"Hurting Each Other" (and others) song detail question(s)

Martin Medrano

Does anyone know what instrument was being played in the background of the song when Karen sings closer than the leaves. What is the instrument used it is very subtle.

Does anyone know what instrument was being played in the background of the song when Karen sings closer than the leaves. What is the instrument used it is very subtle.

It’s called a woodblock - part of the percussion family. ☺️

"De Shannon is back" - it echos the Captain & Tenille's "Sedaka is back"

in yesterday once more at the 1:35 mark what is being sung
also in love is surrender is it surrender if you can or care

Last edited:
"Shoobie do lang lang"

Now here's an interesting tidbit:

In an effort to perhaps provide a little levity to this thread, I thought I'd perhaps go correct our Mr. May with some officially documented lyrics that might challenge his spelling here. I looked fairly exhaustively through a good number of CD lyric booklets, both US and Japan, and could not find ANY that provided lyrics at that point in the song.

The last place I thought to look before giving up was in a sheet music book (CARPENTER'S GREATEST HITS), and there it was, exactly as Mr. May had posted, but contained within parentheses, "(shoobie do lang lang)".

Now here's an interesting tidbit:

In an effort to perhaps provide a little levity to this thread, I thought I'd perhaps go correct our Mr. May with some officially documented lyrics that might challenge his spelling here. I looked fairly exhaustively through a good number of CD lyric booklets, both US and Japan, and could not find ANY that provided lyrics at that point in the song.

The last place I thought to look before giving up was in a sheet music book (CARPENTER'S GREATEST HITS), and there it was, exactly as Mr. May had posted, but contained within parentheses, "(shoobie do lang lang)".

Wheeew... I was sweatin' that one LOL

in yesterday once more at the 1:35 mark what is being sung
also in love is surrender is it surrender if you can or care

Another tidbit: The original lyric is "surrender to his will". It's really a gospel song. The words "surrender if you care" make absolutely no sense but Richard put them in because he liked the tune and wanted to record it.

Ed

I have trouble on some of Karen’s vocals on The Uninvited Guest. 😀

Yes she more or less slurs the lyric a bit, particularly toward the end of the last chorus. Given this was a work lead, I often wonder if she would have enunciated it a bit more clearly had she cut a master.

@Martin Medrano - As a side-note, I took the liberty to revise the thread title to reflect the broader scope of discussion, since we're talking about information and details related to multiple song titles. :agree:

The words "surrender if you care" make absolutely no sense but Richard put them in because he liked the tune and wanted to record it.

And actually the vowel in "care" works exceptionally well with all of the driven vocal harmony. This was something they were generally pretty intentional about, particularly with Karen's leads. John Bettis tells a pretty interesting story about that in the interview he and I did together a while back.

Back
Top Bottom