📷 Gallery Inner Sleeves

Threads with gallery-like content.
Since it was packed in a CD longbox, it was probably a marketing or fulfillment office that handled these types of requests for the label.

The usual A&M PO Box was 782... So it did seem strange to see that. The inclusion of "Horizon" would indicate sometime between 1977 and the very early 80s, as Horizon was soon discontinued after that (despite a brief return as a Word Records imprint in the mid to late 80s)

--Mr Bill

Here's another one. This one is labeled "6a" and is just a bit different from "6b", posted a few pages earlier. The dog image is the same. This one was inside SP-4573, Nils Lofgren, CRY TOUGH. Notice that some images have little QUAD CD-4 logos added either in the cover image or just below.

IH-6a1.jpgIH-6a2.jpg

Here's another one. This one is labeled "6a" and is just a bit different from "6b", posted a few pages earlier. The dog image is the same. This one was inside SP-4573, Nils Lofgren, CRY TOUGH. Notice that some images have little QUAD CD-4 logos added either in the cover image or just below.

IH-6a1.jpgIH-6a2.jpg
I had a few of these innersleeves too along with the revised 6B

SP 4281 is approximately early 1971 and I'm confident ...Sounds Like... and the We Five LP did not remain in print much longer at this point.

Another innersleeve in the Ansel Adams black & white series. I found this one in a near minty copy of the first WINGS (Michel Colombier) album SPX 4281.

InnerWingsFront.jpg

InnerWingsRear.jpg
Harry, my copy of Wings(4281 also) has the sleeve that you posted on May 4 (with the boy in the field).

I'm of the firm belief that these record company innersleeves were thrown into an album somewhat randomly. A certain series might be used and when one version ran out, the next in line would do. It probably also varied by the pressing plant.

I'm of the firm belief that these record company innersleeves were thrown into an album somewhat randomly. A certain series might be used and when one version ran out, the next in line would do. It probably also varied by the pressing plant.
That is true. I have seen different sleeves in copies of Look Around and Fool On The Hill when I got them after wearing out my first copies.

To this day, I would say this is my second-favorite design of inner sleeves, the first-favorite being the ones with Ansel Adams photography. A very close runner-up is the "Man's Best Friend" inner sleeve with the dog looking the flying saucers... err, records.
This Listen to Your World sleeve was also in Brasil'77 Primal Roots. I saw it at a used book and record store today. I am going to have to check it out some more as they got in several thousand lps recently.

Last edited:
I was at a thrift store today and hit it at the right time. I found a copy of Burt Bacharach and Friends SP190007 and TJB Christmas Album. The inner sleeve that I found is different from those posted. It is Ansel Adams' beach scene with 15 covers on the back side with scallop shells at the top. Albums pictured include 5 TJB- South Of The Border, Whipped Cream, Warm, Brass Are Comin and Greatest Hits. Quincy Jones-Walking in Space and Gula Matari, Procol Harum-Home, Jimmy Rogers Child of Clay, Spooky Tooth-Spooky Two, Ceremony, The Last Puff, Joe Cocker- With a Little Help From My Friends, Mad Dogs and Englishmen, Joe Cocker.

I always thought it was kind of cool (almost anti-establishment cool) that A&M would use valuable real estate on their innersleeves for nature photos and such. They could have just plastered both sides with album cover images, like they (and every other label) did in earlier years.

I always thought it was kind of cool (almost anti-establishment cool) that A&M would use valuable real estate on their innersleeves for nature photos and such. They could have just plastered both sides with album cover images, like they (and every other label) did in earlier years.
I am sure it cost A&M a bundle to be able to use the pictures. By doing everything in black and white, as the original pictures most likely are, they did save some money in that respect. It was always great to see the pictures though and I wish they had continued it for a longer period of time.

I was at a thrift store today and hit it at the right time. I found a copy of Burt Bacharach and Friends SP190007 and TJB Christmas Album. The inner sleeve that I found is different from those posted. It is Ansel Adams' beach scene with 15 covers on the back side with scallop shells at the top. Albums pictured include 5 TJB- South Of The Border, Whipped Cream, Warm, Brass Are Comin and Greatest Hits. Quincy Jones-Walking in Space and Gula Matari, Procol Harum-Home, Jimmy Rogers Child of Clay, Spooky Tooth-Spooky Two, Ceremony, The Last Puff, Joe Cocker- With a Little Help From My Friends, Mad Dogs and Englishmen, Joe Cocker.
That sounds like a later innersleeve for those titles. Many times dealers will change out innersleeves with others, maybe severely damaged records with good sleeves. At a thrift store you never know how many prior owners have handled the album.

There was several A&M albums at the thrift store. The Butch Cassidy Soundtrack was there so it might have come from that record when someone was looking at the condition of both. That lp's number is close to those on the sleeve. There were some TJB in both mono and stereo but I already have them.

Steve, I want you to know that since I found this particular thread, I have been looking at the inner sleeves of all A&M records that I see in thrift or used record stores to see if there are any of those that I do not have that are not artist specific. One thrift store had a number of A&M but all the sleeves were missing. I have enjoyed this thread.

Last edited:
I am sure it cost A&M a bundle to be able to use the pictures. By doing everything in black and white, as the original pictures most likely are, they did save some money in that respect.

The pictures in the "Preserve the Sound Outside" series were all from a book (This is the American Earth) by Ansel Adams, who was a photographer best known for his black-and-white scenery pics. My guess is since the photos were going to be B&W anyway, they probably figured it was artistically a better choice to use B&W for the album covers too. (Or maybe I'm putting too much thought into it and they were just saving a few bucks, who knows, right?)

I think this album cover only said THE Captain and Tennille on the first printing -- after that it quickly became just "Captain and Tennille." I always liked having "The" as part of their name, I can't really say why, it just seemed cool. I wonder if it ever showed up on an innersleeve in its "updated" version?

1658029542145.png

I think this album cover only said THE Captain and Tennille on the first printing -- after that it quickly became just "Captain and Tennille." I always liked having "The" as part of their name, I can't really say why, it just seemed cool. I wonder if it ever showed up on an innersleeve in its "updated" version?

1658029542145.png
Interesting... I never noticed that before. kind of like "The Carpenters" vs "Carpenters."

--Mr. Bill

1658029542145.png
I have this particular inner sleeve but never noticed "The" on the name for Captain and Tennille.
Now you have got me looking for the lp with "The"on it.

My 1st pressing of Love Will Keep Us Together album say The Captain & Tennille on it. Vinyl: British reissue of Carpenters Ticket to Ride on MFP says The Carpenters. My Japanese TTR, Alfa pressing, The Carpenters. Cd: British Ultimate Collection says The Carpenters on the spine only. Same with Love Songs. Singles 1974-1978 spine and front cover, as do the vinyl album covers, and the MFSL spine for ASFY. I’m sure there are even more.

I don't know if it was only the first pressing, but the first copies (plural, because it was sold and reordered a few times) all said "The Captain...." So it was a good long time. I think it probably happened after their next album, Song of Joy, came out -- since that one just said "Captain and Tennille" on it, I would surmise that any future runs of the first album left "The" off.

Back
Top Bottom