I Won't Last A Day Without You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I was out shopping today & found this 45 single w pic sleeve the flip side is One Love. Why would they put One Love as the b/w as this song came from the tan album & I wont Last came from A Song for You? Seems odd. Dont they usually put the b/w from the same album?

I was comparing this 45 single of "I Wont Last" to the same song on The Readers Digest 3 CD Set. It sure sounds like Richard re-mixed this track for the Readers CD, it not only sounds more echo-ey but the track seems a bit slowed down on the Readers & clocks in at 3:52. Could I be wrong?

The 45 single doesn't have all the echo-ey sound & Karen vocals seem more natural to me, it clocks in at 3:47

Why is it I am preferring the original tracks over the re-mixes?

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Why is it I am preferring the original tracks over the re-mixes?

You apparently are not alone. I too, in most cases, prefer the "originals" over the "re-mixes." And I have some speculation as to this; namely, there was more "life" and "grit" to the originals, as opposed to the pretty-glossy-airbrushing-style quality of the remixes, the purpose of which can be attributed to the ol' "P" word: perfectionism. Which can be detrimental if pushed to the limit. (I say "in most cases" because the "Top Of The World" I prefer is the 45 version which already had some tinkering as compared to the version on the A Song For You LP.)

I'm an "original" kind of listener myself. True, remixes and newly recorded parts sound nice and pretty and clean, but an original performance recorded in, say, 1973, committed to vinyl or CD, is like a snapshot in time. Specifically, this is what the artist sounded like in 1973, using 1973-era technology, with all the human flaws left intact.

Some of the remixes like "Bless the Beasts and Children" are very nice, but there are some that lost something in the remix. In my opinion, the worst offender is the remix of "Yesterday Once More". It was always my favorite single. In the original mix Karen's voice takes the spotlight and is right up front. In the remix her voice is far too buried behind the over production. The song lost it's "radio sound". It had a simple, but gorgeous sound to it. Such a beautiful song and perfect performance. It did not need tinkering with. I guess if the remix had remained more true to the original sound I would not have mind it so much.

Listen to both versions of "Yesterday Once More" in a pair of headphones. Their differences stand out all the more that way. Sure, the remix sounds more technically sophisticated and cleaner, but some of it's heart just sailed right out of it somehow as compared to the original single mix. It's such a dynamite song and Karen's performance of it is just heartbreakingly beautiful. Hearing her lead as the strong focal point as it is in the original mix, just helps to make the song for me.

I would have liked it if Richard could have combined the best of both worlds. For the recent CD release of "Singles 1969-1981", it would have been interesting if he ( or someone ) would have done new remixes that were cleaner, but still had kept the basic "sound" and productions of the originals. If he had wanted to re-record the music or certain instruments for more quality sound, he still could have done so, but without adding a ton of reverb or changing the basic sound of the original productions.

That was the fifth song from that LP and others options were already used. Not many at that time released five songs from an lp as is done today. I am not sure, but I think that One Love was the flip side of another single, too. And at that time, all of the lp's were selling well and the Singles was the album out at that time. That song has such magic appeal and is difficult to sing, esp. the bridge for it belongs in a far related key to the beginning and is an art work in itself.

Craig

I would say the 1985 YESTERDAY ONCE MORE version of "Rainy Days and Mondays" is probably the best remix that was ever done.The remix really gave clarity to Karen's vocals,the harmonica,sax solo and drums-I think it also brought the vocals more "up front",but without the excessive reverb on many of the later remixes.It also remained faithful to the original recording.Also,the remix of "Argentina" on the Reader's Digest set is excellent-again,giving the vocals and instruments more clarity while remaining faithful to the original.And,the 1997 remix of "Wev'e only just begun" on LOVE SONGS and the readers Digest set is also excellent in the same way.I would caution everyone to avoid the 1998 remaster of YESTERDAY ONCE MORE and SINGLES 1969-1981.Those 2 compilations contain plenty of horrible remixes(actually,those 2 albums could be classified as "remix projects".)I remember buying those 2 albums when they first came out,gave them one listen,and returned them the next day!Richard really destroyed the whole structure of several songs on those 2 collections.I think he finally realized the damage he did and corrected all of that on the Essential Collection.Essential contains most of the original recordings,along with some of the better 1985 remixes.ESSENTIAL is highly recommended.(Incidentally,for those who are unaware,the 1998 remaster of YESTERDAY ONCE MORE is totally different from the original 1985 set.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom