🎷 AotW: CTI Hubert Laws: Afro-Classic (CTI Records CTI 6006 / CTI 8019)

All the CTI releases
1673463887177.pngHubert Laws: Afro-Classic

CTI Records CTI 6006
Released 1971

Reissued as CTI 8019 in 1982
  • A1: Fire And Rain /7:55
  • A2: Allegro From Concerto #3 In D /3:40
  • A3: Theme From Love Story /7:25
  • B1: Passacaglia In C Minor /15:10
  • B2: Flute Sonata In F /3:15
Arranged By – Don Sebesky
Bass – Ron Carter
Bassoon – Fred Alston, Jr.
Drums – Fred Waits
Electric Piano – Bob James
Engineer – Rudy Van Gelder
Flute – Hubert Laws
Guitar – Gene Bertoncini
Lacquer Cut By – RVG
Percussion – Airto, Richie "Pablo" Landrum
Producer – Creed Taylor
Vibraphone – David Friedman

Recorded December, 1970 at Van Gelder Studios

Amazon product ASIN B075RHT6WV

This record is...interesting. Afro-"Classic" refers to three of the five tracks on the album being based on classical works. (And one is the wretched "Theme from Love Story"...one bit of 70s schmaltz I can do without in my life.) As such, it is a low-key album for the most part. The songs were a good fit for the classically-trained Laws.

The songs were a good fit for the classically-trained Laws.
...That might be why I've not been able to appreciate his CTIs. While the '60s stuff (the 3 Atlantics) are largely a good spin, the CTIs I've heard have a very different vibe. I appreciate the variety for sure, but I never could warm to those I've heard to date and given the post-1969 vintage, I never bothered to follow-up. He's definitely broadening the landscape for the improvisational artist (not unlike say Keith Jarrett) beyond what was considered "jazz" at the time; so, credit is surely due there. Am glad these are out there, but they just don't float my boat. (I was gonna write they don't blow my flute -- you know to be clever in a musical sense -- but quickly decided the phrase seemed unintentionally awkward! 🥴)

That is what I find odd myself. He appears on seemingly every CTI record ever made and does an exemplary job of it. But his own albums? 🤷‍♂️ They never quite do it for me. Could be that he and/or Creed Taylor thought he'd done enough of that stye that they would try something different for his own albums.

Back
Top Bottom