How do you sort your CD's, cassettes and/or LP's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yazmin_Salinas

I sort my CD's, cassettes and LP's by region (North America, South America, Middle East, Europe...). I have a friend called Pilar Moss (nothing to do with Jerry Moss), who sorts her CD's... by artist's (or group leader's) hair color!!! :laugh:

Well, when it was Cassettes, 8-Tracks and LP's it was in the order I got them in... Eventually it became Alphabetically, then when I got into CD's, it was in the order I got them in, but I eliminated my Cassettes and LP's still remained Alphabetically, so now I have both my LP's and CD's Alphabetically... You forgot '45's: --In the order I got them in and now also Alphabetically... (Whew!)

Dave :nut:

I seem to have put my CDs in order by type of music: jazz, easy listening Christmas, classical, etc. It is hard to find some things, however, and I'm thinking of reorganizing alphabetically.

How do you all store your CDs? All I've seen in catalogs is junky looking. Ideally, the best would be a cabinet with doors to keep everything clean. All help is greatly appreciated!

Marilyn

When I play recorded music often, I like to keep it organized. My CDs go on a set of shelves arranged first by artist, then chronologically within. Soundtracks, cast recordings, and miscellaneous compilations get put at the beginning.

I haven't been playing records or tapes often lately, but my LPs are currently sorted by label and catalog number (!), and about two dozen cassettes are stacked on another shelf in no order whatsoever. I guess I'm saving them for a rainy day, or else a car.

Everything is sirted alphabetical by artist, with each artist's recording in the order they were released. After the alphabetical section which ends with the Zummos (I own no ZZTop) comes the compilation recordings which are alphabetized by title. After that comes soundtracks, alphabetical by film/show title (single artist soundtracks like Hazel O'Connor's Breaking Glass go under the alphabetical artist section). After that is miscellaneous stuff like Sound Effects, childrens records, political* and religious LPs and the like...

--Mr Bill
*one of my faves is a dentist's diatribe about fluoridation of water being a communist plot, which pre-dates Dr. Strangelove

I don't sort my LPs. They're all strewn across a bed in our guest room, or else stored neatly (and still unorganized) on the shelf under the turntable.

Discs should be stored vertically, perpendicular to the floor. That way gravity can't warp them.

If you happen to live in outer space, where there is no gravity, it doesn't matter!

Harry

Harry's rule is even more important for LP's. Lay a large stack of vinyl on the floor for a month and see what happens to it. Actually, don't...LOL!

Reel tape should also be stored this way. Putting pressure on the center hub is bad news. Laying tape reels down also forces an "uneven wind" which is just deadly.

Ed

Thanks, Harry and Ed! I sort of thought that was best, but just wanted verification. We bought a cabinet to store them and that's the way it will take them. At present we have this unit that hangs on the wall with slots (horizontal) for each disk and some larger ones for double disks. I'm gonna' get 'em changed over as fast as I can!

Marilyn

Actually I don't think it would make too much difference if you stored CDs horizontally. I've got quite a few disks stored both ways and I've never seen one to warp yet. And, lots of racks (including the ones in our store!) hold them horizontally. Of course, CDs should not be exposed to direct sunlight while being stored no matter how you orient them.

LPs of course, are a different matter...always store them vertically.

CDs seem to have more "heft" than LPs did, at least albums from the late '70's on. They appear to be more impervious to just about anything, warping, scratching isn't a big issue any more...but they WILL break if dropped. I had to replace MAMBO SINUENDO after it apparently fell off the top of my filing cabinet, which is ony about 3 feet high, onto a carpeted floor.

Dan

Mike Blakesley said:
Actually I don't think it would make too much difference if you stored CDs horizontally. I've got quite a few disks stored both ways and I've never seen one to warp yet. And, lots of racks (including the ones in our store!) hold them horizontally. Of course, CDs should not be exposed to direct sunlight while being stored no matter how you orient them.

LPs of course, are a different matter...always store them vertically.

True. CDs (and DVDs), because of their relatively small diameter wouldn't be subject to as much gravity tugging at them as a vinyl record would be. Also, the fact that CDs are made from inherently stiffer material would make them less subject to warping from gravity,

I do remember back in the LaserDisc era, spotting a LaserDisc I didn't have and wanted while shopping in Honolulu. Getting it home was the challenge, but I packed it in my suitcase. With the thrashing about it got during the flight and by the baggage handlers, by the time I got it home and tried it, it was warped and wouldn't play. After keeping it horizontal with something flat and heavy on it for a few days though, it played fine.

Harry

Harry said:
CDs (and DVDs), because of their relatively small diameter wouldn't be subject to as much gravity tugging at them as a vinyl record would be.

Not to get into a physics lesson, but the force of gravity is the same on all terrestrial obects within the biosphere (with slight variances relative to the poles and equator or relative elevation, but such difference is negligible). It is a CD's or DVD's lower mass that keep gravity from inflicting harm on the materials in question...

--Mr Bill
recalling a favorite Mr Wizard episode...

I think that's what I was trying to say, though it wasn't quite as eloquent as either Mr Bill or Mr Wizard. :)

Harry

One time I sorted them chromatically, by the color of the spine...

--Mr Bill

LPs: Stored alphabetically on three sturdy metal album shelves I built from a kit purchased at Walmart -- with the exception of A&M LPs. These are stored by SP # beginning with LONELY BULL.

CDs: Stored alphabetically in milk crates 'appropriated' from behind area 7-11 stores. Each crate will hold 68 jewel cases in two rows of 29 and two side rows of 5 apiece. I use black or brown crates with the exception of discs which I've gotten signed. These are in red crates.

45 singles: Milk crates will hold quite a few of these. They're also good for DVDs.

JB

Mike Blakesley said:
Stored alphabetically in milk crates 'appropriated' from behind area 7-11 stores.
So you're the one responsible for the rise in milk prices! :wink:

Those Tennessee natives. y'know... :laugh:

I've wanted to grab a couple of cinder blocks to use as speaker stands, but heck, I figure I can pay the $1.50 each they want at Home Depot. :D

CD and albums by genre and alphabetically as if I was in an old record store. Cassettes anywhere I can find a place same with video/DVDs.

LPs:

45 singles: Milk crates will hold quite a few of these. They're also good for DVDs.

Milk crates are OK for 45's, though they have a lot of waste height and you have to reach waaay down to flip 'em. I noticed the local record show guys use Avon Cosmetic shipping boxes with lids; they have enough height to be comfortable and are strong enough to stack. I added a cardboard divider between the two rows of records, and they worked fine. Several years ago I worked with a woman who was an "Avon Lady" on the side; she gladly gave me enough boxes to store all my 45's, and I still have one left for future use. Not long afterward Avon changed to a new lidless box design that was less suitable. Good timing, I guess...

My LPS and 45's are mostly alphabetical-by-artist, with separate categories for instrumentals, comedy/spoken, various-artist collections, and Christmas. My CDS, I hate to admit, are in no particular order, but roughly categorized.

Falls/drops and stubborn spindles aren't the only way to break CDS. I heard of one guy whose girlfriend was a female bodybuilder...when they broke up, she snapped all his CDS in half with her bare hands, then put the broken discs back in their cases! (Hell hath no fury!) :flex: :eek:

With IKEA in the area, I have a good storage option. I have one EXPEDIT 4x2 unit holding a small portion of my LPs. They have discontinued that line in favor of another, but I have another of the same unit elsewhere that I can take over so they match. All of my video titles are stored away since I have all of them ripped to a network server, and my CDs are headed that way also. When I'm done, I will only leave out the high-res titles on SACD and DVD-A. With so much info online these days, I don't need to look at the CD booklets much anymore. And the space I save can be used to get more of my vinyl out of storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom