I am going to this....and other Herb stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I live here in Sydney Australia and I would love to see Herb live, don't know if it will happen. But to my surprise I saw this at our city jazz funk club:

http://venue505.com/gigs/tijuana-taxi-tribute-to-herb-alpert-1444701193.html

So I am thrilled. Obviously, nobody can be like Herb...

At tender age of 56 I have just retired and finally have some time to dedicate to music. Just in process of starting old school jazzy funk band. Here is link to an early rough track (excuse low fi sound). If I'm not mistaken our hot horn player Arron uses a couple of Herb (circa early 80's) phrases, but don't know if he was influenced as haven't discussed Herb with him. I call myself Phil Lee (my musical pseudonym).

my track:

https://soundcloud.com/user-773679089-540847226/funk-me-dont-change-the-groove

I don't use Phil Laws - ie. I have a very distant relative who has a radio show here in Sydney John Laws, running for 50 years. He still opens his show every morning with El Presidente like he has done every program for the last 40+ years - I guess Herb would know that and assume receives some royalties too. But I don't like the name by association thing. He played a TJB track the other week, sung its praises and said " I wonder what happened to him...". Hmm.. mustn't know Herb is still so incredibly prolific.

Not only is Herb releasing new albums regularly, including the latest, "COME FLY WITH ME," it will be readily available in the overseas markets. And, coming in February, will be re-issues of many Tijuana Brass, solo and perhaps some Lani Hall titles.

There will be so many titles being re-issued next February, that you just won't believe it!!! There may be some Lani titles, too. And, I heard that the SUMMERTIME re-master sounds very, very good. :wink:

I am so looking forward to February :goodie: But why are the TJB albums getting another remaster ? Was Herb not happy with the signature series ? Not that I'm complaining ! Not at all :)

Do not know for sure, but would guess that:
  1. last time was approx. ten years ago
  2. playback (and software) have improved
  3. HD files will now be released

The Christmas Album remastering certainly proves that there are much more to get out of these recordings than what the Signature Series was able to. As Steve says, this has much to do with improved technology over the last ten years.

- greetings from L.A. -
Martin

JazzTimes just released an article about the upcoming reissues:

http://jazztimes.com/articles/170254-herb-alpert-to-reissue-whipped-cream-and-26-other-titles

Herb Alpert to Reissue “Whipped Cream” and 26 Other Titles
Trumpeter’s iconic 1965 album and others will be remastered for iTunes
By JazzTimes

As Herb Alpert's new Come Fly With Me album reaches number 2 on the Billboard Contemporary Jazz chart, the trumpeter has announced the Nov. 20 reissue of his iconic 1965 album with the Tijuana Brass, Whipped Cream and Other Delights. The remastered album will be available on CD and LP. That will be followed next year with the reissue of 26 other Alpert titles, all remastered for iTunes. They are listed below.

The Lonely Bull
Volume 2
South Of The Border
Whipped Cream & Other Delights
Going Places
What Now My Love
S.R.O
Sounds Like...
Herb Alpert's Ninth
The Beat Of The Brass
Christmas Album
Warm
The Brass Are Comin'
Summertime
You Smile - The Song Begins
Coney Island
Main Event Live
Rise
Beyond
Magic Man
Fandango
Keep Your Eye On Me
Midnight Sun
Steppin' Out
In The Mood

First time I've seen Main Event Live mentioned. I would think the Herb/Hugh album would also become available.

all remastered for iTunes

And what about those of us to whom "iTunes" isn't an option? We went down this road once before with the three orphaned Tijuana Brass titles. Don't the powers that be (Herb, Randy, etc.) understand that a wide contingent of his fans want CDs?

Harry

There are only 25 in that listing. So, maybe Herb/Hugh would be in there after all. Oh, and it says Whipped Cream and 26 other titles, so there should be 27 total.

Bad reporting all around IMHO. It is 26 titles total, including Whipped Cream.

And what about those of us to whom "iTunes" isn't an option? We went down this road once before with the three orphaned Tijuana Brass titles. Don't the powers that be (Herb, Randy, etc.) understand that a wide contingent of his fans want CDs?

Harry
More bad reporting. I'd take that hack article with a grain of salt.

More like, "let's rush this out, without some basic fact-checking...". Or counting. :rolleyes:

Once I have something official, I'll post it.

The Christmas Album remastering certainly proves that there are much more to get out of these recordings than what the Signature Series was able to. As Steve says, this has much to do with improved technology over the last ten years.

It actually has a lot to do with who is doing 1) the restoration of the music, and 2) the mastering. This time out, a lot more care is being taken with how it sounds, and Grundman's studio is doing the mastering (seemingly Bernie himself, although I can vouch for the stellar work of his entire staff in recent years). Although I really can't complain, as the most popular question we ever had on the forum over the years was, "When will the TJB be reissued?", and the Signature Series got the music out there to those who wanted it. We could have had nothing. :wink: This second wave of reissues is not only a surprise, it's also an improvement over what we had.

Digital playback technology has changed, however, so those high-resolution (not "high-def") files are now more easily played back. Computer hardware and software can now take advantage of something other than compressed MP3/itunes files, and exceed the standard CD sampling rate of 44.1kHz and/or bit depth of 16-bit. That and there are a growing number of networked music players, including Blu Ray players, which can play these files back from a network drive or USB device. We live in good times now for reproduction of higher-resolution sound at home or elsewhere. (Sony makes a high-resolution player now, and there are also high-res players by FiiO and Pono.)

To make it less confusing, I will be publishing a basic guideline to what high-res sound is all about, so buyers can make a choice as to which versions they would like to purchase.

And the vinyl, yes, would be going after some of the "resurgence" crowd, but others like me who tend to spin vinyl first (and digital last :wink: ), will welcome anything that comes along. As vinyl would be cut from the highest resolution source (likely digital, but analog is even better), it can sound quite amazing.

Jeez, I think you guys are making too much out of that article. Yeah, I can see where it may be confusing where it says "remastered for iTunes", but we already know via Steve and Randy that the other albums will be released on vinyl and CD. I just thought it was neat to see the list of titles to be released. I wasn't expecting the Spanish inquisition... :wink:

spanish-inquisition.jpg

Jeez, I think you guys are making too much out of that article. Yeah, I can see where it may be confusing where it says "remastered for iTunes", but we already know via Steve and Randy that the other albums will be released on vinyl and CD. I just thought it was neat to see the list of titles to be released. I wasn't expecting the Spanish inquisition... :wink:

Wasn't aimed at you (naturally :D ), but whoever posted that article on JazzTimes should do some basic fact checking before posting anything. I'd complain there, but they need you to create an account to comment. :wink: In its present state, it is very misleading.

"Ok I live here in Sydney Australia and I would love to see Herb live, don't know if it will happen. But to my surprise I saw this at our city jazz funk club:

http://venue505.com/gigs/tijuana-taxi-tribute-to-herb-alpert-1444701193.html"

If anyone is interested...........

Awesome gig last night! As far as tribute shows go they don't come any better than this. True to original TJB lineup two trumpets, trombone, keys, guitar, bass, drums plus marimba (yes I know there was no marimba in concerts - the studio recordings were authentically re-created). Led by Tina Harris - ex USA - who is an excellent bass player and a real energetic live wire on stage. The talented Tina also fronts Brazilian and African bands.

The infectious joyous feel good sounds of TJB were given top class treatment by a superb band of musicians.(And yeh I've seen the other tribute links from this site - good fun - but I gotta say this band cooked way more especially the drummer who totally nailed Nick's parts and then some). They faithfully re-created the recordings pretty true to originals with a couple of minor differences. On Mexican Shuffle the horns had some extended blowing at the end which totally fitted. About 18 tracks in all. Zorba The Greek - a real tough one - note perfect. Maybe I was little surprised how many younger people really got into this music too, because nothing else sounds like this, especially these days.

Brilliant show - they did proud to continue and expand the legend of Herb Alpert. An evening of such good vibes.

Tribute bands are important. Maybe not for Beatles and a handful of acts that get flogged endlessly, because they don't need any more promotion, but for music like TJB which is not exactly played very much anywhere anymore (unfortunately), then if hear people don't hear it it gets forgotten, which is wrong.

Here's a link to Tina's Herb Alpert Facebook page, which does include a video of about 14 minutes of the show (you need to be patient with the vid the camera guy does improve further in)

https://www.facebook.com/events/1452228948418259

Not only is Herb releasing new albums regularly, including the latest, "COME FLY WITH ME," it will be readily available in the overseas markets. And, coming in February, will be re-issues of many Tijuana Brass, solo and perhaps some Lani Hall titles.

My comment is kind of un-related to the discussion, but might be interesting. I've just come back from Japan. A number of the record & CD stores that I went into, such as Tower Records, Disk Union and Book Off , had Herb Alpert sections. I must say that in most of them, all his CDs were sold out, but I did get a second-hand copy of the CD 'Keep Your Eye on Me'. Most of you have probably noticed that Japan releases all sorts of interesting and obscure titles that aren't available anywhere else. (Not suggesting that Herb's albums are obscure or strange!) If all the re-releases expected in February weren't coming out in the U.S., I'm sure that some of them would have come out again in Japan; they still probably will!

If all the re-releases expected in February weren't coming out in the U.S., I'm sure that some of them would have come out again in Japan; they still probably will!

The HERB re-issues are aimed at the younger generations (those born after 1975) and to re-stock his catalog in the foreign markets including Japan. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom