1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

"If I Were A Carpenter"

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by ThaFunkyFakeTation, Jun 11, 2013.

1. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

“I'm impressed with the whole project," he said.

He changed his tune about the album a few years later. In one interview I remember he said about at least one song that he now dislikes it intensely.

2. Those are not necessarily contradictions at all. Being impressed with a "project" is not the same as liking the results. The fact that alternative artists got together (or were corralled together) to do a tribute to Carpenters is likely something that Richard would consider an honor and be impressed by the whole affair.

The fact that the music is not to his personal taste doesn't surprise me. Richard grew up in the 50s and wouldn't tend to like that kind of music.

3. ^^^^ What you said.

4. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

People's taste and perceptions change over time. Richard is probably not an exception.

5. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Well-Known Member

Its funny, but the other day I pulled this CD out and I was looking at the booklet, and I saw that Richard is credited with Backing Vocals on Matthew Sweet's version of Let Me Be The One.

6. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

In another instance, where I completely agree with Richard Carpenter's assessment:
    He expressed his opinion that the cover by Dishwalla, It's Going To Take Some Time,
    was better than his and Karen's version.
    (I'll have to dig up that reference, though, for authentication).

7. Rumbahbah

Rumbahbah Well-Known Member

I'm sure I've read that as well and I'd agree - Dishwalla do a great job of reimagining 'It's Going to Take Some Time'.

Re Matthew Sweet's 'Let Me Be the One'. Richard did indeed provide backing vocals on the track. There was a short piece on TV about the album back in 1994 that showed footage of Richard in the studio with Matthew recording them.

ThaFunkyFakeTation and GaryAlan like this.
  8. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Well-Known Member

With Matthew Sweet's track, the one thing that is rather surprising is that Richard was not the one producing it. He was just singing on it. I think it's one of the few times if not the only time that I can think of where Richard was not a producer on someone else's record.

9. GaryAlan

John Bettis:
    "Bettis, Richard's longtime lyricist, especially likes the fact that the album isn't "precious" about the Carpenters."
    "I had the feeling for a while after Karen passed away that there was almost a handle-with-care attitude about it," he said. "I'm kind of glad--and I think Karen would be glad--that the kid gloves are off."
    Source:
    Trust Us, This Is Real : Fourteen alternative-rock groups have recorded versions of their favorite Carpenters songs. : Is this a joke? Not to them. The dark side of the Carpenters' American Dream isn't joke material.

I Agree , thank you Mr. John Bettis !

ThaFunkyFakeTation and Jamesj75 like this.
  10. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    If I Were A Carpenter
    Stereo Review Dec 1994

[​IMG]

Don Malcolm likes this.
  11. What the hell does "dusky" even mean? And was it the goal of every critic ever to go into detail about how terrible and corny they believed they were? I mean, really. And they loved mentioning how they thought Karen was a bland, useless drummer - did they ever even hear her play?

CARPENTERS-COLLECTOR likes this.
  12. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

It’s time to look at the plus side of things. This project brought back some appeal and I did enjoy seeing the Carpenters recognized again. And, Dishwalla did an incredible version of It’s Going To Take Some Time!!

Geographer likes this.
  13. For me, there's honestly not much positively to say about this album. The performances are incredibly annoying for the most part (though Superstar is fascinating in its weirdness), and the whole concept was done as a mockery of the duo. Just look at the cover and tell me this was meant to be a sincere and respectful "tribute". The kitschy caricature photo with the overload of innocence and the music was sounds like modern 90s groups trying to "fix" the originals, it's just a mess. I don't think it did their old image any favors and this was when a critical re-evaluation was happening of their music with many critics/scholars yet you can't tell from hearing this.

14. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

Dark.

ThaFunkyFakeTation likes this.
  15. GaryAlan

As I have written before, my niece (in her twenties)
    had heard Sonic Youth's Superstar from the soundtrack of the movie Juno.
    She has since collected Carpenters Vinyl albums.
    And, when she saw my promo-Poster of the cover of
    If I Were A Carpenter, she loved it (I, on the other hand, tolerate it).

So, in some small measure the Tribute album was not a disaster,
    as it opened some eyes and ears to music which might otherwise have been ignored
    by a younger demographic audience.

CraigGA likes this.