I Need To Be In Love-How many Versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

We all know about this song. It first appeared on A Kind of Hush & clocks in at approx 3:32, On this version there is no added piano "intro", was recorded in 1976.

Then wasn't it the box set From the Top that we first heard Richard add the "intro" piano to the very begining? Correct me if I'm wrong. In the booklet from the top Richard mentions Remixing it in 1990. This version on From the Top clocks in at approx 3:48 (So was 1990 when Richard added the piano intro???)

Within the past few months I have obtained this song, I Need To Be In Love on a white label Promo 45, Mono one side, Stereo other. On the white label it states, "Edited Version Time 3:25" dated 1976.

The use of this word edited version makes me ask myself, how did they know back in 1976 that this was the edited version if Richard had not even recorded the piano intro yet? If you compare the Mono Promo Edited Versions Time to the Original Released on A Kind Of Hush, the Time is about the same maybe a few secds difference.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Let me also say that in the past 15 minutes I have been comparing my Mono 45 to all the other versions, from the original on A Kind of Hush, to the remixed one with added piano intro on From The Top also compared it to the one on Yesterday Once More Remastered Classics. The main thing I can tell is all the versions on CD all sound echo-ey to me, while the mono 45 sounds more straight forwarded there is no echo at all on the 45, it's like Karen is just singing straight into a mic without all that reverb sometimes Richard seems to add.

Would love to hear your ideas on this.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
We all know about this song. It first appeared on A Kind of Hush & clocks in at approx 3:32, On this version there is no added piano "intro", was recorded in 1976.

Then wasn't it the box set From the Top that we first heard Richard add the "intro" piano to the very begining? Correct me if I'm wrong. In the booklet from the top Richard mentions Remixing it in 1990. This version on From the Top clocks in at approx 3:48 (So was 1990 when Richard added the piano intro???)

Chris, the piano intro is on the original vinyl LP from 1976, as well as on the 30th Anniversary remastered CD. The 45 single version of the song had the piano intro edited out, and it was this edited version that was used on the "original" Kind of Hush CD from the 80's.

Murray

Richard's constant remixing/rerecording over the years can be extremely confusing to more recent fans.There are actually 3 versions of "I Need To Be In Love".The original ,with the piano intro,in 1976.The first remix,without the piano intro and some added choir parts,in 1985.And,the 2nd remix,with the piano intro added back in,minus the choir,and some added drum parts,in 1990.(is everyone digesting all this?)On most of the remixes,Richard cranked up the reverb on the vocal tracks.(The "echo" sound).Some songs needed the extra reverb,but alot didn't.(especially on the Remastered CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT,where Richard remixed almost the entire album in reverb galore!There are also 3 versions of We've Only Just Begun,Top Of The World,Hurting Eachother,Yesterday Once More,and a few others.

Murray's right. It's confusing to realize that a "first" CD can contain things that are not original, but that's the way it is on those '80s Carpenters CDs. Some tracks are the same as they were on the LPs, some are not. This is one that got pruned in its first transfer to CD, giving us the single mix for all of those years.

I'd always imagined that Richard somehow didn't like the sound of that piano intro - you can hear the internal workings of the piano as the foot pedals are pressed and released. It's something that can't really be filtered out either, I don't believe, as it's intact on the latest releases of 20th Century Masters and Essential Collection.

Those piano noises weren't as obvious on LPs with a bit of turntable rumble and surface noise, but on the ultra-quiet CD format, it's there for all to hear.

Harry
...listening to the details, online...

I guess, that the piano intro was deleted for the single version, because in this shorter version radio stations probably would play it more often.

Bruno

Murray, thanks for clearing that up for me, no wonder I was confused, there are 2 Lp's that I still don't have yet, A Kind of Hush & Ticket. So it makes sense cause I have never heard the LP version of I Need to be in Love, I just assumed it was the same as the original CD.

So that explains the wording on my white label promo "Edited Version".

So Karen knew about the added piano intro before she died. Fo some strange reason I always thought Richard added that in 1990.

I prefer this 45 version much for the same reason I prefer the 45 version of Merry Xmas Darling, there are just some songs that shouldn't have the echoey feel to it.

Thank you for your posts about my favorite song. I enjoyed reading.

Adding to them, there is no piano "intro" in PV, DVD(CD + DVD set) and Richard's "Pianist Arranger Composer Conductor". My computer shows 3:50 on Gold CD(!?).

Chris,

I hope you will find LP's soon.

Sakura

Sakura & 350 Hunny,

From 2002 Japanese TV Special , I Understand Richard Presented a Demo Version of I Need To Be In Love to Viewers :cool:

Do you Recall this Version ? Was This Radically Different to Released 45 and Album Versions ?

Some Fans Do Not Like Chorale Vocals and Would Prefer Only Karen & Richard Backing Vocals , Was the Chorus Changed :?:

Along With 1976 Tour and Karen's 1978 UK TV Versions , This Would be Fascinating Future Release For Fans :cool:

Peter....Awaiting Further Versions......

Peter,

"I Need To Be In Love" in NHK program(2002) was your 1976 Tour version that we talked about in "I Need To Be In Love", Mr. Hammond & LATPalladium CD". In NHK program Richard explained that BBC taped it on New London Theatre just after Palladium.

Phil may remember the live.

New London Theatre version was maybe slower than other versions. It started with Bob's flute and Richard's keyboards without piano "intro". Karen sung putting more feeling than others.

I think you know that the pictures of the performance of New London Theatre are on Steve's website.
http://www.geocities.com/brockstephenj/

Sakura

PJ said:
Sakura & 350 Hunny,

From 2002 Japanese TV Special , I Understand Richard Presented a Demo Version of I Need To Be In Love to Viewers :cool:

Do you Recall this Version ? Was This Radically Different to Released 45 and Album Versions ?

Some Fans Do Not Like Chorale Vocals and Would Prefer Only Karen & Richard Backing Vocals , Was the Chorus Changed :?:

Along With 1976 Tour and Karen's 1978 UK TV Versions , This Would be Fascinating Future Release For Fans :cool:

Peter....Awaiting Further Versions......

P.J, I'm afraid I've never heard of the INTBIL demo thing before.
For a different show on NHK, Richard played the song on the piano and sang it by himself but it was not a demo version.

On a different note, it would be fun watching him perform it alone and imagining how Richard familiarized Karen with the way it went.

I posted INTBIL live version in another topic before. I will talk about the live again. Please go to Murray's website. You will listen to "I Need To Be In Love" live in Holland 1976. You can listen to Yesterday Once More / Grease medley and Sing. You also hear Richard sing The Wedding Prayer for Karen. And "Because We Are In Love" which was talked about in another topic.
Thanks Murray for your great website! :goodie:

http://ca.geocities.com/need2bnluv/carpenters/main.htm

Sakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom