Is My Offering Long Box the last sealed copy?

Kristopher

I have a copy of offering with the blue cover with alternate title from the 80s on Compact disc. (Have 4 remastered classics 1 sealed. So I don’t see myself using this.. ever. ) I dont any intention on opening this because as an audiophile I hate digital but tolerate the 2016 release simply because of the “ original” cover and being SHM quality. Once in a while I will play the blue ticket to ride remastered classic discs for sentimental reasons.

I’ve been typing in “ticket to ride long Box” and can not find ANY other SEALED copy then the one that is mine. (Was in my mother’s stash with every single original newsletter with trifolds. She joined at the age of 7 1971.)

I uploaded two pics of mine and I really think it’s Authentic due to the punch hole in the back and the way it’s sealed. She got it at a store called “Discount Records.” This is the last item I will ask advice lol I have just joined and there so many things I wanted to find out. Main question is Could my copy possibly be the last one sealed? I’ve been searching every site for years and have never seen one. Thanks again everyone!

141uah.jpg

2il0knb.jpg

Welcome to the forum Kristopher and may i say that sealed longbox is looking very good it is possible you may have one of the few remaining sealed copies of that particular edition of "Ticket to Ride" but even though I'm not sure 100% I'm guessing you definitely have a potential collectable I would hold on to that CD because I believe it's out of print on CD but may be available as a download but Congratulations on the great care you took of that Longbox

I wonder what it’s worth tho. I don’t wanna do a fake auction on eBay to find out then cancel that’s really unethical. Is there some type of value book professionals keep?

just my ten cents worth, the first thing to remember, is this is `ticket to ride`, not `offering` and that`s the biggest difference! I`ve never seen one of these, but I would say the only thing that adds any value to this, is the fact it`s still sealed and unused. like everything else `collectable`, condition is everything and there is a small amount of damage to it. I think value wise, it`s like everything isn't it, it`s only worth what someone is willing to pay for it :)

I'm sure there would be a market for an item like this as doubtless there aren't many longbox copies still out there - I'm sure most of the boxes got thrown away years ago. There are people who collect the longbox format, although the artwork on the box isn't very exciting (the longboxes that tend to sell for more money are those with extended artwork covering the full length of the box, which is what makes them special compared to the regular CD releases).

CD versions of Ticket to Ride always tend to sell for more than the other regular Carpenters albums (I've never really known why this is, as there have been plenty of reissues/copies of it floating around in the market). You might strike it lucky and find that one collector looking for this who's willing to pay handsomely to get it, but otherwise I wouldn't imagine it would sell for more than $20-$30. As Carpenters-Collector said, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and because it's not an item that comes up all that often, there's no way of knowing what the market rate is for it, unlike rarities like the original Offering album, which tends to go for the same sort of price on eBay whenever it appears on there.

On this subject though (and I've recently been reading old copies of Billboard from the early 1990s where the topic of longboxes being phased out kept being raised because of environmental concerns about the waste caused by the extra packaging - it took them years to finally do so), from a UK perspective, the longbox format was always baffling. Why didn't stores just create different storage shelves/racks for CDs like they did here rather than making record companies create extra packaging that would fit into 12" record racks? Madness!

I’ve seen EMPTY ticket to ride Long boxes for $60 ALONE. So 30 at most I feel is an underestimation. I saw a sealed Song For You Long Box right now for $350. There has to be some type of value book. If it doesn’t sell whe. On market for long, someone WILL eventually pay market price you would think.

I’ve seen EMPTY ticket to ride Long boxes for $60 ALONE. So 30 at most I feel is an underestimation. I saw a sealed Song For You Long Box right now for $350. There has to be some type of value book. If it doesn’t sell whe. On market for long, someone WILL eventually pay market price you would think.

Has the A Song for You longbox actually sold for $350 though? If not, it sounds like someone taking a punt and putting an inflated price ticket on it to see if anyone would be prepared to buy it, rather than it actually being worth that kind of money.

I suspect this item is far too niche to appear in any record collector's price guide book (not that there's many of these books still around these days). Because it's so niche, only a few collectors are going to be interested in it, so if you list it as an auction, it may not sell for all that much unless you get lucky and get a bidding war going between two collectors who both want it.

Alternatively, you can always list it as a 'buy it now' price to see if anyone bites at whatever price you want for it. Don't try a fake sale though - it's easy to get banned from eBay doing this.

Of course, you don't have to sell it at all!

I don't know. I saved a bunch of longboxes way back when, never having the heart to throw them out. It's possible that my stash contains a bunch of Carpenters, surely some Herb Alpert and Sergio Mendes titles, and some Beatles, along with other albums I bought on CD in that era. Every time I checked eBay over the years, they weren't exactly a hot item. Perhaps they've become more popular over time.

As to the TICKET TO RIDE sealed version, it surely has value just as a CD 4205/DX 835. That was the first issue of TICKET on CD. Those are listing in the $20 range on Discogs, having sold for around $15 - and that's for used copies. Sealed, this should command more of a price. Now, there's also the factor of the drill-hole. Typically, these longboxes contained the CD in the bottom half, and the drill-hole represents a cutout. The store that sold this had reduced it to $6.99, when the price of CDs back then was typically $15-$20. The drill-hole was to prevent returns to the store at the higher price, and was placed where it is to go through the jewel-case too. I hope it didn't get the CD disc!

Advice: hang onto it as long as you can. If you find yourself in a situation where you need some money, then sell it. It's value should only increase. It's not like you need to listen to this disc, so don't open it. I'm normally an advocate of opening all records as they were meant to be played, but that's only in a case where you want the music and don't have any other way of hearing it. We've only known you a couple of days, but we're already aware of your multiple copies of this, your favorite album. I'm with you, by the way - it's on my desert island list.

I actually am looking to get rid of this but nothing else. I play offering on vinyl 95% of the time i listen to this album as i cant stand the newer cover. Its not a concern about the vinyl rarity because i own 3 copies in mint condition.

I actually am looking to get rid of this but nothing else. I play offering on vinyl 95% of the time i listen to this album as i cant stand the newer cover. Its not a concern about the vinyl rarity because i own 3 copies in mint condition.

you have 3 mint copies? blimey, it`s hard enough finding one :)

I wouldn't take much notice of prices you see on the internet, just because you see it, dos`nt make it so!
as an example, I`ve seen the 40th anniversary set on the internet in various places, ranging from £500 - £800+ .............. I`ve never seen them sell. like I said, something is only worth what people are prepared to pay, so if you don`t need the money, hang on to them, because your young enough to see the 100th anniversary of the carpenters, so imagine values then, especially for those `offering` vinyls and that `offering` 8 track :)

It didnt take alot of effort getting 3 they are all over ebay if youre willing to cough up the money. My third copy i got for 50 cents at an antique store. You Have no idea how bad I want that anniversary set. This long box I am perfectly OK with parting with. On a copy of Offering I may wait for awhile.

It didnt take alot of effort getting 3 they are all over ebay if youre willing to cough up the money. My third copy i got for 50 cents at an antique store. You Have no idea how bad I want that anniversary set. This long box I am perfectly OK with parting with. On a copy of Offering I may wait for awhile.
You are One Very Lucky fellow I have the remastered version of this CD ( from the late 90s) if I had found this longbox original back in the 80s when it was released I would have kept it but whatever you choose to do with it I wish you very much success I'm sure you will find a diehard carpenters fan/collector or just a collector in general who will love to have a piece of History like this

The drill-hole was to prevent returns to the store at the higher price, and was placed where it is to go through the jewel-case too. I hope it didn't get the CD disc!
That drill-hole DOES look like it would be mighty close to the CD itself.

Try this: On those longboxes, the CD (in jewel case) is placed at the very bottom of the box. So, take another CD (in a clear box, if you have one) and place it over the package at the bottom end. If the drill-hole is where the CD would be...then the whole thing is probably worthless.

Other than that, it's a keeper for sure. The drill-hole IS an unfortunate thing, as collectors typically want their items in as "pristine" condition as possible, but for the right fanatic it could be worth $$$ someday.

I took a closer look at the photo with the drill hole I remember they always placed the CD in the boxes with the front cover in tandem with the jewel box displaying the front cover on the same side as you take it out and since they know this at the factory they usually put the drill hole on the far left side ( if you're viewing it on the front side closer to the spine) so my guess is it didn't touch the CD I bought a few of these longboxes with drillholes and they never got anywhere near the CDs themselves so I think you got a Very good item there .

Hi Kristopher - I might be interested in buying that long box from you. How much do you want for it? Would you be able to take a close-up picture of that drill hole? Thanks!

they always placed the CD in the boxes with the front cover in tandem with the jewel box
You're right, upon a closer look it appears that the jewel box would get drilled between the edge of the front cover and the spine, so the CD should be good.

Cody I’m not selling it it’s from someone very special I just wanted to know the value of it. I wanted to know what it might be worth because I thought it would be cool to know I have something rare on my hands along with my Beatles butcher cover and 4 copies of offering total (Yeah that 8 track lol. ) I think this is the last time I will ask what something is worth I appreciate everybody’s advice on my record. CD and Stereo 8 Cartridge. thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Back
Top Bottom