Humble Prediction re: Summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Heck Yeah!! "Deluxe Editions" with more.......BONUS TRACKS!!! :cheers: Sorry, I was dreaming again. Chances I'm sure, are against that!! :sad:

Mike Blakesley said:
Yep. If the albums all came out again in "Deluxe Editions" with cool new booklets featuring more pictures, I'd be right in line buying them. Well, most of them....probably wouldn't go for LONELY BULL again!

And imagine the excitement among Cornerites if SHOUT! Factory were to jump on the new LP bandwagon and reissue everything as Deluxe Editions on 180 gram virgin vinyl!

Hurrikane said:
Being the vinyl collector that I am, I would be all over that! Especially if all the albums became gategold style! :)

The booklets could be full size 12X12 and the jackets could be the double-LP jackets...vinyl in one, booklet in the other.

Did I misread something here? Humble Pie is Re-Uniting next Summertime?

--Mr Bill :rotf:

Hurrikane said:
Yes.....With Steve Marriot and Greg Ridley and the still alive Peter Frampton!!! :agree: :agree:

Good luck getting Steve Marriot...'cause he be dead!

But, when he was alive that guy could really belt out a tune!

Mike

I just don't see this album getting very far...

I don't see much sales potential for it, apart from the fans on this forum...it doesn't contain any real hits like the hits from earlier years/albums, and by the time it was released, the TJB had pretty much fallen from fashion.

It's hard for me to envision Herb Alpert rushing to get it back out, regardless of the method of its release.

It's hard for me to see much potential for albums after BOTB, other than RISE.

Captain Dave, what about Fandango or Keep Your Eye on Me, the other two solo albums represented on Definitive Hits? Wouldn't they at least have some sales potential?

Granted, I say that knowing that Keep Your Eye on Me is not at the top of my personal priority list for Alpert rereleases (I'd take it if it was all that's offered though) seeing as how it focuses a lot more on vocals from Keith and Jackson and less on Alpert himself, but it was still a popular albums thanks to the hit "Diamonds", wasn't it? I have heard the album as I found a cassette copy of it in a thrift store a couple months ago. Of course, that was right before I had to buy a new car that has a CD player in it so I only got to listen to the tape once, but that was enough to know that this is never going to be my favorite Alpert album (the title track is cool though, but I've got it on Definitive Hits).

As for Fandango, the two tracks from it on Definitive Hits are excellent, almost sounding like a throwback to the TJB style updated slightly with the '80s sound, and I've heard talk on this forum that rare copies of the CD version of the albums are quite a bit pricy on ebay, which suggests that there might be demand for it.

Obviously, Alpert isn't rushing to get Summertime out seeing as how the last Signature Series release was RISE in 2007 and it's almost 2010. The sales potential of those releases diminishes with passing time, so you'd think Shout Factory would want to get more out to get the sales coming again, and God knows practically anything recorded by Alpert (yes, even Keep Your Eye on Me) is high quality music and worthy of release.

Keep in mind folks, all is controlled by Mr. A himself.He decides what to release and when. Shout! Factory is only the licensee, and it's anybody's guess at to what's next on the agenda.

My guess is that the hit solo albums, FANDANGO, KEEP YOUR EYE ON ME, and MIDNIGHT SUN are among the next to see release - we've heard such stories prior to the ANYTHING GOES tours. And these might take a back seat to a possible DVD release of tour highlights of the ANYTHING GOES concerts.

We've also heard of a Lani Hall compilation, so that's probably in the cards in the semi-near future.

SUMMERTIME? Well, it might be a few summertimes before this one gets released, if at all. It's not exactly on the top of anyone's radar out there - it had no hits as has already been explained, so it's not going to be a huge seller, even if they did the unthinkable of putting out special editions, etc.

I DO however like the comparison to WARM. That was well thought-out.

Harry

Captaindave said:
I just don't see this album getting very far...

I don't see much sales potential for it, apart from the fans on this forum...it doesn't contain any real hits like the hits from earlier years/albums, and by the time it was released, the TJB had pretty much fallen from fashion.

It's hard for me to envision Herb Alpert rushing to get it back out, regardless of the method of its release.

It's hard for me to see much potential for albums after BOTB, other than RISE.

Yeah...I'm in agreement. If WARM is a stepchild, SUMMERTIME is.....well, I don't know.

The best anyone could expect, I think, would be a digital download.

And does anyone have any idea how that's going for WARM in terms of demand and sales? I'm sure that would be the deciding factor in whether any other albums get that treatment.

Harry said:
Keep in mind folks, all is controlled by Mr. A himself.He decides what to release and when. Shout! Factory is only the licensee, and it's anybody's guess at to what's next on the agenda.

My guess is that the hit solo albums, FANDANGO, KEEP YOUR EYE ON ME, and MIDNIGHT SUN are among the next to see release - we've heard such stories prior to the ANYTHING GOES tours. And these might take a back seat to a possible DVD release of tour highlights of the ANYTHING GOES concerts.

We've also heard of a Lani Hall compilation, so that's probably in the cards in the semi-near future.

SUMMERTIME? Well, it might be a few summertimes before this one gets released, if at all. It's not exactly on the top of anyone's radar out there - it had no hits as has already been explained, so it's not going to be a huge seller, even if they did the unthinkable of putting out special editions, etc.

I DO however like the comparison to WARM. That was well thought-out.

Harry

I agree.

I would put KEEP YOUR EYE ON ME at the top of the group, since it is more the "modern, contemporary sound," and less TJBish. I simply do not think that anything TJBish is in very much demand nowadays outside the hardcore fan circles. That music was popular in the 1960s. It is now nearly 2010.

Maybe MIDNIGHT SUN and FANDANGO, but my senses tell me that even those albums would only be released if Herb Alpert had a personal interest in the project - not because of sales potential.

FANDANGO is my favorite Herb Alpert solo album. But, I do not think that many people outside the dedicated fan base would have any interest whatsoever.

Just my opinion...FWIW.

It's sure hard to gauge the number of fans out there. If you do a Google on "Herb Alpert," all kinds of message boards and sites will pop up where people are discussing the music, so I'm inclined to think sales of the most popular albums must be fairly decent. Now, sales of NINTH and such? That's another question. But the biggest piece of the puzzle is, Herb and Lani are concentrating on their tour for now, which is the likely reason anything TJB-related will be on hold for awhile.

I will agree the TJB ended nearly 40 years ago, but the music lives on and and is much better than a lot of the current music today for many reasons. Why do you think people keep going back to the old stuff! Because it can still raise the hairs on your arms and back. I haven't found any recent music that can still do that. Let's keep hoping for the re-releases. :thumbsup:

Even though albums like Sounds Like or Herb Alpert's Ninth were big hits back in the day, I'd say that sales of a reissue of Summertime would be about the same as the two albums mentioned above. Those albums sold well in the sixties because the Tijuana Brass was so popular and in 1971 The Tijuana Brass was just a distant memory to the general public.

I also don't see how Fandango and Keep Your Eye On Me could possibly sell well or better than the current Shout releases and/or Summertime. Those records are dated as hell and not exactly musically interesting; to me anyway.

As far as old Herb Alpert albums are concerned, I'd say every reissue would probably sell the same. Let's face it, Herb Alpert isn't popular in main stream music anymore, and unless it's an album like Rise or Beat of the Brass which contains number 1 hits, the only people buying these albums will be the hard core fans like us.

One also should keep an eye on DEFINITIVE HITS. Remember, it was a settlement album with Universal - Herb's last release with an A&M label on it. DEFINITIVE HITS was released in 2001, and there might have been a stipulation that it remain in print for X number of years.

Well, 10 years would be 2011. Once that album goes out of print, then there's no longer an easy way for fans to get hold of:

Route 101
Fandango
Diamonds
Keep Your Eye On Me
Making Love In The Rain

Just some food for thought...

Harry

Harry said:
One also should keep an eye on DEFINITIVE HITS. Remember, it was a settlement album with Universal - Herb's last release with an A&M label on it. DEFINITIVE HITS was released in 2001, and there might have been a stipulation that it remain in print for X number of years.

Well, 10 years would be 2011. Once that album goes out of print, then there's no longer an easy way for fans to get hold of:

Route 101
Fandango
Diamonds
Keep Your Eye On Me
Making Love In The Rain

Just some food for thought...

Harry

And after 2011 comes 2012...the 50th anniversary of the TJB. A perfect time for a boxed set of everything from the early days and re-releases of the individual later albums.

Hurrikane said:
I will agree the TJB ended nearly 40 years ago, but the music lives on and and is much better than a lot of the current music today for many reasons. Why do you think people keep going back to the old stuff! Because it can still raise the hairs on your arms and back. I haven't found any recent music that can still do that. Let's keep hoping for the re-releases. :thumbsup:

This is all true for those who are listening, but I dare say that the number of people listening outside the dedicated fan base is very limited.

I'll listen to the TJB any day and time before almost anything that is out there today, but I regard myself as belonging to a very small minority.

I don't mean to sound cynical at all, so, those of you who are of a higher level of life experience, please do not get mad at me, but I must say this:

Most of Alpert's fans today are those who remember him from the TJB era. Many of those people are of an advanced age, and, as such, their continued existence in the temporal realm for any appreciable length of time is questionable. Thus, the quantity of time that goes by before these albums are re-released is likely inversely related to the sales potential of these albums, since, the longer he waits, the higher the quantity of his fans who are going to cease to exist in the temporal realm. Depressing, yes, but my point is that he should release them sooner rather than later before the sales potential dries up so dramatically as to make the releases virtually pointless.

He must realize this, since he is not exactly of a low level of life experience himself, but perhaps the full ramifications of that fact have not occurred to him. Sorry if this is a depressing thought, but it's my opinion, and I have tried to frame it in the least depressive wording I can.

Herb has no interest in "sales potential". He already has more money than he knows what to do with. He's about the art of music, and quite frankly he has very little interest in Summertime being reissued at this time. And it won't ever be released until he says to release it.

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom