It's All About Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Electric Light Orchesta has a concept album called TIME.

Contains one of my favorite songs of theirs, "Yours Truly, 2095."

Actorman said:
"Time and Tide" by Basia (That was an album title, anyway. I am assuming it was also a song.)

Yep. The title track. :agree:

Of course, there are tunes that actually contain specific time:

1 O'Clock Jump - Count Basie
2 O'Clock Jump - Harry James
3 O'Clock Jump - Herb Alpert

Capt. Bacardi

"Rock Around The Clock" - Bill Haley & The Comets

Harry

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
Mike said:
“25 or 6 to 4” -- Robert Lamm

Mike

This particular song has been mentioned "Time After Time" (Cyndi Lauper).

Ed

I think it's only The Second Time Around (Performed on the Duke Ellington 65 album) for that song to be mentioned.

Regards,
Mike

Mike said:
I think it's only The Second Time Around (Performed on the Duke Ellington 65 album) for that song to be mentioned.

There's a Mancini song with that title--would it be the same one?

Hi Rudy,
The Ellington version of The Second Time Around is from the Bing Crosby film High Hopes. Writing credits are listed as Cahn and Van Heusen.

Regards,
Mike

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
Mike said:
“25 or 6 to 4” -- Robert Lamm

Mike

This particular song has been mentioned "Time After Time" (Cyndi Lauper).

Ed

...Or mentioned "Time After Time" by Chris Montez...! :uhhuh:

Larry said:
Found another one: The Last Time by Bread

...And I mentioned that one on the LAST PAGE...! :unhunh:

Dave :D

Dave wrote "...And I mentioned that one on the LAST PAGE...!"

Sorry about that Dave, I checked the posts. I must have missed it

Larry said:
...Sorry about that Dave, I checked the posts... ...I must have missed it...

That's OK, Larry--'Cuz...

...The next time around, I'll keep my feet on the ground; I won't sail off on the first wind that blows... ...The next time around, my world won't come crashin' to the ground; 'Cause now I know how easy, love comes and goes... -- Jim Weatherley, "The Next Time Around"

Dave

Mike said:
...We wouldn’t want to overlook Herb Alpert’s rendition of “Summertime”... ...I’m not so sure that Gershwin would recognize his own song the way Herb performs it on the album SUMMERTIME...

I'm sure the Brothers Gershwin would appreciate what Herb has done to their Signature Classic, "Summertime" more than Janis Joplin's version... Other versions, both Vocal and Instrumental, come to mind, such as Paul Desmond, Brass Fever, Gabor Szabo, Ray Charles--The list really goes on-and-on--...!!!

battery.gif
:neutral:inkshield:​

Dave

Dave, for the record, I like Herb’s version of “Summertime”. While I did not fall in love with it the first time I heard it (caught me by surprise), it did grow on me. I like the heavy (thump, thump) base playing. I have the “Summertime” album, but this song is on the “Solid Brass” CD too, which I also have.

In the summer, summer, time… easy livin’ everyday :cheers:

Regards,
Mike

As regards SUMMERTIME...I've never heard this version before or since. Does anybody know a little more about this song?

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
As regards SUMMERTIME...I've never heard this version before or since. Does anybody know a little more about this song?

"Summertime" is originally from Porgy And Bess and has become a standard over the years. Look for the version by Lambert, Hendricks & Ross, which is very similar to how Herb did it later.

Capt. Bacardi

"Summertime," one of Herb's best vocal tracks in my opinion. Though I did wonder how he ever managed to come up with that arrangement...never realized he'd been influenced as the Captain notes above.

A few "Also-Rans"...:​

Time -- Booker T. & Priscilla Jones (from their Chronicles album)

Next Time, This Time -- Jim Croce (...There ain't gonna be a next time, this time, 'cause woman, startin' right now...)

Don't Take Your Time -- Roger Nichols & The Small Circle Of Friends

And what should'a been the "Most-Obvious"...:​

Time Will Show You The Wiser -- The Merry•Go•Round

Dave

Mike Blakesley said:
"Summertime," one of Herb's best vocal tracks in my opinion. Though I did wonder how he ever managed to come up with that arrangement...never realized he'd been influenced as the Captain notes above.

It made sense several years ago when I noticed the credit to Lambert, Hendricks & Ross on the back of the LP. Sad thing is, the majority of TJB listeners back then probably had no idea who or what LH&R were, or could make the connection. (And the way many jazz listeners disdained the type of music that "instrumental" artists made, there's little chance they would have heard it either. :wink: ) The acoustic bass was something you rarely heard on a TJB album up to that point, too. It's a very sparse arrangement.

LH&R are an acquired taste, but they did take a lot of liberties with melody and lyric. Quite musically adventurous if you have an open mind! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom