Interesting Reaction/Analysis of WOJB

Tony

This is a fascinating video by a young woman who breaks down WOJB by isolating its various tracks. It's fascinating to hear the vocal harmonies taken apart, to hear the strings isolated, to listen to parts of this song like I've never heard them. Well worth a look--ignore the fact that she mistakenly calls Richard by the wrong name--John :)

This is a fascinating video by a young woman who breaks down WOJB by isolating its various tracks. It's fascinating to hear the vocal harmonies taken apart, to hear the strings isolated, to listen to parts of this song like I've never heard them. Well worth a look--ignore the fact that she mistakenly calls Richard by the wrong name--John :)
This was a joy. I always wonder how people get access to these isolated tracks. How does it work? What software is needed? Can you do this for their entire catalogue? I'm technologically clueless.

But thanks for a great find, Tony. I just wish Richard would do what this person's done...spend 20 minutes deconstructing a favourite track every week.

Best

Neil

As I recall, the multi-tracks for this song somehow got out "into the wild" some few years ago, and those who've managed access have used them to do all sorts of analyzing and filtering and isolating demonstrations that show up here and there on Youtube and elsewhere. Chris may know more about the hows and whys.

I’d be interested in the how’s and why’s lol How could something like this be leaked?
It would be the same as how the unreleased solo tracks were leaked. Someone got a copy (most likely a multi-track file rather than a 2-track Phillips cassette) and then they uploaded it. Or at Universal had someone hack their servers and the hacker downloaded the files.

This was a joy. I always wonder how people get access to these isolated tracks. How does it work? What software is needed? Can you do this for their entire catalogue? I'm technologically clueless.

But thanks for a great find, Tony. I just wish Richard would do what this person's done...spend 20 minutes deconstructing a favourite track every week.

Best

Neil
You're welcome Neil! Glad you enjoyed. For me, it was almost like experiencing a new song because I was hearing the harmonies in ways I hadn't before, and listening to all these isolated tracks truly highlights Richard's genius. It gives me an even greater appreciation for all the work and craft that went into their music. And it's evident that Emma (who is apparently a drummer) has lots of respect and admiration for the Carpenters--her reactions were wonderful.

Absolutely sensational! We need more of this stuff! Those vocals and the instrumentation are just amazing. Karen almost sounds like the 'Offering' style of singing in some of those backgrounds. SO awesome!

About 6 years ago I purchased something called "Presonus Studio" don't remember the version but there's been many updates and such, it doesn't even work anymore as I'd need to update, I'd assume.

In any event, it looked very similar to what this lady is using. I spent as much time as I could trying to figure out how to use it, but found myself overwhelmed. I did manage to record myself singing overtop of Andy Williams in his duet with Karen (I have an expensive mic setup as well, bought at the same time), on their version of Ticket to Ride; but it wasn't "mixed" right and sounded terrible LOL.

Hats off to those of you who know how to use software like this, properly.

Presonus Studio One is a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). You can use it to create songs. You can buy different VST instruments, like a whole orchestra and then you can assign different instruments to play the various parts of your song. You can also record vocals and or live instruments into audio tracks.

I was looking online to see if you could extract the parts of a song. From what I watched you could use Melodyne to convert the entire audio into a midi track and then you would have to assign a VST instrument to it. Say a piano. Then a piano would play all the notes for all the parts. If you wanted different instruments to play different parts, then you have to extract all the notes to go to that part to a different midi track. That might be a challenge since all the notes are in a large block and depending on how high or low each part goes they might overlap. I was going to say that the melody should be at the top, but if you have a flute or something like that, then it would be the top notes where ever it plays.

Presonus Studio One is a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). You can use it to create songs. You can buy different VST instruments, like a whole orchestra and then you can assign different instruments to play the various parts of your song. You can also record vocals and or live instruments into audio tracks.

I was looking online to see if you could extract the parts of a song. From what I watched you could use Melodyne to convert the entire audio into a midi track and then you would have to assign a VST instrument to it. Say a piano. Then a piano would play all the notes for all the parts. If you wanted different instruments to play different parts, then you have to extract all the notes to go to that part to a different midi track. That might be a challenge since all the notes are in a large block and depending on how high or low each part goes they might overlap. I was going to say that the melody should be at the top, but if you have a flute or something like that, then it would be the top notes where ever it plays.
There are several software programs out there that can separate and extract the actual elements of a mix. The technology as it is now can do a remarkable job separating vocals, drums, and bass. However, it currently struggles beyond those three types of elements. DeMix and RipX are two that can do this using what they call "AI" algorithms. There is also Spectralayers, which is more of a manual process.

Back
Top Bottom