IN THE MOOD - an A&M Fan Net Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
HERB ALPERT
IN THE MOOD

We all anxiously await every new Herb Alpert album. In fact, I can remember specifically when some of the TJB albums were released many years ago on vinyl and you had to choose the mono or stereo version. Now you have to settle for small graphics and liner notes or none at all. :sad:

To take you back to the day, Herb re-visited tunes (Let It Be Me & Spanish Harlem) from his first two albums. He also gave us some TJB-sounding trumpet harmonies and a tune that if you added a marimba, it would be hard to distinguish from those early days. Some of you will be sad to know that there is hardly any muted trumpet here. :D I’d provide further info, however this Shout! Factory promo copy has neither composer nor musician credits, so we’ll just have to wait for the intimate details.

Chattanooga Choo Choo – you can give it a listen: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014...oo-choo-exclusive-song-premiere/?mod=newsreel

Blue Moon – this is Herb’s minimalist version, which sounds great compared to some other versions, which tend to be way over the top.

Zoo Train – sounds like a TJB tune that could have been in the Lost Treasures collection – I like it a lot!

Begin The Beguine – a standard with Herb’s unmistakable sound.

Don’t Cry – think of the intro to Summertime and it spins into this new tune with Herb & Lani vocals. There are more trumpet phrases that will be familiar as well.

Ol’ Man River (Amazon Exclusive in their Deluxe Edition) – not heard yet.

Let It Be Me – trumpet harmonies will take you back to an earlier day – a very nice re-visit! And years back, an Everly Brothers hit.

Spanish Harlem – a rich sounding horn with more trumpet harmonies and less ‘metal’ than this tune’s Volume 2 sound. Has a nice sounding vocal chorus.

5 am (music: Hussain Jiffry, lyrics: Herb Alpert & Lani Hall) – sounds like it was custom made for Herb with Lani’s vocals.

Morning (Clare Fischer) – very nice ballad, previously heard with Lani’s Dinorah and an up-tempo version can be found on Sergio Mendes’ Great Arrival album on Atlantic from in the late 60’s.

When Sunny Gets Blue – a nice blend of horn and piano with some lush strings added.

Amy’s Tune (Mike Shapiro)sort of reminds me of a Pete Jolly tune

All I Have To Do Is Dream – a nice ballad, and as always, Herb ‘plays’ the lyrics. Again, with some pleasing trumpet harmonies. And the second Everly Brothers tune included here.

Sneaky – sounds like it came from the Second Wind album. In addition to its catchy title and bouncy beat, I see this tune getting a lot of smooth jazz airplay and expect it to be chart bound. This is where I hear a slight bit of a muted trumpet, in two part harmony with the open horn - it sounds good this way and works for me!
Listen here: http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...ndary-musician-herb-alperts-new-single-sneaky

Conversation (Bill Cantos) (Amazon Exclusive in their Deluxe Edition) – not heard yet.

America The Beautiful – A few years back, Herb performed this song at the end of the Viva Miami! TV special. The song was great, but it was cut short when they dropped an airline commercial over the top of it. Herb now gives us a new version with some similarities – and with unusual percussion for the intro and throughout.

Steve Sidoruk
A&M Fan Network
Cheshire, CT

Last edited:
Thanks for the reviews. I for one am glad for the 'very little muted trumpet' news. Looking forward to the new record!

Waiting for songwriting credits for this material... Isn't "Amy's Tune" the Lovin' Spoonful song, Nick De Caro also did?

I keep wondering who the trumpet player was on Sonny Charles and The Checkmates' version of "Spanish Harlem"...

-- Dave

thanks Captain, I figured since they are releasing others on vinyl they would release in the mood.
thanks
bob

guys since I could not post this to the right thread which was locked so go ahead and put this in the right post. and since I do not have account with Amazon I ordered my copy of in the mood from Best buy. i ordered yesterday and said it would come on Oct, 2nd and it said it comes with a slip case. so I did not get the autographed one,but love to, oh well
bob

Three copies of cd on order here, expected tomorrow. I was kinda " in the mood" to share some good music with my brother and a friend...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom