• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

"I Need To Be In Love" Backing Vocals

Jack A.

On the second chorus, as well as the soft "ooh" vocals on the outro...who is doing those? It doesn't really sound like Karen - but I also don't think any extra backup vocalists are credited on the AKOH album. Maybe it's Karen in her head voice...but to me it almost sounds like a full female choir - definitely sounds to be more than one singer, at least.

Sidenote: That outro is just amazing. The soft vocals followed by that French horn fill, it just gets to me every time. That's part of what made the Carpenters so magical - they could create this mysterious and beautiful sound, and we are all in awe about how they thought it up/created it.

It’s credited as “The MOR Chorale” I believe. Studio/session choir backing vocals. @Chris May might know who was actually “in” the “chorale.”
Ah - thank you...I thought it sounded like an ensemble of sorts - does that mean this song was the first instance of K&R not doing their own backup vocals?

Ah - thank you...I thought it sounded like an ensemble of sorts - does that mean this song was the first instance of K&R not doing their own backup vocals?

No, they used the children's choir in 1973 on 'Sing' and session singers in 1975 on 'I Can Dream Can't I'.

Back
Top Bottom