📷 Gallery Inner Sleeves

Threads with gallery-like content.
I don't know if it was only the first pressing, but the first copies (plural, because it was sold and reordered a few times) all said "The Captain...." So it was a good long time. I think it probably happened after their next album, Song of Joy, came out -- since that one just said "Captain and Tennille" on it, I would surmise that any future runs of the first album left "The" off.
I got my copy through Columbia House without "The" and that was maybe 6 or so months after it was released.

I think this album cover only said THE Captain and Tennille on the first printing -- after that it quickly became just "Captain and Tennille." I always liked having "The" as part of their name, I can't really say why, it just seemed cool. I wonder if it ever showed up on an innersleeve in its "updated" version?

1658029542145.png
I noticed on the lp that I have that the record label itself has "The Captain and Tennille" and I saw another copy at a thrift store and it had the same on it. So even though it disappeard from the cover, it stayed on the lp.

And there was this one, from 1969: (IH-7-POP)

am-31-qpt.jpg

am-32-qpt.jpg
Harry,
I had pulled out a couple of lp's to play and was looking at the sleeves and noticed something very interesting. This particular sleeve was printed twice. One of those that I have has Make It Easy On Yourself as SP 4131 along with Reach Out. I now have to look at the others of this type that I have and see how many might have this mistake.

I may check the innersleeve I just got before I toss it in the trash--this was for a sealed UK LP I bought. It's one of the 70s innersleeves and may be the same, or similar to the US sleeves. But I have to get rid of it since the inside of the jacket had mildew. I currently have the record sleeved in a rice paper sleeve after four cycles through the ultrasonic cleaner, and keeping the jacket quarantined until I can find a way to clean it safely.

I may check the innersleeve I just got before I toss it in the trash--this was for a sealed UK LP I bought. It's one of the 70s innersleeves and may be the same, or similar to the US sleeves. But I have to get rid of it since the inside of the jacket had mildew. I currently have the record sleeved in a rice paper sleeve after four cycles through the ultrasonic cleaner, and keeping the jacket quarantined until I can find a way to clean it safely.
That is bad when something sealed had moisture sealed inside as well. Where I used to work we got in tee shirts sealed in a bag and soaking wet. When it got opened, the odor nearly cleared out the warehouse.

I think this album cover only said THE Captain and Tennille on the first printing -- after that it quickly became just "Captain and Tennille." I always liked having "The" as part of their name, I can't really say why, it just seemed cool. I wonder if it ever showed up on an innersleeve in its "updated" version?

1658029542145.png
I picked up a copy today with "The" in the title.
It is a Columbia House issue but it has SP 3405 as the catalog number.
I remember seeing this number in record club ads from Record Club of America with a $6.98 list price.
The 4552 number was showing up at $5.98 and I do remember seeing an article about this album to be released as a test
at $5.98 when nearly all lp's at that time were running $6.98.
My copy of 4552 was from Columbia House and was $5.98 even though it was previously listed in earlier catalogs at $6.98.

I wonder why it was only used on the Warm lp and not any others.

After WARM, there was THE BRASS ARE COMIN', and I don't honestly remember what sleeve was inside that.

Also THE BRASS ARE COMIN' was released in November of '69 and the poster offer coupon has an expiration date of December 31, 1969, so (if the album had sold well and long), they'd have been selling the album with an expired offer inside.

Just realized that in one form or another, I own every title pictured on IH-7-POP.

Just realized that in one form or another, I own every title pictured on IH-7-POP.
I have 13 of the titles. 3 of the Brasil'66 albums that I bought had this as the original sleeve as well.
I did not look at the sleeve too intensely and did not notice the expire date for ordering. So this would be a One and Done sleeve.
Sometimes even expired offers are filled after the date so maybe some posters got sold after the fact.

Last edited:
Carpenters HORIZON did that too, having a clear sticker on the shrink wrap and no words on the cover itself.

horizon1.jpg
I was going through some of my lps and remembered that Judy Collins Hard Times For Lovers also just had a sticker on the shrink wrap.

Back
Top Bottom