Hurting Each Other-poorly remixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

The other day I was listening to my Singles 1969-1981 CD and noticed that the 1991 remix of Hurting Each Other had a lot of background distortion and hiss. I compared it to the original version on A Song For You and it did not have any distortion. So thinking that it was a defect in the CD I went to Circuit City and bought Yesterday Once More. It is part of the remasterd classic and yet it still had all the background distortion. I thought remixing was supposed to clean up anything wrong with the sound and not add to it! Can anyone tell me why it has distortion?

Alot of the remixes sound really bad!Richard started doing some remixes on the 1985 YESTERDAY ONCE MORE set to improve the production quality of certain songs,but over the years,Richard went remix-crazy and started tinkering with too many recordings,including many that didn't even need to be remixed.My advice would be to avoid THE SINGLES 1969-1981 and the remastered YESTERDAY ONCE MORE set.These are both remix projects,and many people were dissapointed(after the fact) with those two compilations.If you want the hits,I would recommend the out-of-print CLASSICS set,with the purple cover.CLASSICS has most of the original mixes,and the mastering is very good.

As I pointed out in the "Superstar" thread, the original Yesterday Once More (silvery blue cover) and Classics Volume 2 (purple cover) are identical in sound. Classics was simply a re-release of the earlier set to give Carpenters an entry into the 25th Anniversary series. Both contain about 25% remixes, which at the time was a relatively new phenomenon, though we know that Richard (and Karen!) were re-doing and remixing songs even back in their LP days.

Today's version of Yesterday Once More (1998-brownish cover) is an update to the older one, with one new title added, a few songs changed in order, and with nearly 65% remixes. Though part of the Remastered Classics Series, this one indulged Richard with his remixes, while the original albums in the series contained all of the original album mixes.

The remix of "Hurting Each Other" is not one of my favorites. The re-recorded stereo piano sounds out-of-place, and Karen's overly-echoed lead vocal isn't as intimate as the original release.

Though I enjoy hearing the remixes, I'm glad A&M and Richard has given us the opportunity to do all of this compare-and-contrast by issuing the originals as well. It's great sport!

Harry
...trying to keep track, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom