Hurting Each Other

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigGA

I just read the notes in the last topic, and it brought to mind that Hurting Each Other is rarely discussed, but is a great song, as well as a video. I enjoy listening to the 70's feel, as well as, looking at the 70's atmosphere on the video. Then, just to note that it is a good, solid song. I especially enjoy seeing Karen's face as she phrases each breath of notes.

Craig

Great record, great single! It has that "power ballad" quality to it, similar to "Goodbye To Love." Starts off quietly, builds to a huge swell, then backs off. Barry Manilow did this himself, and you hear this on his most popular hits as well. He actually put a name to his technique: the "orchestral swell."

One thing that "Hurting Each Other" has, during the opening few notes, is that quality where you're afraid to breathe while listening to it. :) It's songs like this one that make A Song For You my favorite Carpenters album by a longshot. I've always said this album nearly plays like a "Greatest Hits" collection because there are so many good songs on it...other than a couple of songs, most of these could have been radio hits.

-= N =-

I never liked "Hurting each other",it was always too "manufactured" sounding-like "only yesterday" or "those good old dreams".Its also too "pop ballad" sounding.I always preferred the side of karen that was cool,dry and jazzy,like "A song for you"-with that great piano work and killer sax solo."Road ode" and "going to take some time" are also 2 of the better cuts on A SONG FOR YOU-Especially with those improvised flute solos."goodbye to love" is,of course,a good track-but the electric guitar is too "scratchy" sounding,and I think an improvised sax solo would have been much better..

I'm with Neil. There's not a bad track on A SONG FOR YOU. Even the intentional album-tracks (Piano Picker, etc.) play like just "breaks" from the main performances. I love how the album flows. This variety and humor in the Carpenters sound is something that disappeared after this album and didn't really return until CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT.

I think for the CD they should've put "Intermission" at the end, which would have made the CD version work even better. Just MHO.

Oops, the topic is on "Hurting Each Other." A great tune. First time I heard it was when the Carps were on the Tonight Show, (lipsynching of course). At that time, I was just beginning to admit that I liked the group (I had liked "Close to You" because of the trumpet solo, but I was a teenager then and it was totally uncool to like the Carpenters). This song, along with "Goodbye to Love," won me over and now I have all the albums.

I agree with Mike's comments on A Song For You. After all, I wore out three album copies, and have bought every mix on CD that exists, from the gold version, the original remaster, and the first CD edition. The album creates an emotional high feeling for me while listening. It is just a good solid project.

Craig

I'm sorry for digging up this post from that year but I have a question.
I was wondering why the video of Hurting Each Other was cut short. I guess because there was something wrong with the last part of the tape. Can anyone help me out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom