It's Christmas in July! Bruce Forsyth's Big Night [COMPLETE BROADCAST]

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
In light of our recent discussion in another thread about Karen's performance of "Please Mr. Postman" on Bruce Forsyth's Big Night from December, 1978, I thought I'd post all four segments here for all to enjoy to help cool everyone off this summer! Parts one and two here, and three and four in the next post.

PART ONE:

PART TWO:

If i remember correctly the interview where karen says that she is going to be on the bruce Forsyth show is out there.

This version of INTBIL just kills me.
And her vocal on "Merry Christmas Darling" does the same for me as well!

I've always said that I wish Karen had delivered her live vocals in concert much in the way she did on this performance. None of the exaggerated twang and all of that like she did often in other live performances.

Now, somewhere there has to be these versions without the canned applause. Right?

Chris May. I love these. INTBIL gave goosebumps. MCD without the BG vocals makes it all new all over again. The canned applause is annoying I guess, but the crew giggling is lovely after “Brucie”. Genuine.

such good quality!! Thank you.

Something that I noticed when Karen sings White Christmas,
when she hits that high note on the lyric "L.A." (time 1:37-1:38),
I get the same chills as when she reaches her lower register !

And her vocal on "Merry Christmas Darling" does the same for me as well!

I've always said that I wish Karen had delivered her live vocals in concert much in the way she did on this performance. None of the exaggerated twang and all of that like she did often in other live performances.
Yes - I stated elsewhere recently that her performance of MCD here was not only as beautiful as one would expect but showed so obviously how confident and self-assured she had become in her vocal styling - she was simply in total control of every aspect of her performance. This is a consumate professional at work.

The footage I have is straight from the iTV archives, and does include the opening slate, which I edited out here.
I wonder, did you have any issues converting from the source, which I assume is PAL, to NTSC? Or is this a PAL upload? I'm getting some waviness/haziness on my screen in the scenes with quick movements -- I wonder if that's due to the PAL/NTSC framerate discrepancy? But the sound is beautiful -- listening at work now :)

I wonder, did you have any issues converting from the source, which I assume is PAL, to NTSC? Or is this a PAL upload? I'm getting some waviness/haziness on my screen in the scenes with quick movements -- I wonder if that's due to the PAL/NTSC framerate discrepancy? But the sound is beautiful -- listening at work now :)
The videos were converted to NTSC (as they are 29.97 fps), either by Chris himself, or by YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom