"i need to be in love" original vinyl version

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaeldila

does anyone know where this version exists on cd? it is the original version without the piano intro at the beginning (which was added later). i have the 'yesterday once more' cassette from the mid-80s and this version is on it. i think it's alot better than the newer version. is the 'singles box' the only place to find this song?

Yes. and as you mentioned yourself, the original single edit is on the US YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (1985) collection as it first appeared on CD. That's the one with the frost/blue/grey cover, CD 6601.

By default that same edit appears on CLASSICS VOLUME 2, the purple-covered set that was issued for A&M's 25th Anniversary. It was a mere re-issue of YESTERDAY ONCE MORE with a new title.

And you can also find the single edit of "I Need To Be In Love" on the original CD issue of A KIND OF HUSH - the one from 1986 issued as CD 3197/DX 834. I don't know if it was a mistake or intentional that the original CD used the single edit, but that bugged me for years until the re-issue of the Remastered Classics restored the original album piano opening.

Harry

Harry,

I think I know the answer to that question. I think Richard intentionally left off the piano intro version because of what he did to the original "A Song For You" release on CD. He had the single mixes of Top of the World and I Won't Last a Day Without You on the CD. I was angry having bought "A Kind of Hush" and "A Song For You" at the same time and discovered how the album versions had been taken out for I Need to Be in Love, I Won't Last a Day Without You and Top of the World.

I tried to call Richard's manager to complain at the time and he would not return any of my phone calls. I wrote Richard letters and got no responses even after sending the letters certified. (It might have angered him)

When the MFSL gold version came out of "A Song For You", I got it as a birthday gift and thought surely they would not have put the single mixes in for Top of the World and I Won't Last a Day Without You. Well I spoke to someone at MFSL and was told Richard was adamant when he sent over the tapes to use the single mixes. But they messed up and the original album version of I Won't Last a Day Without You made it onto the MFSL Gold CD version. The single mix of Top of the World was still on there.

When the box set, "From the Top" was released, the album versions of Top of the World and I Need to Be in Love were on there. Richard probably wanted the popular single mixes on the original CD mixes thus maybe making them more desirable (he didn't care about purists like me) and then the bonus for him was the draw of having the album mixes on "From the Top" making that set have what he must have perceived as "added value".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom