How was the Julius Wechter Tribute?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAN BOLTON

I realize that as I write this, the tribute is still in progress; but inquiring minds would like to know...how was it? I hope everything went off as planned, and that everyone had a wonderful time, and took lots of pictures...Godspeed everyone home safely, and God's blessing on Cissy, David and all of Julius' family and friends!

Dan, feeling almost like he's in two places at one time...

I, too, wonder how the concert was. I'm expecting some digital photos within a few hours. But...things are strangely silent from California! Could it be the post-concert partying, carousing and debauchery has left everyone passed-out and down for the count??? :wink: (And in that case, will they remember? :D )

They're probably all partying out at Herb's in Malibu.

Harry
sadly, NP: radio at work

Hi everyone!

Mr Bill reporting in from the Julius Wechter tribute. But I'm not sure why I should post a review, since almost EVERYONE form this website was there (except the important ones :wink: )

For me the highlights were meeting Herb & Lani (finally) as well as all my A&M Corner buddies. It's great to put a face on these names! Also interesting to finally hear the lyrics that go with so many of Julius' tunes. The vocal performances were top notch. Heck, even "Coney Island" has lyrics!

The evening festivities moved the audience from laughter to tears and back to laughter. Cissy, David and Jerry are to be commended for putting together such a great tribute with an awsome collection of video clips and terrrific performers.

Musicians participating from the original BMB: Frank Devito, Dave Wells, Charlie Chiarenza, Frank DeCaro and Bernie Fleischer. I'll post a complete list of performers later. There was even a selection of clips form movies, commercials and TV shows that featured "Spanish Flea" just prior to Herb coming out to perform.

Harry, Rudy, Capt B and Jim -- your comments on Julius are included in the program!

More later -- got go muster (it's a military thing)

--Mr Bill
who'd also add he saw the Cramps outside just before the show -- I knew then it was going to be a magical night!

:laugh:
What an unforgettable evening!. I can't say enough about the great production. Here are just a few hi-lights

1/ The return of the BMB. In full costume, Dave put the band back together and they looked and sounded great!. They performed all their hits (and even did some great comedy including the rubber chicken in the marimba bit!) They played three sets and it was great to hear those arrangements again.

2/ They featured many video segments that were pure gold. Great clips of the band on the Hollywood Palace, Kraft music hall, and many more. They featured a great clip with Jimmy Durante trying to conduct the band. All of the videos presentations were first rate and helped make the evening.

3/ Guest stars - Herb Alpert was the crowd favorite. While he only performed one number (Spanish Flea) it was great to see him on stage again. His introduction was an incredible video montage of the many ways "Spanish flea" has been used in the movies and on TV. (the Simpsons clip was awsome!). Bill Dana brought down the house with his "Jose Imenez" character. Sue Rainey did an incredible vocal rendition of "Coney Island". Sally Kellerman performed "Warm". Even Jules grandchildren got in the act as new members of the BMB. Other great performers included Nancy Dusault, Karen Morrow, and David Naughton.

I was so impressed with the production of the show. It was really first rate. There were two video cameras in the back of the hall, but I am sure they were for archive purposes. While the concert was great, I am not sure a CD would be in order. Sometimes, the band was a little loose, since they were
apart for twenty years.

All in all, the evening was more spectacular than I could have ever imagined. Cissy Wechter should be so proud that her husbands legacy was preserved and celebrated last night. It was quite a memorable evening.

Jeff Gehringer

Some immediate observations of 4/28 evening:

Herb Alpert is a very classy guy.
It was a very musical evening.
I loved hearing the Baja Marimba Band one last time.
Cissy did a great job.
The A&M Corner crowd are the greatest in the world!

Mr Bill said:
Hi everyone!

Harry, Rudy, Capt B and Jim -- your comments on Julius are included in the program!

Needless to say, I'm MORE than curious...

Do elaborate!

Harry
...astounded at this piece of news, online...

I believe Cissy used a combination of comments from our e-mails to her as well as some quotes from our Wechter tribute/obit page. Once I get a copy of the programme, I'm going to scan it and contribute it to the gallery.

I didn't know Sue Raney was performing at the tribute! Now I REALLY wish I could've gone. :cry:

How was Sue's number? Her voice is still holding up?

I really enjoyed the concert on Sunday. Meeting some of the regular posters from A&M Corner was almost as great as the music. I have seen the names for so long I now have some faces to put with it. It was great getting to see Mr. Bill's real button.

Mike

From our "Small circle of friends" here is the list of posters included in the
program of the Julius Wechter tribute.
Bill Bernardi
Bernie Medina
Michael Ambrose
Joe Taravella
David Littman
Jeff Kaufman
Dan Bolton
Steve Gross
Mike White
Martin Alfsen
James McCollum
Steve Maietta
Tom Wahl
Bill Gowdy
Debbie Bedosti
oh yeah, and Leslie Pfenninger :D

And there is a special "Thank you and Acknowlegement" to Neil Hoodoo and
Steve Sidoruk

Looking over that list, now I really DO feel left out!

Harry
...walking away dejectedly, online...

I'd thought Mr Bill said he saw your name in there somewhere...once I get a copy of the programne, I'll put it on the Julius site.

Mr Bill is also going to send pictures once things calm down on his end. Another journey is in the cards for our World Traveler.

Wish I was there...However I was there in spirit!!!
Hope the tribute comes to New York
TJB<BMB>Nick Ceroli fan,
Marty :laugh:

Having seen the list of posters that were featured at the concert, I'm glad I got to be a part of the evening in some small way. I really wanted to attend and I know I would have loved to see Herb again and meet some of the BMB and Cissy and of course some of the amigos who I have chatted with on the forum, especially Harry and Mike, who are good people. If anyone knows of a video of the evening being available, I would love to purchase a copy. It's great to know that Herb is still playing and hopefully the evening has given him inspiration to dig into the old catalog again...... To Neil, thanks for posting the pictures. They mean a lot to those of us who couldn't be there.

David,
hoping that all who went had a great time.......

I'm very grateful[and surprised!] that I was able to contribute to the evening...everyone looks like they were having a good time in the pictures, and it's great to see that. I wish that I could have been there, it would have been a golden opportunity to meet my heroes, share some stories and have a great time remembering a very unique, talented and giving man. The spirit of Julius Wechter is alive in each of us!

Dan

Harry said:
Looking over that list, now I really DO feel left out!

Harry
...walking away dejectedly, online...

Harry

Don't worry, my comments weren't included either although tere was a mention of someone coming from London for the show....... :wink:

Stephen

The concert sounded wonderful from most of the comments I just read. I would really like to thank Cissy Wechter for using her comments at that tribute. Joe, glad to see his name on Shirley's name list

thetijuanataxi said:
It's great to know that Herb is still playing and hopefully the evening has given him inspiration to dig into the old catalog again......
Earlier in the show, while Sally Kellerman was performing the title song, the WARM album cover had been projected on the video screen above stage.

Well, when Herb came on stage toward the end, he made a remark like "I'm related to that guy you saw on the WARM album cover earlier". :)

Let's hope he now has warm memories of the WARM album and that he'll pay special attention to it in any such digging...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom