"If We Try" video and colorized Solo album cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the corrected versions sized for CD. The one in my first post was not sized correctly for printing. These versions should print fine for size. The first one measures 4.75" x 4.75" as a CD booklet size, the second is the correct size as well, but with bleed room and crop marks. You can cut it down to size after it's printed, using those crop marks as guides.

CDsizetassincolor.jpg

CDsizetassincropmarks.jpg

Last edited:
Just want to let you know, Chris, that because of your work, I was finally able to show my wife the album cover. Something I have been telling her about since 1989 when I first saw it! I think it made for one happy wife to get her man to finally be quiet about the thing! :wink:

That's great, Mark! But come on, we can't stay quiet about it for long though! :wink: Haha.
I meant to ask you - Do you remember if the cover you saw was the same layout as what we see on the CD and the way I cropped it? I just went by the way her picture was positioned on the CD release, but then I wondered if maybe the original had more of the full photo in it? The other thing I wondered about was the color of her jacket. It was probably more rose or red colored than what I have it here, right? I remember you talking about the colors. Can you remember any more details? Thanks!

I am almost 100% positive the cropping was the same. I was fixated on her face and pose. :wink:

As I remember, the jacket color was not as bright as you have it but darker- deeper violet but like the background with a predominately bluish undertone with a touch of red. Does that make sense? The blouse was not as pink, lighter, closer to a white but soft not hard white. (I wasn't going to tell you.. you did such an awesome job!) I cannot explain the colors well, but if you wanted to send me "swatches", I could pick one. How easy is that to change on the photo, Chris?

I will also say this: I was surprised when I saw the original photo shoot and realized her jacket was so red instead of just a slight hint of it...

Thanks Mark. Love hearing more of the details! You have a great memory. You know, it's strange, but I had originally pictured the jacket she is wearing more the way you are describing, but thought it may have been brighter. I too was surprised when I saw that the actual jacket was bright red. I can change it on the photo because I saved my colors in layers. I'll work on that soon. Was the background more blue? Not as intense perhaps? It was more of a challenge to get right than I thought it would be. I can see it all in my mind, but it's not as easy to bring out in the picture when you are working on top of a black & white photograph. It gives me new respect for those who colored the photos years ago. They did such a beautiful job.

^^^ Chris, too bad YOU weren't the A&M art director for their albums etc!

I second this!
Chris, what an amazing video! The cover is simply stunning of course, but the video is absolutely terrific, original and well done. A stylish marketing campaign with an ideal soundtrack too. The sound of the track matches the feel of the slick and trendy mall. Besides that, the whole video is an uplifting celebration of Karen. You didn't just "try", you succeeded!

Timmerman, that's such a nice compliment. Thanks so much. It's nice to hear that you think the sound of the track matched the feel of the mall. I've always thought that "If We Try" had such a sophisticated, classy, smooth feel to it. So does Karen's voice of course! :) Thanks again!

Chris the colourised photo is AMAZING! I love the video, especially the close up shot of the vinyl album with the tracks on it...amazing to think what could have been.

Great work, thanks again!

That video would have been a great promo for the solo album release back in '79..........missed opportunity. Love it. The whole concept is stunning.

The photo is truly a work of art, you should be very proud, it's a labour of love.

Last edited:
Chris the colourised photo is AMAZING! I love the video, especially the close up shot of the vinyl album with the tracks on it...amazing to think what could have been.

Thanks, Stephen. I'm glad you liked the vinyl album shot. Seeing those track names on there was exciting for me too. It somehow made it believable.

That video would have been a great promo for the solo album release back in '79..........missed opportunity. Love it. The whole concept is stunning.

The photo is truly a work of art, you should be very proud, it's a labour of love.

Thank you so much, Chris. I really appreciate it. Yes, it truly was a labor of love. She makes me so happy. I'm honored that I can do something that you all are enjoying. Thanks again.

Both the cover and video are absolutely gorgeous! If only...

Thank you so much for doing this!

Chris, thank you for your amazing work! Your "If We Try" video with the mall scenes is nothing short of a masterpiece!

Yet I am now reminded of hearing a Carpenters' commercial on the radio during the 1970s for a (U.S.) mall store, Colony (or Colony Shops); it was a women's clothing store. I vividly remember Karen singing the line, "the place with a little something extra." I tried an online search but found nothing. Does anyone else have the same recollection? Could I be having one of those dreaded false memories? Am I losing my mind? Any input would greatly be appreciated and perhaps restore my sanity---if we try...

Chris, thank you for your amazing work! Your "If We Try" video with the mall scenes is nothing short of a masterpiece!

Yet I am now reminded of hearing a Carpenters' commercial on the radio during the 1970s for a (U.S.) mall store, Colony (or Colony Shops); it was a women's clothing store. I vividly remember Karen singing the line, "the place with a little something extra." I tried an online search but found nothing. Does anyone else have the same recollection? Could I be having one of those dreaded false memories? Am I losing my mind? Any input would greatly be appreciated and perhaps restore my sanity---if we try...
Don't remember that one, but welcome to the 'Dreaded False Memories Club'! :ozewave:

Thanks, Jamesj75!

Here is a version of the photo / cover with a darker and more violet colored jacket. This color is closer to what Mark saw on her original cover at A&M. I like this version as the deeper colored jacket makes her beautiful face stand out all the more.

CDsize2.jpg

Thanks, Chris, for your FANTASTIC work!!!! The video is primo, and the album cover blows me away. So incredibly cool! And you've just righted a 33 year old wrong. :) Thanks so much.
Bob Finholm

Oh wow!!!
I like that so much better, I just replaced this one for my desktop, it even makes her brown eyes more beautiful.

Thank you!!

Glad you like it, Chris. I wish I'd done it with this color before I put the video together. Oh well. Yes, I agree that it makes her brown eyes more beautiful! :)

WOW! Great work, Chris. Thank you! My new favorite thread on the Boards.

Thank you, Mark! Thanks for all the inspiration!

Thanks, Chris, for your FANTASTIC work!!!! The video is primo, and the album cover blows me away. So incredibly cool! And you've just righted a 33 year old wrong. :) Thanks so much.
Bob Finholm

Bob, thank you!! Gosh, hard to believe it was 33 years ago. I'm glad we all continue to celebrate Karen and her amazing work. Thanks so much for your kind comments!

Thanks, Jamesj75!

Here is a version of the photo / cover with a darker and more violet colored jacket. This color is closer to what Mark saw on her original cover at A&M. I like this version as the deeper colored jacket makes her beautiful face stand out all the more.

CDsize2.jpg
Chris- I meant to ask you- is this photo sized for CD? Can I print it as is to fit a jewel case?

Mark - Yes, that one is sized at 4.75" x 4.74". It should print out the right size for a jewel case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom