ICON (New CD Release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No - the one used on ICON has the opening piano in stereo, spread across both channels.

Harry

Sometimes I wonder if our member mr j isn't in fact RC incognito. Mr J. You seem to have up to the minute info that reaches beyond the questions u submitted to RC years ago. What's your secret I ask again?

Jeff

Well then, I offer my sincere apologies, to Richard Carpenter --supervisor/superviser--
as this appears to be a compilation that I will skip---at least, for now.
Maybe the masses are satisfied with remix after remix...heck, I didn't even notice the synthesizer in "Superstar".
Boy, am I gettin' old.

Sometimes I wonder if our member mr j isn't in fact RC incognito. Mr J. You seem to have up to the minute info that reaches beyond the questions u submitted to RC years ago. What's your secret I ask again?

Jeff
What's my secret? There is no secret-I've already mentioned several times in this thread where I received the ICON information from. Refer back to my previous posts on pages 2,3 and 5.

Sincerely I must say that this isn't a question of integrity or dishonor.
The reason I ask is that you manage to expound on some relatively inside info. Whether RC is answering your mail or Universal the phone. Just a nod to curiosity. This goes beyond the ICON release and the letter of questions you earlier stated submitting to Richard in 1996. I guess maybe I'm envious. I'd like to have the same ease of access to all things Carpenter(S). Perhaps the question arises because you often speak forthright and authoritatively leading onlookers to speculate and request substantiation of claims as fact. Therefore sometimes I find myself scratching my head all the while wondering what, where, how and who? I do tremendously enjoy your participation here and I'm certainly not asking change. Simply put fact and/or fiction is easier swallowed with evidence. By evidence I refer to GaryAlan and the myriad of documentation he provides as foundation. This documentation lends credence to what otherwise might be perceived as mere speculation and/or hearsay. Lest you be misunderstood or misconstrued while reporting or sharing these insights. Fact is you do offer a great deal of fascinating tid-bits nonetheless. Like I was saying it's curiosity and a shot of wisdom wherein I don't buy a pig-in-a-poke prompt this posting. Naturally you must participate as you wish. I'm not complaining. But given the same offerings I would expect a similar inquiry from fellow members.

Jeff

Another thing that I appreciated about Richard and Karen is that they never tried to sound smarter than they really were. They readily admit not finishing college, for example. Of course, this comment isn't directed at one specific individual.

Richard and Karen Carpenter were always intelligent, thoughtful people.
Interviews with the duo--television or print-- are always enriching and entertaining.
Attending, or completing ,College does not "teach one to be intelligent".
You can not 'teach' intelligence, in other words.
Conversely, 'stupid' people 'get' college degrees all the time !
The importance is recognizing the difference between "a piece of paper" and "what's between your ears".

Sincerely I must say that this isn't a question of integrity or dishonor.
The reason I ask is that you manage to expound on some relatively inside info. Whether RC is answering your mail or Universal the phone. Just a nod to curiosity. This goes beyond the ICON release and the letter of questions you earlier stated submitting to Richard in 1996. I guess maybe I'm envious. I'd like to have the same ease of access to all things Carpenter(S). Perhaps the question arises because you often speak forthright and authoritatively leading onlookers to speculate and request substantiation of claims as fact. Therefore sometimes I find myself scratching my head all the while wondering what, where, how and who? I do tremendously enjoy your participation here and I'm certainly not asking change. Simply put fact and/or fiction is easier swallowed with evidence. By evidence I refer to GaryAlan and the myriad of documentation he provides as foundation. This documentation lends credence to what otherwise might be perceived as mere speculation and/or hearsay. Lest you be misunderstood or misconstrued while reporting or sharing these insights. Fact is you do offer a great deal of fascinating tid-bits nonetheless. Like I was saying it's curiosity and a shot of wisdom wherein I don't buy a pig-in-a-poke prompt this posting. Naturally you must participate as you wish. I'm not complaining. But given the same offerings I would expect a similar inquiry from fellow members.

Jeff
Jeff- I'm glad that you find my posts interesting and informative.When I posted the info about the ICON release dates-I stated that the info came directly from Universal.Whether or not forum members choose to accept that as fact is up to them.

I will offer these two additional details on this topic:

1. I did call a specific individual at Universal to get this information.

2. Universal isn't as "generous" with information as A&M used to be-otherwise,I would've had more detailed information-and much sooner.

I feel that the A&M forum should be,above all else,a place where members have access to accurate and detailed information about upcoming A&M reissues & compilations(particularly Carpenters).

You can not 'teach' intelligence, in other words.
Conversely, 'stupid' people 'get' college degrees all the time !
The importance is recognizing the difference between "a piece of paper" and "what's between your ears".

Excellent point, GaryAlan. I taught college for about 12 years and always told this to my students!

Just received my copy of ICON from Walmart (online order). The recording is clean and Karen's vocal's are front and center and while listening to Dolby Surround, things sound as if they were recorded yesterday. I understand why Those Good Old Dreams is included, but I would have rather seen Hurting Each Other and Sweet Sweet Smile on the list, using the great overdubs as a top ten hit and peak into the country charts (Sweet Sweet Smile) as the reason for inclusion. It seems all hits written by Richard and John are included, and of course, and the Nichols/Williams and Leon Russell standard that help create the ICON appeal, and Touch Me...which was the back in the top 20 look for Made In America. So, all in all, each decision in the selections seems justified for a project titled ICON. It was the tidbit mentioned earlier about We've Only Just Begun that ignited my curiosity for purchase. I feel the price was worth it!

So...

When I came back from my Thanksgiving trip, Amazon was still listing December 24th as the release date for ICON. I'd had an order in since July. When our mr J. confirmed with Universal that the 25th of November was the correct date, and we learned that Walmart was selling them, I trudged down there and picked one up.

A little annoyed at Amazon, I contacted their customer service to inform them of the correct date and the fact that the disc was already out at that point. I got back a rather scripted reply about release dates and "out of their control", etc. I hadn't even bothered to read the whole reply, since it was a moot point. I really just wanted to inform them of their error.

So, in today's mail was another copy of ICON - just what I needed. Looking into it farther, it seems that Amazon shipped this one to me free.

Harry

I succumbed only for me ear to find THOSE GOOD OLD DREAMS sped up and up and up. Is it me or does it click along a wee faster?

I succumbed only for me ear to find THOSE GOOD OLD DREAMS sped up and up and up. Is it me or does it click along a wee faster?

I'm not sure what THIS is about. All versions of "Those Good Old Dreams" are at the correct speed, including ICON.

Harry

I'll listen again but my first turn sounded hurried. Kinda like I adjusted my turntable speed a little and it sped up too fast. O god I hope this isn't another one of my spells Abner.

Jeff

Sorry for bring back an old topic but hey, it's almost Christmas right?

I found this photo on the net, don't remember where and I did not alter it at all but here it shows that this photo does indeed exist in a more natural state (meaning no tilt) :eek: I wonder why they couldn't have used this one?

Karen%20Richard%20Christmas%20Photo.jpg~original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom