How loud do you play your music?

What's your favorite volume for music listening?

• I can barely hear it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A nice comfortable level -- no complaints from my housemates (or neighbors)

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • My spouse/kids beg me to turn it down...but the windows are still intact, so where's the problem?

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • The police visit me frequently but I can't hear them banging on the door

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Depends on who I'm listening to

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The always witty and wacky Mr Bill said:
Dave said:
...all that stomping from upstairs going on over my ceiling...kept hearing that "upstairs stampede" keep continuing...maybe that foot stompin' overhead was for something else...!

...or maybe it was Mrs. Dave wanting to be untied for a bathroom break! ("put the lotion on the skin") :laugh:

--Mr Bill
I'm kidding of course -- you know I am a kidder...

That's OK, Mr. Bill... We LOVE that kind'a humor and need more of it here...! :twitchy: If only I had a "Related Image" to upload and put on here...! :bigevil:

Actually I neglected to put in my previous post, that the "person upstairs" is an upstairs NEIGHBOR...! (We live in an Apartment House...)

Dave :wink:

Harry said:
In the car, I tend to have "my music" on at a comfortable level above the road noise. I never blare things to the point of distortion. But it's always funny to get *back* into a car you left some time ago, and have the radio or CD player come at you with more force than you remember.

Haha, that's funny Harry! I've lost count of the number of times that's happened to me!

"Sounds Like" my next door neighbor ought'a be reading this thread... I believe our stereos might be right against the opposite sides of the same wall... Though this is the first time I think I have ever heard his music "blasting through" the walls of our apartments, which tells me what I play, and at the volume I play it at, might be, too...
sound.gif
:freak:

Fortunately I heard something that sounded like B.B. King coming through the walls (compared to what I usually hear--And don't want to!--in this day & age)...
sound.gif
:rolleyes:

Dave

--And a nice guy, I might add... My wife took in a package for him, shipped from FedEx that he wasn't home to receive and hours later, when he came home, I answered the door to give him his package (which might'a been some CD's he mail-ordered? --Heard the music minutes after he left and he entered his home) and finally meet him, shaking hands and everything... :) :thumbsup: :thumbsdn:

Yow, last week and early this week, these guys were refurbishing the upstairs apartment, even ripping out the old carpeting and installing new carpeting (the upstairs neighbors moved out, so the apt. is available if anyone here wants...!) and must not have been playing THEIR music loud (or maybe not playing any at all?)...!

Glad I'd provided music for them to work by, then...! :winkgrin:

Dave

On my headphones, either 44 db or 42 db depending on how the compact disc sounds. When I listened to the albums, either 36 db or 34 db. I have a 1986 Kenwood AM/FM Stereo Receiver. Hard to believe 23 years since & still works!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

AM Matt said:
I have a 1986 Kenwood AM/FM Stereo Receiver. Hard to believe 23 years since & still works!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

You'd be surprised how many people out there have older model stereo receivers which sound every bit as good as these new, overpriced, overrated, trendy boxes (such as the BOSE "Wave Guide System" for $700 which doesn't even have tone control!!!...) designed for people trying to impress others more so than appreciating superior sound quality. Your Kenwood, IIRC, wasn't exactly chintzy when it came out. I sometimes wish I had bought a similar model back in the day.

Tony

I had a Technics receiver for years, but finally the controls all got so worn out I had to junk it. My newer one is a Pioneer and it works fine, except what would be wrong with putting a bass, treble and balance control on the front panel? I have one "+ / -" rocker switch and I have to "select" what I want to adjust. It's a pain, but it's the way of the world I guess.

My old Marantz, 2245, is getting on toward 40 years old and still functions pretty much like the day I got it. The little mice on the treadmill inside are now all grizzled and grey(like me), but the little buggers can still run. One of the best purchases I ever made - I'd do it again, tomorrow, if I had to.

George

Moondog said:
My old Marantz, 2245, is getting on toward 40 years old and still functions pretty much like the day I got it. The little mice on the treadmill inside are now all grizzled and grey(like me), but the little buggers can still run. One of the best purchases I ever made - I'd do it again, tomorrow, if I had to.

George

Hey George,

Those old Marantz receivers are like gold! Hang onto it, even get it refurbished if it starts to get a big noisy...there's nothing new out there that can touch it, unless you spend a small fortune. Most new receivers do everything in digital, including adjusting the volume, bass, treble, etc. (it's all converted to digital at the inputs so all of the "processing" can be applied). Marantz is knowing for being very musical and clean--I'd give up any of my other older components to get one of that vintage, or even earlier. Well built, too.

Styx "Babe"... (Or did we mention that one?) Oh, the sadness of separation of two lovers... :cry:

Especially the part: "My train is going, I see it in your eyes"... :sad:

Man, it was sooooo hard for MY eyes to stay dry, especially during the pastoral piano work at the beginning of the song and the guitar-work that is not even audible enough to be an "accessory" to suddenly become a powerful, burning solo...!

Dave

"...'Cause I'll be lonely without you, and I'll need your love to see me through... Please believe me, my heart is in your hand, and I'll be missing you... Babe I love you..."
23_sing.gif
:cry: :)

AM Matt said:
It seems that Denon is your best bet but it costs too high a price!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

They have some monsters, that's for sure!

Is Rotel still around?

I know it sounds odd, but even when I turn up my 250 watt/ch power amp quite a bit, it really does not sound loud...just very clean and open.

Same as when I had a car system that had almost 500 watts total power (4x60w into the left/right front/back speakers, and 240w into the subwoofer). Yes, it could play loud, but it sounded a lot clearer than the cheaper systems I had that sounded louder but had a lot more distortion. Plus, the speakers I was driving were not as efficient, so it took more power to get sound out of them.

The most fun I had with the car subwoofer was putting on a test tone CD, and parking it in my wooden garage, cranking it up, going outside, and listening to the bass warble tones shake all the boards in the garage. :biglaugh:

Yow, now, just yesterday there was a maid/cleaning service getting the upstairs apartment ready for the next tenant...

Lots'a Noise--NO Music, 'cept for what I provided, underneath...!
sound.gif
:)

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom