I think I know why Carpenter’s digital music was removed online.

That's old news from a year and a half ago and likely has nothing to do with the current "disappearance". There is a pattern to these things that have been noticed over the years where certain albums go in and out of "print", and this also now occurs with streaming or file-purchase operations too. That's one of the reasons that we always recommend buying physical product while it's available, so that when they disappear, you've got what you want/need.

Carpenters CDs went in and out of print from the mid-80s to the late 90s, with at one point, TICKET TO RIDE and PASSAGE being two that were particularly hard to find. But in 1998, they all came back in print with the Remastered Classics Series, and those have also had cycles of in and out of print.

It has more to do with sales than anything else. The low-sellers are the ones that tend to disappear from time to time and then reappear when there's a new push for the entire catalog. With the 50th Anniversary due soon, I wouldn't be surprised to see a repackaging of the catalog in some way, and the digital files will follow along if that pans out.

Made in America was also one that was really hard to find before December 1998. I became a fan the year before and the struggle was real! Had to buy japanese copies.

There is a pattern to these things that have been noticed over the years where certain albums go in and out of "print", and this also now occurs with streaming or file-purchase operations too.

That's certainly the case with sites like Spotify. I've noticed that certain songs on certain albums "go grey", meaning you can no longer listen to them, although you can still see them listed. In some cases, it happens only for a few days, then they miraculously re-appear again. I'm not sure why that would be.

Made in America was also one that was really hard to find before December 1998. I became a fan the year before and the struggle was real! Had to buy japanese copies.
I remember here in Canada in December 1997 all the original albums were out of print, as I wanted to buy one with Christmas money, and all that the record store could bring up on their computers for order for "In Print" albums were compilations like "Yesterday Once More" and "The Singles 1974-1978".

Here's a thing...I think...I hang out at a local brewpub in my town that has a "TouchTunes" style jukebox. One can download the "ap," buy credits, and select songs from the ap to play buy purchasing credits (usually 2 credits per song). Anyway, the Carpenters list of songs is strange in that it lists "many" of the hits (but certainly not all of them) several times (Goodbye to Love is listed at least three times) and almost as many album cuts such as "Where Do I Go From Here," "Another Song," and "I Just Fall In Love Again," and even more of the Christmas catalog (about half or more of the list); However, I noticed a couple weeks ago, A LOT of the "album cuts" dropped off the list completely. Then, last week, like magic, they were back. Just wondering if this could be related to the issue being discussed.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that these (and all) albums are licensed to these services (iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc.) by the rights holders (in Carpenters' case, Universal Music Group). These agreements expire from time to time and need to be renewed. There are also tons of other stipulations that can be written into the agreements that the licensee must follow such as pulling them temporarily at the request of the licensor for promotional or other purposes.

If the albums were pulled from ALL digital services, it is most likely something related to the licensing agreements: renewal, renegotiation, etc. They will most likely be re-added once whatever details are worked out.

Also, keep in mind, the licensing doesn't have to be specific to an artist or an album. The licenses could include dozens of albums from dozens of artists, so it might not even be a Carpenters-specific issue. (I'm not claiming to know any actual details of the agreements between Universal and the digital providers, I'm just pointing out possible scenarios.)

You shouldn't read too much into it.

In another thread (A Song for You), @Harry posted a YouTube.com link to a remix, including the beautiful transitioning of the songs, "Crystal Lullaby," "Road Ode," and "A Song for You Reprise." I went to Amazon.com to search for this sequence, and it couldn't be found. I keyed in both "Crystal Lullaby" and "Road Ode." Then a day or two later, other threads here mentioned the omission of Carpenters' songs at online services. So it began to make some sense. I appreciate the further explanations here. Hopefully, such songs will become available online again...

All my "Carpenters" songs on Spotify are functioning just fine
All-ready purchased stuff usually isn’t affected. I remember years ago on my Wii I had bought an old NES game that was later delisted due to expired rights, but I could still download it as it was linked to my account.

All-ready purchased stuff usually isn’t affected. I remember years ago on my Wii I had bought an old NES game that was later delisted due to expired rights, but I could still download it as it was linked to my account.

You can’t “purchase” songs on Spotify. You can only subscribe to enable you to download tracks to your collections, listen offline without streaming and to avoid adverts. If Spotify pull any music for copyright reasons, you lose them whether you’re subscribed or not.

You can’t “purchase” songs on Spotify. You can only subscribe to enable you to download tracks to your collections, listen offline without streaming and to avoid adverts. If Spotify pull any music for copyright reasons, you lose them whether you’re subscribed or not.
This is why I prefer CD's and physical media, plus the better sound quality.

This is why I prefer CD's and physical media, plus the better sound quality.

It just struck me the other day when reading this thread that I can’t remember the last time I bought or even listened to a physical CD. It’s literally been years. Rewind just 10 years and I was still going to record fairs and rummaging through boxes of vinyl looking for picture sleeves, picture discs and other rarities. Now most of those single remixes, 12” edits and extended remixes I used to hunt down are all available online. Scary how quickly technology has evolved - and people’s habits with it. Imagine where we’ll be 10 years from now? :shock:

Last edited:
I noticed yesterday, for the first time since I've been using Spotify, that Karen's solo album is now available in its entirety.

I've often wondered though why neither of Richard's solo albums are available anywhere online (except as fan uploads on YouTube). They're not on Spotify, Apple Music or Itunes. I know it's to do with sales and that low-selling albums can disappear from time to time and then reappear when there's a new push for an artist's catalogue, but to my knowledge they've never been available.

"Time" is available on Amazon music for 6.99$ and 'Pianist, Arranger, Composer, Conductor" is 8.99$

I noticed yesterday, for the first time since I've been using Spotify, that Karen's solo album is now available in its entirety.

I've often wondered though why neither of Richard's solo albums are available anywhere online (except as fan uploads on YouTube). They're not on Spotify, Apple Music or Itunes. I know it's to do with sales and that low-selling albums can disappear from time to time and then reappear when there's a new push for an artist's catalogue, but to my knowledge they've never been available.
Both of Richard's solo albums are on Spotify in Canada, and have been for years. They are also on iTunes for $9.99 each.

This business of companies selling digital rights on a national or regional basis, is nothing but a confusing mess for consumers. If I want a CD that hasn't been released in my country, it's easy to buy it online. Why should it be any different for digital music?

Both of Richard's solo albums are on Spotify in Canada, and have been for years. They are also on iTunes for $9.99 each.

This business of companies selling digital rights on a national or regional basis, is nothing but a confusing mess for consumers. If I want a CD that hasn't been released in my country, it's easy to buy it online. Why should it be any different for digital music?

Yeah that’s weird - they’ve never been available in the UK.

I was just checking and for Richard’s PACC on iTunes Canada I was noticing that Track 3 “Sing/Goodbye To Love”. Is listed as an album only track and cannot be purchased separately.

The catalog is back on iTunes with Now & Then holding a reissued label.
Maybe in the US, but in Canada only AKOH (listed as Remastered), MIA, Lovelines, CPSE (listed as a Reissue), and the Christmas Collection. The Gold 35th and Essential set are also there.

Back
Top Bottom