I just realized something...

I wonder if Richard Carpenter heard the song back in January of 1973 when The Blue Ridge Rangers (John Fogerty) & decided to do the remake of that song?? Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I've read this pointed out before and I'm assuming Richard was just hoping no one would notice. It just shows you that, even though the album has some gems on it, it was still relatively rushed in terms of recording and song selection.

One question still remains though: who the hell is doing that wild banshee scream in the background?!

And actually some of the instrumental tracks were recorded the year before (Blaine on drums) so it really is the oldest track on that album

Jambalaya got quite a bit of traction in concerts.
Obviously, they enjoyed performing the song.
Here is Osaka, 1976:

It's a perfect cover. It has a subtle shade of darkness to it that says so much more about them and the music inside than they probably ever realized.

The general concept was good - the tri-gatefold foldout cover was a nice idea - but, once again, the execution was completely botched. You have Karen's face cut in half by the edge of the side window on the front, the weird over-bright painting of the plants and trees in the background, and then the awful painted pictures of both Karen and Richard on the other side of the foldout sleeve. What could have looked quite impressive ended up looking, once again, pretty cheesy.

The outer album photo I can deal with it’s the inner photos that are just terrible to see. It’s like they were auditioning for a toothpaste commercial.

I wonder why Jambalaya was such a hit in Japan? When this track appears on random I always skip it and then I yell to myself “yee haw” :laugh:

I feel it’s such a wasted song and Karen should have been recording much better material.

The outer album photo I can deal with it’s the inner photos that are just terrible to see. It’s like they were auditioning for a toothpaste commercial.

I wonder why Jambalaya was such a hit in Japan? When this track appears on random I always skip it and then I yell to myself “yee haw” :laugh:

I feel it’s such a wasted song and Karen should have been recording much better material.

I'm no fan of 'Jambalaya' - it's corny and I don't think the 'country' songs like this and 'Sweet Sweet Smile' brought out the best in Karen's voice - but for some reason it managed to resonate with audiences in a number of countries. It still gets a fair bit of radio play here in the UK.

It's a truly strange tune coming from Carpenters. I agree with Rick in that it's one in a line of tunes they wasted their time with. Their time would have been far better spent doing something less novelty and disposable than "Jambalaya". The tune itself is also at odds with Richard's overall approach. It's produced within an inch of its life but the tune should be far more stripped down which, of course, is something Richard simply doesn't do. The backgrounds are just odd. They sound sweet but they make no sense in the context of this song.

As Rick does, I skip this song whenever it comes up and have never really paid much attention to it.

Ed

I remember the first time I heard the track was on the “Singles 1974-1978” CD. I thought it was a pretty fun song, and it seemed that it was a great song to follow “Sweet, Sweet Smile”.

By the way, here are the TOP Singles, Japan 1974 (Billboard July 1975):
Singles of 1974:
GROUPS

Title, Artist (Label) Publisher Title, Artist (Label) Publisher
1. NAMIDA NO MISAO Tonosama Kings (Victor) ___Bon Music 7. KANDAGAWA Kaguyahime (Crown) CMP
2. KOI NO DIAL 6700 Finger Five (Phonogram) Nichion 8. HAHANI SASAGERU BALLADE
3. MEOTO KAGAMI Tonosama Kings (Victor) Bon Music Kaientai (Elec) Serena Music
4. GAKUEN TENGOKU Finger Five (Phonogram) Nicliion 9. KEKKON SURUTTE HONTODESUKA
5. SHORO NAGASHI Grape (Warner Pioneer) JCM Da Carpo (Columbia) J&K Music
6. MISAKI MEGURI Weekend (CBS Sony) Yui Music 10. KOJIN JUGYO Finger Five (Phonogram) Nichion
FOREIGN ACTS
1. YESTERDAY ONCE MORE Carpenters (King)
2. THEME FROM ENTER THE DRAGON Lalo Schifrin
(Warner Pioneer)
3. JAMBALAYA Carpenters (King)
4. FIST OF FURY Soundtrack (Toho)
5. DIRTY OL' MAN Three Degrees (CBS/Sony)
6. JE SUIS UNE CHANSON Daniel Vidal (King)
7. JET Paul McCartney & Wings (Toshiba)
8. WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN Three Degrees (CBS/Sony)
9. THE BIG BOSS Soundtrack (Toho)
10. THE LOCO -MOTION Grand Funk (Toshiba)
11. PAROLES . . . PAROLES Dalida/Alain Delon (King)
12. JEREMY Soundtrack (King)
13. I WON'T LAST A DAY WITHOUT YOU Carpenters (King)
14. PAPILLON Soundtrack (Toshiba)
15. MIND GAMES John Lennon (Toshiba)
16. KILLING ME SOFTLY Roberta Flack (Warner Pioneer)
17. FOR THE PEACE OF ALL MANKIND
Albert Hammond (CBS/Sony)
18. TSOP MFSB (CBS/Sony)
19. WHEN YOUR HEART IS FULL OF LOVE
Chris Montez (CBS/Sony)
20. SUGAR BABY LOVE Rubettes (Polydor)
21. LOVE'S THEME Love Unlimited Orch. (King)
22. TIBIL Michel Polnareff (CBS/Sony)
23. HELEN WHEELS Paul McCartney & Wings (Toshiba)
24. DAYTONA DEMON Suzi Quatro (Toshiba)
25. DEVIL GATE DRIVE Suzi Quatro (Toshiba)
26. TOP OF THE WORLD Carpenters (King)
27. PAPILLON Andy Williams (CBS/Sony)
28. GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD Elton John (Toshiba)
29. SOLITUDE George Mustaki (Polydor)
30. MARY WAS AN ONLY CHILD Garfunkel (CBS/Sony)

"Jambalaya" was the first track to grab me on NOW AND THEN on its release day. "Sing" had already been out as a single, and "Yesterday Once More" hadn't yet been issued yet to radio.

"This Masquerade" was a pleasant album track I thought as I listened. "Heather", the instrumental wouldn't be hit material. But here came "Jambalaya" - it was uptempo, fun, catchy, had the iconic background harmonies - I thought it was a great choice for a single. "I Can't Make Music" was too mellow for a single.

Then I flipped the album over and "Yesterday Once More" grabbed me, and a week later it was the next single.

The only reason I can think of that so many of you dislike "Jambalaya" is that you might be "lyric listeners" - people who put a lot of emphasis on the meaning of the words and phrases that make up the lyrics to a song. "Jambalaya" is pretty much a nonsense song that was designed to evoke a feeling of fun, and for me, as usual, it's all about the musicality and the sound of the thing that grabs me. It's a great SOUNDING record.

Think about the fact that a Japanese listener might not know much English, nor care much about the lyrics - they are probably grabbed, just like me, by the SOUND of the record.

Think about the fact that a Japanese listener might not know much English, nor care much about the lyrics - they are probably grabbed, just like me, by the SOUND of the record.

I would count myself in the same camp. I can quite happily listen to Agnetha and Frida’s Swedish solo material and not be bothered by the fact I don’t understand the lyrics. I like their voices, their harmonies and the way the records sound.

The general concept was good - the tri-gatefold foldout cover was a nice idea - but, once again, the execution was completely botched. You have Karen's face cut in half by the edge of the side window on the front, the weird over-bright painting of the plants and trees in the background, and then the awful painted pictures of both Karen and Richard on the other side of the foldout sleeve. What could have looked quite impressive ended up looking, once again, pretty cheesy.

I think artistically, the hyperreality of the cover and the bifurcation of Karen's face is kind of striking and highly unusual in an intriguing, interesting way.

And the cheesy oil painting on the inside are reflective of the kitschy surface of their ethos that is magnified and encapsulated in this album more than any other of theirs.

Back
Top Bottom