Hurting Each Other-how many mixes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

I know that there are at least 3. There is the original from A Song for You and then there is another one on the Singles 1969-1973 and there is a much different one on the Singles 1969-1981.

A quick glance over my list shows four "mixes" (I'll use the term "mix" as opposed to "version" since the vocals were never re-recorded as in "Ticket to Ride," "Top of the World" etc).

There's the original album version.

Then there was the minor remixing done for THE SINGLES 1969-1973 (mostly the removal of the tambourine track).

A more extensive remix was done in 1990 for FROM THE TOP (with new recording done, including re-recording the piano track in stereo).

Then another remix was done in 1991 during the mixing of the ORIGINAL MASTER KARAOKE CD -- not the karaoke mix, but a new remix of the 1990 version, which to my ear sounds pretty much identical to the 1990 remix, so this might or might not actually be a different mix.

If you count the karaoke mix from ORIGINAL MASTER KARAOKE, you get yet another mix...
David

David's right about the tambourine track disappearing. Listen carefully about 20 seconds in as Karen's singing "All my life, I could love only you, all your life..." You'll hear a gentle tambourine tap along with a hit-hat cymbal on the original releases. On the later mixes that tambourine disappears, leaving only the hi-hat. I guess Richard changed his mind on that one and pretty much stuck to it. The other variation I hear is in where, on the stereo soundstage Karen's vocal starts. Some versions have her mixed left, some right, some centered. Use headphones to hear that difference.

So, I count six mixes/versions, as listed below:

(1) The original 45, in stereo, with tambourine and centered vocal.

(2) The promo 45 mono version, essentially a folddown of the above.

(3) The original LP mix, with tambourine and vocal starting slightly to the right.

(4) The Singles 1969-1973 mix, with hi-hat, vocal mixed slightly left.

(5) The Quad Singles 1969-1973 mix, with hi-hat, vocals slighty unfocused and out of phase (quad mixing).

(6) The 1989 mix on the MSFL A Song For You, with hi-hat, vocals left, heavier bass.

(7) The From The Top mix, totally new backing instrumentation, vocals centered and echoed.

Harry
...counting versions, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom