I'll have to rectify that.

I do a tiny bit of listening on the home computer but mostly when I'm doing some sort of editing project -- hardly any recreational listening there at all. I think it's mainly because if I'm working there, I'm concentrating and don't want the musical distractions.

I’m going to check out those headphones.
thanks

@Harry
Question which you may have answers elsewhere before.
If you rip a Cd of maybe Horizon and then rip a vinyl album of Horizon, is the sound info the same through something like Audacity?

I've wondered If there is any difference or does one have better sound?
Thanks
Jonathan

I mostly drop the needle on one of their albums, and cd, really sometimes on cassette..
And of course on spotify or YouTube if i’m on school or somewhere where i don’t have my collection.

btw Timewarp, this video might help if you want to convert vinyl to your computer.

You need: audacity, and a phono pre-amp.

If you rip a Cd of maybe Horizon and then rip a vinyl album of Horizon, is the sound info the same through something like Audacity?

I've wondered If there is any difference or does one have better sound?

That would depend on how high-quality your equipment is, how good a vinyl copy you've got and a few other variables. In theory the CD version would have higher dynamic range, but when you're talking about an older recording that wasn't made digitally in the first place, that variable becomes... well, more variable.

If you were to compare one soundwave graphic to the other, of course they would look largely the same (if they were both ripped at the same volume, of course) but there are limitations on vinyl that aren't there on CD, and vinyl similarly has characteristics that don't come through on CD. So "is the sound going to be the different" the answer is "sort of." You should probably just experiment with your own content, software, equipment, and your personal ears.

When it comes to Carpenters, I've learned that EVERY different disc, medium, mastering has the potential to sound different. And it can vary from song to song, too. It comes down to mastering choices when the disc audio is assembled. A mastering engineer in the Netherlands may decide to boost the gain a little on a low passage, while his Japanese counterpart leaves it alone. Or it might be a slight boost in the treble regions on one disc with a slight bass boost on another disc.

That's part of the fascination of getting a new version on a new compilation. What did they do to the songs THIS time, if anything? As far as the streaming and download media go, how can anyone be sure that what is being downloaded is, in fact, the exact version you're looking for? We've seen that even with the latest Target clear vinyl. They ended up using a bad Canadian master and the wrong "Yesterday Once More" is on there.

Mainly in my office room. I have a Bose CD player that got last year at an estate sale and it sounds terrific. Cd format in the car as well. Spotify in my car, computer or phone with Beats headphones. Hardly ever on LP format. Cd format is by far my favourite. There is something about picking a cd - and commit to - playing the whole album, and look at the artwork, that digital music can't give me. I can easily skip while playing digital.

Back
Top Bottom